Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 11:08:05 AM EDT
Okay, so I'm wondering what the correct form is, or if it matters.

Grip: I usually have my hands just slightly wider than my shoulders. But I've seen some powerlifters take a wider grip. I assume this is so you have a shorter stroke?

Starting position: I try to have my shoulders back, chest out, forearms pretty much perpendicular to the ground. The bar is resting on my upper pecs below the chin.

Elbows: I've tried it a couple different ways, but it seems like as I press up, my elbows move outward and then come back in. I've also tried to keep my elbows in, pointing forward. It's possible for me to complete reps like that, but it feels weird- probably because I'm not used to it.

One person told me it doesn't really matter how you get it from point A to point B, but I'm wondering if you can put strain on the elbows and shoulders if you do it wrong.

This video:
http://playithub.com/watch/k4WoLZbonns/how-to-overhead-press-proper-technique-for-size-strength-performance.html
Makes me think my grip is about 2" too narrow on each side, which is probably causing my elbows to flare out a bit more than usual.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My shoulders get really cranky if I don't keep a narrow grip with my elbows out front. I do it the way Ripp coaches the old presses (not the press 2.0 or whatnot). I have no idea what kind of mechanics are behind that, impingement maybe? Both my rotator cuffs have been torn up pretty badly and my left shoulder impinges if the stars aren't lined up right, so that may just be something specific to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have to overhead press with a narrower grip.

If I go too wide my something in my right shoulder snaps audibly on every rep.

It doesn't hurt, but I just picture a tight rope snapping over some rocks repeatedly, eventually it's going to fray and break, and I don't want that to happen in my shoulder.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer a narrow grip with my elbows under the bar.  I used to do wide grip, but I was prone to a lot more shoulder injuries that way.  As a result, I performed a reset and worked my way back up with the narrower grip to get my elbows under the bar.

Now, YMMV because no two lifter's bodies are alike.  If a wider grip works for you, then go for it.  Think about how no two people do squats the same.  I can do parallel but I can't do ass to grass (never could).  I've reset many times to try to hit ass to grass, but I just can't do it because I don't have the flexibility or hip mobility to do so.  As a result, I just stick to parallel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]

May need to work on your overhead mobility

Overhead mwod | Feat. Kelly Starrett | MobilityWOD

Prioritizing shoulder mob. What to fix first, & Wii mob | Feat. Kelly Starrett | MobilityWOD
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I never can seem to get my overhead pressing right.  Strict press, I've noticed that if you clench your ass cheeks together before you begin the press, it helps me.  It's all about creating a solid foundation to press off of.  This is the reason you can press more seated than standing.  You have to engage your back.  Big pressers have big backs.  I've tried many different grips and elbow positions.  My elbows tend to be down if I'm strict pressing and more in front of me if I'm push pressing.

Lately, in lieu of regular strict pressing, I've started doing Z presses and another one I can't recall what it's called.  But basically, you bring it down to your forehead.  Then go backwards to the back of your head, then back to your forehead, and then press again.  Those are pretty bad ass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never can seem to get my overhead pressing right.  Strict press, I've noticed that if you clench your ass cheeks together before you begin the press, it helps me.  It's all about creating a solid foundation to press off of.  This is the reason you can press more seated than standing.  You have to engage your back.  Big pressers have big backs.  I've tried many different grips and elbow positions.  My elbows tend to be down if I'm strict pressing and more in front of me if I'm push pressing.

Lately, in lieu of regular strict pressing, I've started doing Z presses and another one I can't recall what it's called.  But basically, you bring it down to your forehead.  Then go backwards to the back of your head, then back to your forehead, and then press again.  Those are pretty bad ass.
View Quote
You should be engaging your glutes on every press when doing OHP.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I watched a video with Rippetoe and he advocated sort of a hip-thrust to start each press, which kinda seems like a way to cheat the bar up a bit at the start. I might give it a try, but I feel like if you are doing extra stuff with other parts of your body that kinda defeats the purpose of the exercise.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I take a grip that is slightly narrower than my bench grip.  The forearms are vertical at the bottom position, and elbows slightly forward of the bar.  I keep elbows forward as I press, and try not to flare them to the side.  Legs, glutes, and core are tight, to set a strong foundation, as LawyerUp stated,  You want to transfer that power up through the bar, not bleed off energy.  Thoracic extension until the bar clears my face, then I shoot the head as soon as possible to get skeletal structure underneath the bar.  What has helped my pressing in the last 8-10 months is volume and inclined benching.  

Quoted:
I watched a video with Rippetoe and he advocated sort of a hip-thrust to start each press, which kinda seems like a way to cheat the bar up a bit at the start. I might give it a try, but I feel like if you are doing extra stuff with other parts of your body that kinda defeats the purpose of the exercise.
View Quote
That is referred to as Press 2.0.  I hate it.  I think it's cheating.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I take a grip that is slightly narrower than my bench grip.  The forearms are vertical at the bottom position, and elbows slightly forward of the bar.  I keep elbows forward as I press, and try not to flare them to the side.  Legs, glutes, and core are tight, to set a strong foundation, as LawyerUp stated,  You want to transfer that power up through the bar, not bleed off energy.  Thoracic extension until the bar clears my face, then I shoot the head you  as soon as possible to get skeletal structure underneath the bar.  What has helped my pressing in the last 8-10 months is volume and inclined benching.  

That is referred to as Press 2.0.  I hate it.  I think it's cheating.
View Quote
I think it's cheating too but I think argues that it lets you handle more weight. I would sort of agree, but I've watched too many people progress without really progressing. They just get better at the cheating.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think it's cheating too but I think argues that it lets you handle more weight. I would sort of agree, but I've watched too many people progress without really progressing. They just get better at the cheating.
View Quote
I think it depends on where you get stuck.  If you're having trouble locking out then pressing heavier weights to the top would help.  Much like rows, I'll 'kip' some rows, do some strict and there's advantages to both.  Giving a little kip at the bottom of a really heavy land-mine row lets me pull a lot of weight to the top that I can't without the kip.  But then I also so really strict hanging rows to emphasize the bottom.

Is this where we say that a low-bar squat is cheating?  
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is this where we say that a low-bar squat is cheating?  
View Quote
Low bar squats are definitely cheating and you will go straight to hell for doing them
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Low bar squats are definitely cheating and you will go straight to hell for doing them
View Quote

I don't do the hip thrust, although I have caught myself using my traps to get the bar off my collarbone. I'm also firmly in the school of "do 'em to failure, then push press the rest of your set and an extra". But my OHP is garbage so dont' listen to me. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about more than just engaging.  I'm talking bout clenching bro.  Like taking a shower in prison.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm talking about more than just engaging.  I'm talking bout clenching bro.  Like taking a shower in prison.
View Quote
Crushing a walnut. I mean, no muscle should be relaxed when pressing, everything should be engaged. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can't really relate to that, but I've been in the gym next to some pretty good looking women and had some bad pre-workout/protein shake gas.  That's a tight clench...
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#16]
My press has improved lately but it still isn't great because of old shoulder damage (145 5x5 @ 200lb BW, started at like 85 5x5 back in August)

I found Alan Thrall's videos to be more helpful than Rip's on the subject, and I'm a Rippetoe disciple.

I could never figure out the whole Press 2.0 hip thrust thing.

I have found using a belt makes it feel a whole lot more stable because of how much better you can brace.

I grip at just about shoulder width -- I basically touch the pad of my thumbs to the transition from smooth to knurling on a standard bar, which gets me about 1" of knurling inside of my hands. Forearms vertical in all directions. Shoulders pinched back but maybe not quite to the degree they are pinched on bench.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.gifimagesdownload.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/cool-preach-gif-566.gif

I don't do the hip thrust, although I have caught myself using my traps to get the bar off my collarbone. I'm also firmly in the school of "do 'em to failure, then push press the rest of your set and an extra". But my OHP is garbage so dont' listen to me. 
View Quote
Yeah I do the same thing. I catch myself pulling down a bit sometimes just use the rebound to get it going. Whatever gets the work done. When I'm testing 1RM or something I try to be pretty strict. It's just the bouncing around stuff can fool you into thinking you are making progress when you aren't.

My press suck too though so... I got a few singles at 200 a while back but I put 365 up on the bench with ease the other day. And I press 2x for every 1x I bench. It's just not my lift. Long humerus's maybe
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good thing I don't have the shoulder mobility to do low bar, so I am stuck at high bar.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good thing I don't have the shoulder mobility to do low bar, so I am stuck at high bar.  
View Quote
I'm going straight to hell because I can't really do high bar. My knees are both shot and will scream at me for weeks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#20]
When I go really heavy, I always get stuck at the bottom, and sometimes at the very top.
I figured out a way to "cheat" presses to work on the top end though. If you do kind of a weak 1/2 thruster, just drop down about 6" and then stand up, it launches the bar off your chest just enough. I was able to do 8 reps of 155 using fake thrusters, although it is exhausting.

I also found that using a belt for near-max presses to seem to help, but it may be a bit mental.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I gave up on standard OHP years ago. Damn face gets in the way, shoulders get pissy and stresses the low back.  Klokov Presses for the win. Better activation of shoulder girdle and weight over your spine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top