Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2017 11:34:50 AM EDT
Palmetto State's strongest man is this summer in July and I've considered doing it.  I have never done a strongman event before and have limited experience with the events.  I have two options for weight: Novice LW (225 and under) and Open Lightweight (181 and under). My thoughts would be to do the novice since the weights are lighter, even though I might be giving up 40lbs.  I have no illusions I'll be a top performer, I just want to do my best.  Events are as follows:

Event Details:

Event 1: Max 18 inch Deadlift for SC State Record:
-3 attempts, rising bar
-No Sumo!
- Men go up by 40lb increments/Women go up by 20lb increments
- If you fail and have remaining attempts you can re-attempt at same weight or higher.  
-Auction Style first person to lift weight successfully will win tie breaker in case of one
- Down signal will be given win hips are locked out and shoulder/knees are behind the bar
-Chalk, straps, belts allowed NO SUITS!

Event 2:  Viking Press for Reps:
-Head to Head Event
- Down Command will be giving for each rep
-Push-press only (no jerks of any kind)
-You can set the implement down and re-attempt if you have time remaining
-Max Reps in 45 seconds
- Wrist wraps, sleeves, Chalk, and belt only
Weights:  
LW Novice women 105 Lbs
HW Novice women 125lbs
LW Women 125LBs
MW Women 150lbs
HW Women 175lbs
LW Novice Men 225lbs
HW Novice Men 275lbs
LW Men 275lbs
MW Men 325lbs
HW Men 375lbs
SHW Men 425lbs
LW Masters Men 275lbs
HW Masters Men 325lbs

Event 3: Frame Carry
HEAD to HEAD
Straps Allowed Belt Allowed
20 feet fastest time/farthest distance wins
Just the front of the implement needs to cross the line
LW Women’s Novice 300Lbs
HW Women Novice 375lbs
LW Women 375lbs
MW Women 425lbs
HW Women 475lbs  
LW Novice Men 500lbs
HW Novice Men 550lbs
LW Men 550lbs
MW Men 650lbs
HW Men 750lbs
SHW Men 850lbs
LW Masters Men 550lbs
HW Masters Men 650lbs
*Weights Subject to increase after testing*

Event 4 Fingals Finger For reps
Max Reps in 60 seconds; rep does not count until it lands on the tire on the opposite side
Novice LWW 200lb
Novice HWW- 230lbs
LWW- 230lbs
MWW- 240lbs
HWW- 250bs
Novice LWM- 300lbs
Novice HWM- 320lb
LWM- 320lbs
MWM/Masters- 340lbs
HWM- 360lbs
SHWM- 380lbs

Event 5 Keg Load for reps
-52 inch platform for men/48 inch platform for women
- Max Reps in 60 Seconds
- Athlete will load keg to a platform. Rep will be counted as good when the keg is flush against the back of
the platform. Down command will then be given and athlete will return the leg to the ground. Only the corner
of the keg needs to touch the ground. No up command, just touch and go.

LW Novice Women 125lbs
HW Novice Women 150lbs
LW Women 150lbs
MW Women 175lbs
HW Women 200lbs
LW Novice Men 200lbs
HW Novice Men 225lbs
LW Men 225lbs
MW Men 250lbs
HW Men 275lbs
SHW Men 300lbs
LW Masters Men 225lbs
HW Masters Men 250lbs

Any advice for first timers??
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
My advice would be to test out the events using that gym's equipment, a.s.a.p.  That may determine whether you go novice or open.  Strongman equipment is notoriously different from contest to contest, gym to gym.  You may kill that weight on a viking press you've used, but not be able to budge the one at the event.  Likewise with the frame.  Usually they will let you come in and test stuff out ahead of time.  I did a 360# fingal finger in a contest.  At my gym, with our finger, what we thought was 360# was easy.  Using the contest equipment, it was twice as hard.

Also, it would be nice to find some other guys who are training this event and do a few event days with them.  You will probably learn a lot regarding techniques.  You definitely don't want to walk in there and compete never having tried some of the events.

eta:  strongman is a lot of fun and guys are usually very inclusive and supportive
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice. Since this is my first event I'll likely just go LW novice since the weights are a little lighter. I'll reach out to the gym to see if I can swing in on a Saturday and test some of the stuff out.  Worst case if it looks like the events are too heavy for a good showing in July at least I'll know what my base level of strength needs to be going forward.

What should my squat, deadlift, ohp ect be at before I dive into this?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice. Since this is my first event I'll likely just go LW novice since the weights are a little lighter. I'll reach out to the gym to see if I can swing in on a Saturday and test some of the stuff out.  Worst case if it looks like the events are too heavy for a good showing in July at least I'll know what my base level of strength needs to be going forward.

View Quote
If this is your first contest, do the LW Novice unless there's like, no one else. Second, as LawyerUp said, get on the implements ASAP. Practice, practice with more than contest weight if you can.

Looks like a tough event, I'm jealous. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who knows.  It has an 18" deadlift, so I'd start seeing what you can do on that.  I would probably just DL off blocks up until the contest.  Get used to using straps.

The frame isn't going to relate directly to any lift.  There's a DL in the pick.  Depending on the height of the pick, it may be difficult, maybe not.  Also the pick width.  I would email the promotor and ask for those numbers.  Walking with it quickly is going to be pretty much a farmer's carry.  There's a lot of technique there, moreso than lift numbers (assuming you have the strength to pick it).  Breathing is very important.  IME, with a farmer's carry, you need to look at your feet and breathe quick, exaggerated breaths.  It looks like it's only 20 feet.  So I'd expect that to be heavy.

Fingal finger is mostly technique, and not directly transferable from any lift.  Is the finger round or square?  It makes a difference how you train to pick.  Ask the promotor.  Some use a belt, some don't.  It may catch as you pick it.  Or it may restrict your breathing, since this is a go for 60 seconds event.

Keg load sounds like a cool event.  I've never done that in an event like that.  I've done a keg carry.  I like picking up kegs though, because there's actually something to grab onto, unlike atlas stones.  A load is something that again, is its own thing.  You might be able to beat a guy who deadlifts way, way more than you, if you get your technique right.  And being taller helps.  

Viking press is going to depend on testing out the weights on that particular machine being used.  Having a good OHP is going to really help on this one.  

So, there's really no answer to that.  Eat as much as possible from now until the event.  Train smart, and plan out your schedule and event days.  If you can do the lifts, go for it.  If you try them out and will likely zero out 2 or more of the events, I'd probably hold off.  Possibly zero out one?  Go for it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I do not own a belt (I know). I need a belt recommendation and anything else I would need to purchase so I can work out the kinks beforehand.

I guess I need to learn how lift with a belt also
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I do not own a belt (I know). I need a belt recommendation and anything else I would need to purchase so I can work out the kinks beforehand.

View Quote
inzer
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
inzer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

inzer
Yep.  Inzer.  I like the lever.  That would be the main thing.  Some good flat soled shoes you can move in.  I like nanos for strongman.  Lifting straps for deads.  Wrist wraps and knee sleeves are the only other thing I use.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep.  Inzer.  I like the lever.  That would be the main thing.  Some good flat soled shoes you can move in.  I like nanos for strongman.  Lifting straps for deads.  Wrist wraps and knee sleeves are the only other thing I use.
View Quote
The anderson 2-layer wrist straps are a great choice, IMO.

And if Inzer is too $$ for you, look into the lever belts from Pioneer Fit. I love my Pioneer belt and wear it more than my Inzer these days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. I'm planning on wearing a compression shirt under my others and just a tshirt wich I guess will be okay. I've started watching YouTube vids from Allan Thrall and Brian Alshrue on beginning strongman as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top