Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 1:32:10 PM EDT
So I prefer using random stuff to workout with instead of free weights. For example, this morning I decided to drag my spare "brodozer" tire 100 ft down and back. (It's a 37" on a 17" rim)  I rotated that with a flat car tire. 3 pushups off of the tire and then stand and lift/toss the tire in the air. The SO and I rotated doing these exercises for 20 minutes and did 4 rounds.

Anyways, I have been looking at brute force training and their sandbags and wondering if anyone here has any experience with them or sandbag exercises in general. Was also considering being cheap and filling up an old Army duffel bag with bags of pea gravel or sand for weight and using that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
My lifting buddy got one of the 200 lb sets from brute force. The quality is good and we like it. No sand has leaked from the bags. We like how it is loadable. Your idea would probably be just fine too, except you wouldn't get any cool stickers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
This is an Ironmind sandbag.  250# as filled here.  If either you or your SO is a girl, it might be a little difficult to workout with though.  

I've used rogue's sandbag that has the grab handles on it, and it's excellent for what you're wanting it for.  But it will only go up to about 90# or so.  I like to uses that with a partner and do lateral throws to each other.  Do like 300 in a row, and you will be done.  Or throw it around a track.  400 meters.  Soflete used to program a lot of that.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my brute force bags.  Just wish they were a little less expensive.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking of doing the same thing but loading up a bunch of the plastic protein powder jugs I have laying around.
load them up with cement or something then duct tape wrap them to reinforce then make some handles out of some kind of military straps.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is an Ironmind sandbag.  250# as filled here.  If either you or your SO is a girl, it might be a little difficult to workout with though.  

I've used rogue's sandbag that has the grab handles on it, and it's excellent for what you're wanting it for.  But it will only go up to about 90# or so.  I like to uses that with a partner and do lateral throws to each other.  Do like 300 in a row, and you will be done.  Or throw it around a track.  400 meters.  Soflete used to program a lot of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeW7tj5wTx0
View Quote
2 things about that video

1)  Lawyer is one incredibly tough SOB.  Emulating a simple sandbag pick like that has me staggering around and looking like I'm drunk and hoisting a bag of bobcats.  I bought that same bag on his recommendation and I'm pretty much scared of it.

2) Them are some pretty fat ladies photo bombing MOABing your video at the end.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My lifting buddy got one of the 200 lb sets from brute force. The quality is good and we like it. No sand has leaked from the bags. We like how it is loadable. Your idea would probably be just fine too, except you wouldn't get any cool stickers.
View Quote
Same here.

There must be a bazillion exercises one can do with them.

The Brute Force site has some interesting/killer workouts.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#7]
The new Rogue "Strongman" sandbag offering (no straps, etc.) looks interesting.

Anyone have experience with them?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember this one time there was this guy who had a giant tire fall on him and pin him to the ground. You know anybody like that?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the amazon version and love it. Brute Force has great workouts on their site too. It is nice to have something that can have varied used. For example, the other day my wife and I took our daughter for a hike and I lugged around a 70# bag with a 35# kettlebell clipped to it. Good ruck.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been buying Brute Force sandbags for several years now. Love them. They even made my wife a couple custom bags in purple.

Great customer service so I don't mind paying the higher price vs some others. I had one of my handles start coming off the bag. They gave me a label to send it in, they stitched it up like mad and sent it back. Have not had a problem since.

I hope to get one of their "Brute Balls" here soon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember this one time there was this guy who had a giant tire fall on him and pin him to the ground. You know anybody like that?
View Quote
Nope. No clue. Although my memory is fuzzy due to a unknown head injury
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
@Pachucko show I don't have the Strongman, I opted to build a cheap version of it to see how well I liked training with sand before spending so much. I used a cheap ?Rothco brand? bag for the outer shell and i love not having handles. Really works out the forearms although I can't compare it to one with handles. I haven't had any issues with no handles. The only thing I have noticed where handles would help is I developed blisters on the top of my knuckles from grabbing the bag. Calluses formed and I'm happy. Noticeable improvement in grip strength which helps with pistol grip and recoil management and the calluses I like for when I have to go hands on with a subject.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have no experience with the rogue strongman bag but Brute force has similar offerings.

They have what they call their "barebones" sandbags. These are similar to their normal bags just without the handles. They are long and tubular vs the rogues that look shorter and thicker. Might be hard to so squats and cleans with that rogue style. I guess it depends on what kind of workouts you want to do.

Brute force also has their new "Brute Balls" which are obviously ball in shape. They have an up-to 300 pounder for 149. https://bruteforcetraining.com/collections/barebones-sandbags/products/brute-ball-by-brute-force-indoor-outdoor-soft-stone-heaviest-300lb-capacity-includes-inner-filler
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife and I got a Brute Force sandbag/KB sandbag set. Sandbag is rated for 75 or 80 pounds, KB sandbag for 45#. Also got a condor sentry plate carrier from Rogue fitness and am pulling together some scrap steel plate to make my own weights. This is a great resistance workout if your knees and back are strong. Right now, working with 12#, but want to work up to 20# for Murph.

The Brute Force stuff is very well made. Material is strong and the inner bags fold over to keep the weight in. We used pea gravel. Comes with 50# and 30# inner bags. Lots of handles for whatever you need to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top