Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 7:59:40 AM EDT
I recently placed an order with My Protein and they included a free bag of l-theanine. Using my google-fu, I've found all kinds of (somewhat) conflicting information about when to take it and how much to take. Unfortunately, the "directions" on the package are lacking when it comes to this info. Some say to take it in the morning w/ coffee (I currently use coffee as my creatine vehicle). Some say to take it throughout the day. While others say take it at night to help with sleep. Sleep is the part I'm interested in. I'm a little confused how something that can help with sleep is something that others would advise taking either in the morning or throughout the day. Seems a little counterintuitive to me.

Does anyone here have any experience with l-theanine supplements? What do you take it for and when do you take it? How much?

thanks in advance for any info
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a bit contradictory:  it may improve mental focus but may also have a calming effect.  So is it a pre-workout thing or a pre-sleep thing?

Either way it probably doesn't do much.

Depending on the type of tea and how it's brewed, there's 20-80mg of it in a cup of tea, so that much should be safe.

Personally, I throw it out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#2]
some things you may want to try:
Evlution Test
I recently tried this. I was interested in recovery/sleep while maintaining healthy T levels. I didnt need a T booster. I really liked it and immediately could tell my sleep was better. Having 2 small children that always wake up in the middle of the night multiple times I hardly ever got into deep sleep. The first night I took this I got into deep sleep and had some crazy dream about zombies etc. It works. I swear my beard grew several inches in the month I took this. Downside is you are supposed to take it on an empty stomach, I never did this. Results could improve if you did possibly.

ZMA
Ive read alot of good things about this one. I havent tried it yet though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got some ZMA and usually combine it with 5-HTP before bed, but I don't like taking things for sleep long-term. I'll usually use the ZMA/5-HTP for about a month, then lay off for a few weeks. I've tried melatonin, and it works, but it tends to leave me groggy in the morning. I haven't spent a lot of time looking into T boosters, but one that I've been eyeing has been Old School Labs Vintage Boost.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got some ZMA and usually combine it with 5-HTP before bed, but I don't like taking things for sleep long-term. I'll usually use the ZMA/5-HTP for about a month, then lay off for a few weeks. I've tried melatonin, and it works, but it tends to leave me groggy in the morning. I haven't spent a lot of time looking into T boosters, but one that I've been eyeing has been Old School Labs Vintage Boost.
View Quote
yeah I was looking at the OSL one as well.
I dont like long term stuff either or being dependent. But its been a LONG time since ive had some rock solid sleep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top