Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 2:41:24 PM EDT
I am not dropping them or doing anything extreme but was wondering if I should throw down a big pad or something. Carpet will get replaced eventually as I haven't changed it from when I moved in but if there is something cheap and easy that sounds better. Great if they can double for a workout mat for yoga and whatnot.

Saw these and they aren't expensive. Also have heard of guys using horse mats in the past.
Amazon Product
  • PROTECTIVE WORKOUT FLOORING - Durable, non-skid textured tiles protect floors while creating a comfortable workout space
  • EASY ASSEMBLY - Lightweight puzzle pieces connect quickly and easily, and can be disassembled just as simply for quick storage
  • VERSATILE - The water-resistant and noise-reducing design is easy-to-clean, great for use in garages, gyms, home fitness rooms, or even children's play areas

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The go to is usually horse stall mats
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am not dropping them or doing anything extreme but was wondering if I should throw down a big pad or something. Carpet will get replaced eventually as I haven't changed it from when I moved in but if there is something cheap and easy that sounds better. Great if they can double for a workout mat for yoga and whatnot.

Saw these and they aren't expensive. Also have heard of guys using horse mats in the past.
www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2TWXD6
View Quote

I have two sets of those making a 6'x8' area in my garage.  I use it as stretching, rolling and heavy bag area, no lifting on them, too squishy.  They're cheap, but works for that.

On top of carpet?  Is it thick, or heavily padded?  If so, those tiles will always be coming apart, same for the horse mat.  

If that's the case you might want to build more of a platform, then pad it.  You could do 2 sheets of plywood joined together (have to get creative), then the mats on top.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just pull carpet in your weight room and seal the floor?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Any Tractor Supply stores in your AO?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I thought about it but there are a few reasons I am not ready to do that yet but may be in the future.

I have no idea on the cost
I am not handy so anything other than laying stuff on the ground I would have to hire out
It is my great room which is right when you walk in the front door.
I don't know how long I am going to be in this house and might convert it into a rental
Quoted:
This.

Any Tractor Supply stores in your AO?
I am well within a 60 mile radius of hillbillyville so I am pretty sure I can find them if need be. Pretty healthy horse culture around here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You clean floor and roll on sealer. It's that easy. I don't know how it would look in your living room though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I do deadlifts on carpet, haven't seen any indication it is wearing it down.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:32:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You clean floor and roll on sealer. It's that easy. I don't know how it would look in your living room though.
View Quote
Oh,  my friend had it done and they had to grind it down and smooth it. Cost him $600-800 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh,  my friend had it done and they had to grind it down and smooth it. Cost him $600-800 bucks.
View Quote
To make it look real nice it needs a skim coat. But for a gym just to keep the dust down all you need to do is seal it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To make it look real nice it needs a skim coat. But for a gym just to keep the dust down all you need to do is seal it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome maybe I'll look into that for the future. That wouldn't prevent any future carpet or tile going back on it right?

I really don't know anything about this stuff
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Awesome maybe I'll look into that for the future. That wouldn't prevent any future carpet or tile going back on it right?

I really don't know anything about this stuff
View Quote
No, it's just a floor sealer.  You can put stuff on it later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top