Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2017 4:13:21 PM EDT
I ordered a Spud Bowtie Tuesday.  It's in the mail.

My right shoulder has been killing me ever since I had surgery on my left shoulder.  I'm guessing that tying down my clavicle has pulled something out of alignment...complete non-scientific guess.

Some days I can bench 275 just fine and some days my right shoulder hurts so bad I'm struggling to bench 135.  

I've also started playing a lot of disc golf just to get outside and that probably doesn't help with rotation and torque on the joint.  I'm also thinking about trying to play some professional disc golf tournaments.  

I've been doing face pulls with every workout, band pull apart and some rotator cuff movements.

Anybody have any experience with the Spud Bowtie?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I purchased one and it was okay. Kinda hard to get in and out of. Not worth $60 though. Returned it.

Pro tip, you can do the same thing with a yoga strap or couple athletic belts (kinda like football\baseball belts)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg9OaAoZB8Y
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I got it in the mail today.  I was pleasantly surprised as the delivery date was between July 31 and August 1st.

I've been wearing it off and on today.

Initial thoughts.  It does make my shoulder feel better and I've been working at my computer most of the day.  For the first time in a while, I've noticed that my shoulder doesn't ache as the day draws to a close.  I actually like wearing it while I work.  It forces me to pull my shoulders back after I'm done typing instead of sitting hunched over the keyboard thinking about the next thing I have to do.

It's not really comfortable.  I was kind of hoping that I'd be able to wear it longer but it chafes right around the bottom part of torso under the armpit.

Initial thoughts from my wife:  "I hope that makes your shoulder feel better but you look like a moron wearing it."  
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased one and it was okay. Kinda hard to get in and out of. Not worth $60 though. Returned it.

Pro tip, you can do the same thing with a yoga strap or couple athletic belts (kinda like football\baseball belts)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg9OaAoZB8Y
View Quote
I have used a yoga strap and I'm also aware of people using bands by crisscrossing the bands.

The big difference is that those don't provide nearly the level of compression and tightness that the bowtie does.
eat.

I put it on today prior to going to do squats.  It was night and day difference.  I had no discomfort initially getting under the bar and I was able to do far less warming up of my shoulder.

At first I didn't like how much compression it provided.  I was hoping that I would be able to wear it for most of my workday.  That said, when you remove it, there's a warming sensation as you feel blood push down through the shoulder and into your arms and hands that feels really invigorating.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Google Figure 8 clavicle  brace. $20@Walmart .   Various models  available from many retailers,  all less than that Bowtie .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top