Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2017 1:36:14 PM EDT
I noticed recently that Aldi has a special buy Proton powder for $14.99 so I thought I would try it.  

It compares really closely to the Walmart powder I usually get that cost $16.98.

The brand names are:

Aldi = Elevation
Walmart = Body Fortress

The labels are as follows:

Aldi

Walmart:

First thing to notice is the calories and amount of protein are nearly identical.  Aldi brand has double the potassium which is really beneficial for me and my blood pressure.  Aldi brand also has half the sugar, though both don't really have that much.

One thing that annoys me about the Aldi brand is the proprietary labeling.  I assume it is the exact mixture as the Walmart brand so it annoys me they just don't list it.  

The taste is similar to the point I can not tell the difference.  

Both mix similar as well, which is just mediocre in milk, but mixes well in greek yogurt.  

Overall, I will start using the Aldi brand until they remove it from the store which could be any length of time.  I doubt it is a year round product though hopefully they will make it one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Labdoor?

Myprotein ended up a lot cheaper than Walmart stuff simply when you look at what's actually protein instead of amino acids (which are used to cheaply bump the numbers on the label).

I'd suggest you compare all the aspects, you might find that you're better off as far as price per gram of protein with the quality stuff.  Also, the cheap crap has a bunch of gut irritants like xantham gum and some other stuff that that really wipes me out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
No doubt I should order it, but I often just pick up the easy stuff.  I readily concede myprotein is one of the best values available.

Edit:  Checked to see my best deal I could get on myprotein.  If I order the 8.8 pound bag and then a cheap t-shirt to push the total to just over $90 I can get a stacking 5% and 35% discount making my total per serving be $0.308, that is dirt cheap plus I get a t-shirt.

Going to go ahead and order and use my Aldi half bottle as backup or when I want flavor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really like the ingredients list on my stuff any longer than "Whey, Soy Lecithin"

I bought some Walmart stuff in a pinch once and it was awful, tasted like the stuff they use to sweeten diet soda and had a bunch of weird sounding ingredients in it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't really like the ingredients list on my stuff any longer than "Whey, Soy Lecithin"

I bought some Walmart stuff in a pinch once and it was awful, tasted like the stuff they use to sweeten diet soda and had a bunch of weird sounding ingredients in it.
View Quote
I've found that everything basically tastes the same and mixes the same if I put it in plain greek yogurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top