Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 5:29:59 PM EDT
I really need to begin doing this, I am just wrecked getting home at night lately and my workout frequency is suffering.

Aside from being groggy in the morning, my muscles and joints are quite cold. I haven't done early morning workouts since college, and only then because of pre-season for soccer. Even then those first couple hundred yards of warmup run felt like the tin man trying to get all his stuff working again.

Between waking up and beginning a warm up for some heavy sets how do you guys go about it? I have some body weight work included, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't move them to first thing to act as part of the warmup, then get into the heavy sets.

The waking up early part isn't an issue, I can deal with that just fine, it's getting past that sleep inertia and getting properly warmed up that concerns me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, I just do a minute of jumping jacks and some stretches tailored to my workout.  

I am good to go after that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm good to go after 3 to 5 minutes of light cardio. Depending upon what I'm doing that day, I'll do some dynamic stretching, too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know, I just do a minute of jumping jacks and some stretches tailored to my workout.  

View Quote
This or some jump rope.

Then I just work with the bar, usually variations of whatever lift I'm starting with that day.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
My low back is always really tight and can hurt if not warmed up.  A few minutes on a rower is perfect, start nice and slow, eventually get pulling harder and faster and I end up rowing about 400yds by the time I feel warmed up and ready.  The first 150 are really slow.  Then stretch the hips (20 minutes or so) and start squatting.  I don't warm up nearly as long for other lifts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Good answers so far.  That's why people warm up.  I like to jump rope to get the blood flowing and my body temp up and then do something to get ready for what I'm going to be doing during my workout.  I get up at 4:40 am to get to the gym by 5:30.  Late nights make that tough.  You have to decide what's more important to you (socializing or staying fit) the night before and live with your decision.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I always start with jumping jacks, windmills, and stretches to get the blood moving.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Alarm goes off, hit snooze, pound preworkout, go back to sleep.

You will be up in short order, ready to lift.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
5 minutes on the AirDyne followed by shoulder and elbow warm ups does it for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Like others said, you have to warm up your body overall, then warmup sets.

I like to jump rope, but rowing, jogging, or the assault bike are all good.  Do some dynamic stretching (I like the Limber 11) and some bodyweight warmups or a few sets of a light complex.

I'm 42 and when I work out in the morning, usually weekends, I warm up for about 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I am 43, I get up at 4:40 am and am at the gym by 5:30.  I do a set or two with an empty bar and then start the prescribed 5/3/1 warm ups and hit it hard.  

I do find that some mornings I am weaker than others and definitely weaker in the mornings than I am when I occasionally work out in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of coffee.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#12]
The defranco agile 8 would be a good warmup that doesn't take long.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I've almost always lifted very early in the morning before work. For the past year I was getting up between 0230-0300, taking a preworkout, waiting 30 and shitting my guts out then hitting the gym. I typically do a couple of warm up sets of 15-20 reps and that's all I've ever needed.

I've always been more consistent if I start my day with a workout vs doing something after work. I will say that I seem to lift heavier in the afternoon vs the empty stomach of the morning.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I mainly do cardio and some light calisthenics in the morning. Any free weights is the afternoon. It's how my body works. I feel better after a morning cardio session.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top