Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 2:15:22 PM EDT
So I've been doing keto for the better part of the last 2.5 years. I used to be a fatass, and cut around 100lb (from 265 down to 165). Then I started bro lifting, and have been powerlifting for almost a year now. Strength has gone way up, but I'm not as lean as I was last year so I probably should cut some fat. I'm up around 200lb now. Guesstimating, using my smartscale and handle estimator, BF % is 18-21%

Last summer I was running a decent amount in addition to lifting several times a week (bro-type split, not a powerlifting program) and eating paleo, but I didn't pay any real attention to nutrient timing or macros -- I just kinda ate fruit, vegetables, and meat -- not much in terms of complex carbs. I probably kept my intake to 100g or less daily. I kinda just reverted back to keto at some point because its familiar. I know keto is the best for burning fat, but I'll trade slower fat loss for better performance in the gym.

Anyways, it's almost summer again and I do like eating fruit (and I'm bored of keto), so I've been toying with the idea of stopping keto again, and doing something that allows more carb intake, along the lines of paleo.

Where do I start? I spent about an hour on youtube yesterday but I don't really feel that I learned anything -- just that there are a gazillion diet plans out there.

I lift evenings, usually every other day. Mostly following Rippetoe's Texas Method. I try to squeeze in 1 or 2 additional workouts a week to work on accessory/stability stuff and maybe some cardio.

How many times a day should I eat?

When should I eat carbs -- morning, before lifting, after lifting? Should off days be more or less carb loaded than workout days? How many per meal?

According to TDEEcalculator.net I'm at around 3000 kcal for maintenance. I could stand to lean out a bit, so lets call it 2600 kcal a day. Their low carb diet macro suggestion for me is 128g carb, 114g fat, 256g protein. Moderate carb is 224g carb, 99g fat, 192g protein.  Layne Norton's "contest prep calculator" puts 1lb/wk loss at 197 carb, 44 fat, 197 protein (which is 2000 kcal/day compared to 2600).

I'd like to stick as close to whole foods/paleo as I can, so carb sources will be stuff like sweet potatos and quinoa and oats, plus natural sugar in terms of fruit (mostly the high fiber/low sugar types like strawberries) and dairy (whole milk), as opposed to bread/pasta/processed food.

So yeah, any input is welcome, especially if you guys know of pre-made meal plans and what not. What's the consensus on Layne's stuff?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You really need to find what works well for you.

If your goal is muscle gain then i would go with more like 5+ meals a day for optimum protein use and not worry too much about carbs.

If you want a slow cut i'd do if, get all your food in an 8 hour window and keep carbs low.

Try your carbs before and after working out and see which way is better for you. Usually even absent carbs you will have all the glucose you need in your muscles so afterward may work better to help replenish faster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top