Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 2:30:45 PM EDT
Let me first start by saying, the initial weight the app started me at was a complete joke. I think I added about 2x for most of the exercises.

That being said, even with the added weight it's only taking 30 minutes, or a little less. Is this normal? Do I need to add more weight? I'm still easily making it through all 5 sets, and don't take any rest between most of them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Let me first start by saying, the initial weight the app started me at was a complete joke. I think I added about 2x for most of the exercises.

That being said, even with the added weight it's only taking 30 minutes, or a little less. Is this normal? Do I need to add more weight? I'm still easily making it through all 5 sets, and don't take any rest between most of them.
View Quote

The point is to start low, learn the movements and condition the body.  Strength training changes your body on multiple levels, neurological, skeletal, etc., it takes time for those adaptations to occur.

That said, could you add 10-15lbs to your squat instead of 5lbs each session?  Sure, you could, but if you are totally untrained, you'll hit the wall that much faster.  

Think of training longer term.  You'll have 12 squat sessions a month, adding 5lbs each time, that's a 60lbs increase to your 5 rep worksets.  In three months, 180lbs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll get slower as you do more weight. The weight will get heavy soon enough.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The point is to start low, learn the movements and condition the body.  Strength training changes your body on multiple levels, neurological, skeletal, etc., it takes time for those adaptations to occur.

That said, could you add 10-15lbs to your squat instead of 5lbs each session?  Sure, you could, but if you are totally untrained, you'll hit the wall that much faster.  

Think of training longer term.  You'll have 12 squat sessions a month, adding 5lbs each time, that's a 60lbs increase to your 5 rep worksets.  In three months, 180lbs.
View Quote
I get what you're saying, and after adjusting the weight initially, I am keeping to the proscribed 5lbs increase. The problem I'm having is, am I spending enough time? A 30 minute or less workout seems pretty short. Should I be adding anything else in?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I get what you're saying, and after adjusting the weight initially, I am keeping to the proscribed 5lbs increase. The problem I'm having is, am I spending enough time? A 30 minute or less workout seems pretty short. Should I be adding anything else in?
View Quote
No. Do the program as written until it stops working.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll stick to it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll stick to it.
View Quote
And make sure you are using correct form. Video yourself for almost every lift.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10-15 lbs a week adds up fast.

You are training the movement for awhile, so you don't mangle yourself when it starts to get heavy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Also starting out you may not really need much for warm up sets or cool downs between sets.

I tend to take about 90 minutes for starting strength. 10 reps with just the bar or lighter plates. 5 with 25% 3 50% 2 75% then 3 sets of 5 with 2 minute cool downs and the time flies by. 5x5 adds a couple extra sets per exercise so theoretically should take longer.

Remember it's not cardio either so take your time and use perfect form. It sucks when you hit a wall cause your form sucks and you need to erase a few weeks progress to lift with proper form.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And make sure you are using correct form. Video yourself for almost every lift.
View Quote
This x11

Now is the time for you to be lifting very light and getting as perfect as possible in your lifts.  Don't w about the weight, it will increase and you'll look back and wish you could just keep stacking plates every week.

I went from completely untrained to 3x5 squats at 315 in about 8 months using the SS program.  And I stuck to it like it was scripture.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]
everyone feels that way in the beginning, just practice form if it is easy or slow the reps way down for some burn.
once it gets heavy youll be like "ok, this sucks."
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
When I started it, it was taking me about half an hour or so. As I got further in to it, I was at about 45 minutes or so. I was adding one extra exercise after the main 3 to get me to about an hour. Unfortunately I stopped for about a month for various reasons. It deloaded me by over 50%... Sucks that I was making progress and seeing some gains to start back almost at square one. Oh well, just gotta keep pushing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
It'll go quick in the beginning.  It takes longer as the weight increases  Don't side step the program.  It might be light today, but it'll get heavy before you know it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top