Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2017 5:47:17 PM EDT
Okay, so I thought this was common knowledge, but my buddy recently argued against this, so now I'm back to square 1.

Measuring lifts in terms of bodyweight benefits shorter people rather than taller people.
He's kind of a manlet at 5'4" tall 130 lbs, and he's always bragging about his lifts in respect to bodyweight.  He recently came up with an exercise challenge and I said "that's a program for manlets".

Prime example, take someone who is 5'7" tall and 160 lbs, in good shape. He will potentially be lifting more than a 6'2" man that also weighs 160 lbs. Tall-skinny guys are hilariously weak when it comes to big lifts.
And on that note, a 6'2" tall man requires more effort to press 100 lbs than the 5'7" man does- the bar travels further.

At the same point, taller people can load more muscle on their frames, so their absolute strength can be much higher. This is why you see the top tier of powerlifting weight classes lifting the most weight (well, the good ones anyway).

His workout was:

Bench Press BW
Press BW/2
Curl BW/2
Dip BW/4
Dead-hang chin-ups
repeat ad nauseum for 20 min, add up your "Score"

Well my bench press isn't good right now, and I'm pretty sure he can do far more reps at 130 BP than I can do at 230 lbs BP. And I know that shorter people have an advantage in chin-ups as well (again, shorter travel)

I thought about, just for grins, doing his "challenge" but using 130 for my weight...
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Okay, so I thought this was common knowledge, but my buddy recently argued against this, so now I'm back to square 1.

Measuring lifts in terms of bodyweight benefits shorter people rather than taller people.
He's kind of a manlet at 5'4" tall 130 lbs, and he's always bragging about his lifts in respect to bodyweight.  He recently came up with an exercise challenge and I said "that's a program for manlets".

Prime example, take someone who is 5'7" tall and 160 lbs, in good shape. He will potentially be lifting more than a 6'2" man that also weighs 160 lbs. Tall-skinny guys are hilariously weak when it comes to big lifts.
And on that note, a 6'2" tall man requires more effort to press 100 lbs than the 5'7" man does- the bar travels further.

At the same point, taller people can load more muscle on their frames, so their absolute strength can be much higher. This is why you see the top tier of powerlifting weight classes lifting the most weight (well, the good ones anyway).

His workout was:

Bench Press BW
Press BW/2
Curl BW/2
Dip BW/4
Dead-hang chin-ups

Well my bench press isn't good right now, and I'm pretty sure he can do far more reps at 130 BP than I can do at 230 lbs BP. And I know that shorter people have an advantage in chin-ups as well (again, shorter travel)

I thought about, just for grins, doing his "challenge" but using 130 for my weight...
View Quote

Stop being weak.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
oðstandan wiht wancol  
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stop being weak.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His workout was:

Bench Press BW
Press BW/2
Curl BW/2
Dip BW/4
Dead-hang chin-ups

Stop being weak.
And fat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Just start making fun of his puny total. Then when he mouths off show him instagram videos of chicks lifting more than him to prove your point that he's just flat out weak and lacks the discipline to get strong. Being actually strong requires muscle mass, which he doesn't have. Bragging about being strong for your body weight is like bragging about being the smartest fella on the short bus.

Now there's nothing wrong with not wanting to get bigger and have a massive total. And it is fine to compare yourself to other people in your weight class to see where you are for your size. But playing a game rigged to where he has the advantage is dumb. I don't need to have a contest with someone 100 lbs lighter than me to know he can do more pull-ups, I still bench more than him.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I can see both perspectives...on some level total lift amount is all that really "matters". However, I'll also say that the 150# guys snatching 400# is a hell of a lot more impressive to be than a 400# guy snatching #450 even though he's lifting more.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Stop being weak.
View Quote
IIRC our lift totals (mine and yours) are about the same right now. My bench sucks because I've been having shoulder problems (which I've had since I was 18) and I have some sort of issue with my right elbow as well. But my OHP is fine.

Also cutting carbs for 15 weeks in a row isn't the best way to pump up your lifts haha. But my primary concern right now is cutting and not absolute strength. I was stronger at 250-255 lbs but I'm now 20 lbs lighter so that's a benefit.

This is also a dude (the 130 lb guy) who has posted a video of his max squat (from last year) at least 4 different times because he's so proud of it (with compression shorts, knee wraps, wrist straps, special shoes, and a belt)
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]
In weightlifting they use the Sinclair formula to compare performances from different weight classes.

Just like RoG was saying what's more impressive, Naim's 342.5 at 60kg a Sinclair of 504kg?  Or Lasha Talakhadze's 473kg total at 157kg, a Sinclair of 474kg?

Lasha's total is only 2 kilos off the old record, which is the most weight ever put overhead by a human in history.  But as far as Sinclair, he ranks somewhere around 35th.

This still doesn't address height and body weight.  Naim is 4'10", Lasha 6'5".
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

IIRC our lift totals (mine and yours) are about the same right now. My bench sucks because I've been having shoulder problems (which I've had since I was 18) and I have some sort of issue with my right elbow as well. But my OHP is fine.

Also cutting carbs for 15 weeks in a row isn't the best way to pump up your lifts haha. But my primary concern right now is cutting and not absolute strength. I was stronger at 250-255 lbs but I'm now 20 lbs lighter so that's a benefit.

This is also a dude (the 130 lb guy) who has posted a video of his max squat (from last year) at least 4 different times because he's so proud of it (with compression shorts, knee wraps, wrist straps, special shoes, and a belt)
View Quote
Just giving  you shit because your thread was not really a question but just a bunch of rambling.

Just tell that little bitch your could pick him up over your head and slam him to his death.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm somewhere between 1130-1150 total right now at 214  bodyweight.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm somewhere between 1130-1150 total right now at 214  bodyweight.
View Quote
I'm likely around 1100 somewhere, should be nearer to 1300 if the summer goes well and I add 100lbs to the bench, which is really likely.  Eventually I'm going to have to deadlift though.  Damn it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm likely around 1100 somewhere, should be nearer to 1300 if the summer goes well and I add 100lbs to the bench, which is really likely.  Eventually I'm going to have to deadlift though.  Damn it.
View Quote
I would be at 1200 already if I wasn't in forever cut.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
You'd probably be well above 1,200 if you didn't murder all that sweet innocent muscle you build every year.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You'd probably be well above 1,200 if you didn't murder all that sweet innocent muscle you build every year.
View Quote
I'm actually getting stronger. The power of T compells me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even being able to bench 200lbs has really helped my totals, lol.  As long as I can keep my deadlift reasonable to my squat I'll be ok.  I just hate deadlifts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Earlier this year I pulled 505 and squatted 395. I haven't been able to bench 300 in a year though. So right now my total is probably 1155 or something.
I need to get back on the bench and get fixed, so I can post sweet vids of me hitting new PRs to his facebook feed and he'll bitch about my form or something.

Seriously, when I pulled 505 (no belt or straps) he was like "DURRR that wouldn't fly at competition" but he was talking out his ass. I showed it to another person and they saw no issues.
I also pulled 505 with a Bella Bar, would not recommend haha.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Earlier this year I pulled 505 and squatted 395. I haven't been able to bench 300 in a year though. So right now my total is probably 1155 or something.
I need to get back on the bench and get fixed, so I can post sweet vids of me hitting new PRs to his facebook feed and he'll bitch about my form or something.

Seriously, when I pulled 505 (no belt or straps) he was like "DURRR that wouldn't fly at competition" but he was talking out his ass. I showed it to another person and they saw no issues.
View Quote
I was right at 395 for squats until I switched to high bar now I'm only at 355.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just an FYI talking about belts and lifting shoes as if it's somehow cheating (you didn't say that, but it seems that's what you're getting at) really doesn't make any sense at all, and is pretty silly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
high bar is for homos

stop being gay
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
high bar is for homos

stop being gay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

high bar is for homos

stop being gay
ppffffft Jesus high bar squatted. HB squatting is next to Godliness.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just an FYI talking about belts and lifting shoes as if it's somehow cheating (you didn't say that, but it seems that's what you're getting at) really doesn't make any sense at all, and is pretty silly.
View Quote
Shoes not, but it's generally considered that you can lift more with a belt and with proper knee wraps than without. I wouldn't personally know, since I don't use a belt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Shoes not, but it's generally considered that you can lift more with a belt and with proper knee wraps than without. I wouldn't personally know, since I don't use a belt.
View Quote
You should. Belts allow you to brace harder so you can get stronger.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still not cheating, and as Kaik said- allows you to get stronger. It's a tool in the tool box and should be used accordingly, along with many other things.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

ppffffft Jesus high bar squatted. HB squatting is next to Godliness.
View Quote
And Jesus gets ass to grass on every squat.  When he hits bottom, he rises.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I did my first round of "king of the manlets" workout.
I completely skipped the 230 lb bench press and the 58# weighted dips. I think that was a wise decision. What's left was kind of shoulder and bicep heavy, but oh well.

20:00 minutes

27 Curls (113#, the bar I used was 33# with collars)
30 dead-hang chin-ups
43 Overhead Presses at 115#
-------------

Ended up doing 6 rounds  pull ups - press - curl - rest
I could have probably kept going but my sets were getting smaller, I did use the full 20 minutes. I feel like I can easily improve on this challenge if I work at it.
The bar I used (for curls) was pretty stout, had a mild kink to it and my hands were shoulder-width apart. The worst transition was going to the curls, because I didn't have a rack to set it down on.

After the 20 minutes was up, I did some dumbell bench presses and 1 set of unweighted squats, my shoulders were FRIED
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top