Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2017 11:24:06 AM EDT
I'm trying to get back in shape to get back to the gym.  I have significant back and knee injuries and pain.  Anyone have any workout programs that target the back and core from a beginner level, websites or such that would be helpful to getting me to my goal of getting past this back pain and back to the gym?  Lower back and neck injuries are the most painful.  Looking for something that is either a combination or a continuation of physical therapy exercises to beginning core exercises.

HaM
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out marks daily apple.  He does a lot of work modifications that allow you to start from a very weakened state.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
@HeartsAndMinds
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I will take a look.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you talked with your PT about what they would recommend, or maybe ask them about modifications to specific programs based on what they know about your injuries.

Pretty much every exercise can be modified to use as injury recovery, it's just hard for strangers to make recommendations without knowing specifically what is wrong with you and how to avoid making it worse.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm trying to get back in shape to get back to the gym.  I have significant back and knee injuries and pain.  Anyone have any workout programs that target the back and core from a beginner level, websites or such that would be helpful to getting me to my goal of getting past this back pain and back to the gym?  Lower back and neck injuries are the most painful.  Looking for something that is either a combination or a continuation of physical therapy exercises to beginning core exercises.

HaM
View Quote

Can you provide more details on what motions hurt or the nature of the pain?

For example, I tore a muscle in my low back last year, but I found dead that it only hurts on heavy deadlifts and when I am slightly wrong on squat positioning.  So I now can use it as a marker of absolutely perfect positions in the squat.

I also have a knee that gives me pain, but normally only when squatting heavy, so I find a balance of weight and reps, or variations that won't hurt.

I would rather see you do full depth squats with bands to support your weight if it hurts, than pursue variations that will create imbalances a day wont help you get full mobility.

I'd rather see you correctly deadlift a pillow than adapt to some lift that won't ever help.  That's my recommendation anyway.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
YouTube althleanx he has an entire series online. If you find that it works for you, you can buy his stuff. He is a physical therapist as well as a personal trainer.
I would buy his stuff but I am too cheap
And I am getting great results from the free youtube.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for athleanx. As someone who has gone through 2 acls over the past 2 years I feel your pain, literally. For me, squats and quad extensions are a no go. Lunges and stairs are also out for now both due to weakness and pain. Hack squats are fine, in PT I used a total gym which worked well. When they got easy I added a 25lb weight on my chest. Also do lots of hamstring curls(mine has a 40+% deficit compared to my good leg) and single leg presses. Those are things I work on, hope it helps.

It's been great getting back to the gym, I missed lifting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top