Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2017 9:20:24 PM EDT
I didn't know this until today, but I've been deadlifting at a deficit.

All the plates I have are the cheap fitness gear ones from Dicks, I ended up surfing a bit today and landed on a page that mentioned that the standard plate size is 17 3/4" in diameter.

I thought no way mine are that tall, so I measured them. They are about 15 1/2".

If I get a set of standard plates to put on the bar first will I have an easier time of it? Or should I just keep going like I have been?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the size is just a standard issue.  Its still the same weight.  Unless there is some scientific reason behind it.
An Olympic bar is called that because it conforms to the standards set by the Olympic committee for length and weight and collar sze
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#2]
If the deficit is bothering you, put them on a small riser.  If not, keep goIng till you need more plates, then get the 'right' size.  I really like having undersized plated for dead.  Put the full size on first and it's easy to slide the others on and off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the deficit is bothering you, put them on a small riser.  If not, keep goIng till you need more plates, then get the 'right' size.  I really like having undersized plated for dead.  Put the full size on first and it's easy to slide the others on and off.
View Quote
I actually thought of that after I made the first post.

It would make loading up the deadlift and any landmine stuff way easier.

I'm gonna get on craigslist and see what I can find.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Put two 2 1/2 lb plates on the mat and roll the  first 45s on to them. It will rise enough to make it easy to put more weights on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I've found plates of three different sizes on CL over the years.

It makes it very easy to load and unload the bar when doing DLs.

So I say go for it!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I like doing deficit pulls once in awhile. I would not like deadlifting as much if it were always from that height. That little bit of height makes a big difference in how tight you can get(which in my opinion makes pulling from the normal height safer). I got my last set of plates from Play It Again Sports. They sell new CAP brand standard plates, not as nice as my other plates but they are the correct size and at $0.99/lb the price was right.

When I looked for used plates locally I only found over priced garbage. If play it again didn't work out my next cheapest option for anything of quality was getting a set of bumpers from titan fitness since they have free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like doing deficit pulls once in awhile. I would not like deadlifting as much if it were always from that height. That little bit of height makes a big difference in how tight you can get(which in my opinion makes pulling from the normal height safer). I got my last set of plates from Play It Again Sports. They sell new CAP brand standard plates, not as nice as my other plates but they are the correct size and at $0.99/lb the price was right.

When I looked for used plates locally I only found over priced garbage. If play it again didn't work out my next cheapest option for anything of quality was getting a set of bumpers from titan fitness since they have free shipping.
View Quote
Those fitness gear ones work out to under a dollar/lb retail, that's why I bought them last time.

CL isn't turning up very much, the disadvantage of living in the middle of nowhere I guess.

There is a used sporting goods place about 50 minutes away, I'll have to give them a call. Maybe the scrap yard will have something too, there is on about 30 minutes away.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
You should try weighing your plates. I wonder how accurate they are
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You should try weighing your plates. I wonder how accurate they are
View Quote
I have time, I'll go do it right now.

The bathroom scale only goes up in whole numbers, I put a block of wood on it then put the plates on and subtracted the difference.

44,44,44,45 and the two 35's were 34,34.

Seems fair for the cheapest possible weights you can find retail.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I took a tape measure to the local used equipment dealer and found some 100lb plates that were around .25" bigger than standard. I relegated my TPB to permanent deadlift duty now and those 100lb plates never come off of it.  It's really not that hard to roll it up on some 2.5lb plates but I'm lazy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The bathroom scale only goes up in whole numbers, I put a block of wood on it then put the plates on and subtracted the difference.

View Quote
I actually bought a hanging scale from Amazon just to weight plates with. Still haven't got around to doing it. My wife was begging not to, says she doesn't want to know if we're weaker than we think.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
How much does your bar weigh?

Should you buy more plates?  The answer to this is always yes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How much does your bar weigh?

Should you buy more plates?  The answer to this is always yes.
View Quote
I stood on the scale and then picked it up. It's between 43 and 44 lbs depending on how I shifted my feet.

It's also a cheap Fitness Gear bar, I bought the whole 300 lb set two years ago for less than $200 with a coupon. It pairs well with my Titan rack. A few steps above ghetto, but just low class enough to work well in my damp basement with block walls and bare bulb lighting.

It's not great, lots of slop in it and the collar things that keep the plates from sliding into the center of the bar are getting stripped, I need to weld them on or something.

I figured when it finally broke for good I could just make it a 100% landmine bar and get a nicer one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Went and weighed 4 of my plates and my bar because of this thread.

Differing weights across the board
Set 1

Set 2

Bar

Kind of surprised to see such a variation.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm actually impressed. I thought it would be a lot more
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would guess they cast most of them around a pound light and just call it margin of error. That shit adds up for shipping when you are sending entire containers of them from overseas.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I stood on the scale and then picked it up. It's between 43 and 44 lbs depending on how I shifted my feet.

It's also a cheap Fitness Gear bar, I bought the whole 300 lb set two years ago for less than $200 with a coupon. It pairs well with my Titan rack. A few steps above ghetto, but just low class enough to work well in my damp basement with block walls and bare bulb lighting.

It's not great, lots of slop in it and the collar things that keep the plates from sliding into the center of the bar are getting stripped, I need to weld them on or something.

I figured when it finally broke for good I could just make it a 100% landmine bar and get a nicer one.
View Quote
When I bought my first "real" bar it felt a lot heavier than my Chinese 300lbs TSA set bar.  Grabbed the Chinese bar to weigh, like 33lbs!?!  Fuck, all my PR's off by 12lbs..........
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I bought my first "real" bar it felt a lot heavier than my Chinese 300lbs TSA set bar.  Grabbed the Chinese bar to weigh, like 33lbs!?!  Fuck, all my PR's off by 12lbs..........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My friend did that to me at his house.

I was working out with him while we visited for the weekend, I loaded up one plate to start warming up for squats, and felt really great about.

I didn't want to kill myself going heavy, just wanted to have a good workout, so I did my working sets at 3x10 with a weight I knew I could handle, felt like I crushed it afterwards.

A little later we got talking about where he got his weights from, he bought most of them used.

Then goes "Yeah, I got that bar really cheap too, but it only weighs 35 lbs"......thanks for telling me when we were loading it during the workout pal. Went from feeling pretty good to feeling pretty average in about 3 seconds flat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I recently started deadlifting and I'm seriously considering buying a second bar for other barbell exercises and only 35 lb heavy plates so I can just leave the set of 45's on the barbell and add 35's as I get stronger.  Putting 45's on an empty bar sitting on the ground is more work than the damn deadlifts.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I recently started deadlifting and I'm seriously considering buying a second bar for other barbell exercises and only 35 lb heavy plates so I can just leave the set of 45's on the barbell and add 35's as I get stronger.  Putting 45's on an empty bar sitting on the ground is more work than the damn deadlifts.  
View Quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked up a pair of 25 lb bumpers today for a steal.

So the next question is, how much can I load just the pair of 25's without mangling them?

Meaning, if I put them on the bar and then loaded it to like 300 lbs and deadlifted would they die?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So the next question is, how much can I load just the pair of 25's without mangling them?

Meaning, if I put them on the bar and then loaded it to like 300 lbs and deadlifted would they die?
View Quote
Yeah, they get cracked easily and eventually the center falls out.  They will last longer with deads than with cleans. Unless you're deadlifting 300 and cleaning 95, but either way you'll break them eventually
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, they get cracked easily and eventually the center falls out.  They will last longer with deads than with cleans. Unless you're deadlifting 300 and cleaning 95, but either way you'll break them eventually
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I did, and that's exactly what is happening.  

They have cracks radiating our from the center, however that are still holding up and supporting the weight.

Plates are "Again Faster" brand.  I've been doing this for a good while, so I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I did, and that's exactly what is happening.  

They have cracks radiating our from the center, however that are still holding up and supporting the weight.

Plates are "Again Faster" brand.  I've been doing this for a good while, so I'm not complaining.
View Quote
My Rogue training plates show no signs of failing.  Would recommend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top