Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 9:15:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Please please PLEASE check out the keto thread.

It got me started on Keto and I've lost 30 pounds since last year.

I rarely have time to work out or exercise, I still get to eat food I love, and I have less headaches/migraines and way more energy than ever before.

It's not magic, but it works.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I dropped 44 lbs in 3 1/2 months at the end of 2013 because I just decided I wanted to get back in shape. Everybody wanted to know my "secret" and assumed I was starving. No secret, no starving.

- 1 hour workout 3 evenings a week. If you can add 10 lbs of muscle, you'll burn an extra 500 calories a day for free. Very helpful assist right there. I did about 2/3 cardio, 1/3 weightlifting. Did weights all over, not just one muscle group. Wasn't trying to bulk up, just add a little bit of overall mass, and that was easy even while burning fat.
- I kept below 25-30g of carbs per day. Total, not net.
- I ate high fat, lots of tasty cheese stick snacks and stuff and plenty of meat and proteins.
- Tried to keep below ~1600 calories per day as well as keeping the carbs low.
- If I got hungry, I got a lot of premade salads that were tasty that I could quickly throw together and eat so that I wasn't going around starving and miserable.
- I cut out all soft drinks and alcohol TOTALLY. No cheat days. Only soft drink I'd allow myself was an occasional Coke Zero or something. No beer, no wine, no spirits. Not even a sip.
- Amazingly enough, after the first 10 days I did not feel weak or lethargic, I felt tons better and totally energized all the time

ETA: Forgot, I also made sure I got 8+ hours of sleep per night. That background fat burning boost from proper HGH levels was also very helpful.

Dropped around 1/2 pound per day average. The only time I "cheated" was for around 3 days for Thanksgiving that year. But I didn't gorge, I still kept portions reasonable. Just larger than normal. Weight loss slowed for those 3 days, then picked right back up.

Fact of the matter is, if you can't stick with it, you don't actually want to lose weight enough and so you won't. So figure out if you want to lose weight for real or not. I tried to lose weight for all of 2013 and I lost like 3 pounds January to September. I stopped fucking around and became completely serious in September and by Christmas all 44 lbs of my excess weight was off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
My co-worker had good luck with one of those extreme low calorie diets that use the HCG drops you put under the tounge.   She use to be probably the average weight for a woman her age but now looks like a sack of bones.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you need some good old food poisoning!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've tried Keto but can't seem to stick with it.  It's hard when the family is not interested in eating that way.
View Quote
Meal prep-  will you be able to do and stick to a plan if you do meal prep once or twice a week?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

it's not just the meal prep it's time to eat.  Most days, I get 75-100% of my daily calories at one meal (dinner).
View Quote
Then you have to rearrange your thought process. It is more important to eat small meals throughout the day than one giant caloric meal at night. Eating balanced food throughout allows your blood sugars to stay stable all day.
Do you just not normally eat? Do you have a method of heating food, microwave etc at work?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably a little crazy, but when I'm not deployed, I have a similar work schedule that doesn't always allow me to get meals beyond dinner. I bought a few cases of Soylent (hippie green meal replacement trash), and would use them as an alternative to sitting down to eat a regular meal. These things are NOT a complete meal replacement. You need to be eating fruits/veggies/meat/carbs, etc. But I felt that a bottle or two per day when I was working was a big help. Each bottle is about 400 calories, and they've got a few different flavors. Not bad, not delicious, but easy to drink and "scientifically designed" to have nutrients that you need.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Similar goal & circumstances. Here's what I've done & it's worked so far. I'm 100% certain dozens will be along shortly to criticize me and tell me what a fucking dumbass I am and what I'm doing is all wrong. I accept that. 

52 yo, 5'9" 200# on March 1

Goal: get my BMI into the normal range 165-170# by my July physical. Get my HBP into acceptable range to avoid an increase in my med dose. Hereditary HBP. Diastolic creeping towards  90+ 

Bought a FitBit Charge 2 to help me keep track of my HR, resting HR was in the mid to upper 80's, turns out it and the app and the dashboard are a very useful tool to me. Was worth the money. 

Candy & sweets are my addiction, every bit as much as an illicit drug. Two bags of candy a week wasn't uncommon. Quit cold turkey. Gave up other carbs, crackers, honey on peanut butter on crackers, potatoes, rice, pasta etc. Anything with added sugar when possible. I get my carbs from vegetables and other non carb foods. Only sweets I have are raisins or craisins. 1/4 c. will be my desert on some days when I really need a sweet fix.

My weekly 6:30 AM routine, I do a so called circuit training routine on my Bowflex which I've had for years. Upper body all the way to the calves.  11 different exercises total. It takes about an hour. I do this M-W-F On T-T-S I run 5k or a little more; 3.1-3.5 mi. On a treadmill primarily but I also run on pavement when I can. Takes about 35 min or so. It took about a month of a walking routine to get to that point. I ran two consecutive GPS measured 5k's and my pace is 8'30". Probably better than that now since that was measured around April 15. 

My diet is as follows. No breakfast. Just coffee. Gave up powdered creamer and use half & half instead. Stevia for sweetener. If I actually feel hungry, stomach growling I will have a Quest protein bar. Or an egg with 2oz of sausage or a slice of bacon. 98% of the time, no breakfast. 

For lunch I have a shake; two scoops of ON whey protein in 16oz of Silk cashew milk. Sometimes I put a banana in with it, other times I save the banana for a 3PM snack. I also toss in 1/2 tsp of guar gum to thicken it a bit. If I add the banana to the shake, I find I'm not craving anything mid-day. So it's an either or. If I don't have time for a shake, I have a Quest bar. 

For dinner, typically a huge salad with good fats, olives, walnuts, avocado lots of other stuff jalapeño peppers etc. and 6oz +/- 2oz of meat by itself. This week it's venison & lamb patties. Chicken thighs, steak, all good. 

For snacks; walnuts, full fat cheese, all natural peanut butter & cashew butter, venison summer sausage, smoked venison sausage. Pretty much fat & protein for snacks. 

I weigh and track everything including condiments in the app. I set my weight loss goal at 2# a week and so far it's been spot on. With my 170# predicted to be June 5th. As on today I'm at 176#. On average I'm consuming around 1500 cal. day. I like to burn 3000 cal/day as tracked by the app which isn't 100% accurate, I give it 80% at best. 

In addition to the weight loss, I'm gaining some muscle tone. The fact that I can run 5k consistently and not be crawling on the floor half dead afterwards is something I never expected at my age. My cardio score VO2 Max is 48 according to the app. I was taking Prilosec every day, haven't taken one since changing my diet nor any antacid for that matter. BP is trending down significantly and my resting HR is down 10 BPM. Forgot my weekly BP check yesterday. 

ETA: My typical macro average is 20% Carb, 30% Protein, 50% fat, 1500-1600 daily calorie average.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My co-worker had good luck with one of those extreme low calorie diets that use the HCG drops you put under the tounge.   She use to be probably the average weight for a woman her age but now looks like a sack of bones.
View Quote
Don't do that. It's bad for your health. My mom and sister both did it, it messed up my sister's health for a couple years afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
it's not just the meal prep it's time to eat.  Most days, I get 75-100% of my daily calories at one meal (dinner).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meal prep-  will you be able to do and stick to a plan if you do meal prep once or twice a week?
That is actually pro-ketogenic.  Intermittent fasting can be helpful for fat loss...until it's stressful and then it can raise cortisol, which hinders fat loss.

If you can't go full-on keto, focus on 75% or so of your plate being non-starchy vegetables and the rest being meat, (shell)fish, or eggs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top