Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 4:02:23 PM EDT
Started stronglifts 5x5 about a year ago. I've had to regress a few times due to breaks and hip pain. My right hip hurt in the beginning but went away over time. It thought it was a form issue that I had eventually fixed. I was doing fine and making good progress until I had to regress once I hit 240. Since then, I can't get past 185 without my hip just killing me. I feel like it's my hip flexor but so far none of the stretches i have tried help. It's also only my right side. My left has never hurt. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, in addition to your mobility work, which you should do daily, perhaps a lacrosse ball or something larger to rub out that area.

What part of your hip exactly? Internally by your groin or externally in your ass cheek area?

I have used a kettlebell handle to rub out (floss) my hip joint before squatting.

ALso, this stretch is excellent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mjBaLVlQWw
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the very front of my hip, low where it meets the thigh muscle kind of.  Once it starts to hurt, any sort of kicking like motion causes a good amount of pain.

Possibly related too; on that side my tendon used to pop when is walk or run. Snapping hip syndrome they call it I guess. Squatting seemed to help it as it doesn't do it much anymore but I'm wondering if they're related.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I do lots of lizard pose and twisted lizard pose from yoga.  Single best thing that keeps my hips from hurting during squats.  In fact on Thursdays I don't lift, just really dig in on the hip mobility, then I also do them just before I squat twice a week.

Putting a band on them is also really helpful.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Go see an orthopedic surgeon. Could be arthritis, iliopsoas tendinitis, labral tear, avascular necrosis, etc. Anyone who makes treatment recommendations without first making a diagnosis is silly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's the very front of my hip, low where it meets the thigh muscle kind of.  Once it starts to hurt, any sort of kicking like motion causes a good amount of pain.

View Quote
That same area on me is tight, all the time. I spent half the day today finishing 8" high concrete in a lunge position and it aches right now. A lacrosse ball or rumble roller to the area regularly helps a ton.

I think it's just like how some people get really tight hamstrings, I have really tight hips that are constantly in need of mobility work and massage.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Am in the same boat, only with the left hip.

No matter the warmup or stretching my hip would just freaking howl when I started my squat warmup at 135#.  First couple of warmup sets would just be absolute hell, then the pain would fade out enough to just suck it up and start stacking on plates to my work sets.  I'd come off the bar and barely be able to walk.  

It's bad enough I've got a MRI with dye contrast scheduled to see just what is going on in there.  The probable issue is a labral tear or possibly osteo necrosis, a tear they can fix, the necrosis might mean a replacement.  My wife, my doctor, damn near everyone said just stop squatting but I'm to damned stubborn and exercise is my chief weapon against diabetes.

I did discover just the other week a way to keep the pain down to tolerable levels however.

My wife and I had been to the big Europa fitness expo in Dallas the other weekend and she got talking to the folks at Inzer about her knee issues.  She ended up with a set of Inzer knee wraps to help her stabilize her knees.  One squat session she fell in love with them.  Just for grins I decided to try them, figured it couldn't make it any worse, why not.

Wrapped my knees, got under the bar, dropped below parallel and an amazing thing happened.  I didn't feel that tearing / ripping sensation in my left hip!  I could feel the deep ache of whatever issue is there, but the pain was very manageable.  Best guess is the wraps stabilized the knees so they weren't doing any external/internal rotation while I was squatting.  I've done a couple of lifting sessions now since wrapping the knees and it seems to be working, so much so, my own Inzer wraps are on the way.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am in the same boat, only with the left hip.

No matter the warmup or stretching my hip would just freaking howl when I started my squat warmup at 135#.  First couple of warmup sets would just be absolute hell, then the pain would fade out enough to just suck it up and start stacking on plates to my work sets.  I'd come off the bar and barely be able to walk.  

It's bad enough I've got a MRI with dye contrast scheduled to see just what is going on in there.  The probable issue is a labral tear or possibly osteo necrosis, a tear they can fix, the necrosis might mean a replacement.

My wife, my doctor, damn near everyone said just stop squatting but I'm to damned stubborn and exercise is my chief weapon against diabetes.

Semper Fi
View Quote
For the record, I only said to stop squatting on those days when the pain was enough to damn near make you fall over!  I was the one trying to get you to see Doc Killemquicker to find out WTF is going on in there!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help. I've been really stretching it the last few days and today tried the lizard pose before hand. Really seemed to help out today. No sharp pain or terrible soreness from that area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top