Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2017 5:28:10 PM EDT
I have a quick bench press question with a long back story.  Is it OK to bench with a narrow grip that puts my hands around shoulder's width on the bar?

I'm asking because some gym bro commented on my grip last week saying it was too narrow for the 225 pounds that I was pressing.  I told him that I was in a car wreck in 2007 that left me with nerve damage in my right shoulder and I bench press narrow to keep that pinched nerve from flaring up.  If I press on the competition rings with 135, the injury will flare up and knock me out of commission for a week or two.  If I bench narrow, which is roughly a thumb's length from where the knurling begins for each hand, I'm fine.

He then went on to argue that I could bench more if I adopted the wider grip, to which I gave up on him because I've been doing narrow grip for so long, that I doubt a wider, more painful grip will allow me to bench more weight.  Besides, it's not worth it to be able to work out chest and shoulders every other week if I do that.  

I'm going to butcher that motto and I can't remember who came up with it but IIRC he stated that one should bench as wide as they are comfortable with.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to mind his own business.  

Assuming that your form is correct, you are less susceptible to injury doing it your way.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Matt Wenning trains close grip a lot. As bud said, if your form is good you are better off it seems. Feel free to post a video if you want comments.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Post a pic of your biceps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
closer grip works your triceps more.

further out your chest.  tell him you are concentrating on triceps
View Quote
Triceps - elbows in. Chest - elbows out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Triceps - elbows in. Chest - elbows out.
View Quote
Depending on hand position, be careful with that "elbows out" bench press.  Shoulder problems can sometimes result from that.  Squeezing your scapulae together and holding that when you set up will help minimize shoulder issues.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses everyone.  I'm just going to keep doing what I have been doing and dismiss stupid suggestions in the gym as stupid suggestions.  As a personal trainer friend of mine said a few years ago: "If your bench is painful, play around with your grip until it doesn't hurt."  I found that a narrower grip was the way to go for me to minimize the right shoulder pain.

Now, when I close grip bench press for triceps, that grip is even narrower.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Just try to keep your forearms vertical and you will be good.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just try to keep your forearms vertical and you will be good.
View Quote
this. I find i have the best power this way, I dont use too narrow or too wide of a grip and try and keep my elbows tucked in.
My right elbow loves to swing out and it causes shoulder pain bad on me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone has a way that works best for them. If wide aggravates your shoulder then stay narrow. Im the opposite. I have a crap elbow so I go wide.
Technicaly on paper the wider grip should be stronger. The wider you go the less distance the bar will travel. The wider you go the larger degree of angle you will have from forearm to bicep which leaves you in a better position mechanicaly. Both of those ideas are related but separate.  Sometimes even though you are at a mechanical advantage you are shifting the load to a weaker muscle group [or injured, in your case] then it will still be a weaker lift.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top