Quoted:

Half rep. Where's @Hizzie at.
View Quote
Coach says drive, I drive. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That doesn't even sound possible unless your lifts suck.

I'm eating like 2000-2500 a day and I can feel my strength going.
View Quote
I'm still riding out the beginner's gains, but following SL 5X5 and now 1 completed cycle of 5/3/1, everything has continued to go up. I'm sure the plateau is coming, however, and as soon as it does I'm upping the count. For now I'm enjoying the gray area where I'm losing fat and still gaining strength.

We'll see how this next cycle of 5/3/1 goes, just finished Cycle 1 deload week.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Half rep. Where's @Hizzie at.
View Quote
Nah, it's good.  But by that depth I think I'll have my 500lb squat in a few minutes here....  brb.  

Just kidding, Rex, looked good.  Came up fast and easy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm still riding out the beginner's gains, but following SL 5X5 and now 1 completed cycle of 5/3/1, everything has continued to go up. I'm sure the plateau is coming, however, and as soon as it does I'm upping the count. For now I'm enjoying the gray area where I'm losing fat and still gaining strength.

We'll see how this next cycle of 5/3/1 goes, just finished Cycle 1 deload week.
View Quote
I am having a hard time believing you are only eating 1500 cal day in and day out.  Not talking 1500 cals some days, then the next day way more, then less etc.  But 1500 cals everyday.  Doesn't add up in my mind.

You'd be losing a crap ton a muscle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That doesn't even sound possible unless your lifts suck.

I'm eating like 2000-2500 a day and I can feel my strength going.
View Quote
I eat like 2500+ a day and that maintains me at 155lbs
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I eat like 2500+ a day and that maintains me at 155lbs
View Quote
Fucking eat more!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fucking eat more!!!!!
View Quote
butbutbut I'm finally getting abs
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Abs on someone who weighs 155 don't count.  

What's better,  Me lifting you over my head 10 times or your abs?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:28:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Traps are the new abs.

And harder to get.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:27:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am having a hard time believing you are only eating 1500 cal day in and day out.  Not talking 1500 cals some days, then the next day way more, then less etc.  But 1500 cals everyday.  Doesn't add up in my mind.

You'd be losing a crap ton a muscle.
View Quote
Your body doesnt just start eating your muscle if you are using it and have 100k+ calories of fat on your ass.

I can dig up sone studies but i'm fucking lazy. Humans as a species would have died out long ago if our bodies were as retarded as bro science.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:34:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Your body doesnt just start eating your muscle if you are using it and have 100k+ calories of fat on your ass.

I can dig up sone studies but i'm fucking lazy. Humans as a species would have died out long ago if our bodies were as retarded as bro science.
View Quote
Agreed. I started out probably around 30% body fat. I'm not saying that by any means I would ever want to stay at 1500cal for a long time. My #1 priority is strength and performance. However, now and then I'm willing to slow or minimally stall progress in that to look better naked and feel more comfortable. During that I keep on grinding and lifting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm still not sure what my max is, I guessed 440 and set up a Smolov cycle but today called for 13x3@370.  I made it through 8x3 at 365, legs just plain quit on me.

My lifts are all over the place, one day I'm smoking through 395 for reps, two days later I struggle with a few at 365.  

But it's still improving, I imagine it's just taking a while for me to get used to the volume.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Working out is dumb. You should just grow moobs and eat cake.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Done and done!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
make sure to wear clothing that shows off the moobs....you want them on full display.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

make sure to wear clothing that shows off the moobs....you want them on full display.
View Quote
Absolutely. Gotta wear the muscle shirt that shows of those cone boobies.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I donated blood yesterday and I've never felt any after effects in the past, other than the slight euphoria you get for a few days.  But whoa....  Not only am I taking forever to recover from squats this morning I'm also a little fuzzy headed and a bit punchy.  

I'll blame the missing last 6 squats on that
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I donated blood yesterday and I've never felt any after effects in the past, other than the slight euphoria you get for a few days.  But whoa....  Not only am I taking forever to recover from squats this morning I'm also a little fuzzy headed and a bit punchy.  

View Quote
Did you give too much?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did you give too much?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you give too much?
I have it on good authority that SCW has been known to self donate and I have seen pics of the messy aftermath...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have it on good authority that SCW has been known to self donate and I have seen pics of the messy aftermath...
View Quote
This is why I let the professionals handle it. Even though they did fill my arm up with saline that one time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

How's those traps coming?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Good squats today.  4x9 at 305 felt easy peasy.  Several set of front squats at 235 were also good, but I couldn't get under the bar and had to use straps.  

It's taking a while to get used to this kind of volume, but I'm getting there.  Feels good man.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm at 214#s only 15 more to go.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm at 214#s only 15 more to go.
View Quote
I've stabilized at 225 for a while, trying to eat more each day.  I'm really out of practice from eating and it's hard to get back to 3000+/day

Squatted 5x7 at 330 today and they went really well.  I still can't handle the volume of the 4x/week schedule of the Smolov Cycle, but I'm getting what I can and my squat is improving well enough.  Not as fast as the bench and strict press, but as Moderndayisrealite mentioned a few days ago, I'm probably really under-adapted in those lifts but not so much in the squat.  I pressed a few triples at 155 and a double at 165 yesterday, my right arm is still far slower than the left but that's really close to my old 1RM, so it won't take long at all to set new PRs on the strict press.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've stabilized at 225 for a while, trying to eat more each day.  I'm really out of practice from eating and it's hard to get back to 3000+/day

Squatted 5x7 at 330 today and they went really well.  I still can't handle the volume of the 4x/week schedule of the Smolov Cycle, but I'm getting what I can and my squat is improving well enough.  Not as fast as the bench and strict press, but as Moderndayisrealite mentioned a few days ago, I'm probably really under-adapted in those lifts but not so much in the squat.  I pressed a few triples at 155 and a double at 165 yesterday, my right arm is still far slower than the left but that's really close to my old 1RM, so it won't take long at all to set new PRs on the strict press.
View Quote
I love eating. It's hard for me to eat less than 3000+  
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Squats have been progressing. I pushed a 3x2@385 front squats last week which felt...well not easy but it wasn't impossible. Probably could have gone for a triple, probably should have.

Anyway, one way or another this is happening. I'm waiting on my belt, but hoping to make attempt #1 on July 4, because #america
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Just a question, Rex.  On that front squat, was the knee cave-in intentional?  I have seen a vid of Chicom lifters who deliberately cave in the knees and then force back out like you did.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just a question, Rex.  On that front squat, was the knee cave-in intentional?  I have seen a vid of Chicom lifters who deliberately cave in the knees and then force back out like you did.
View Quote
It's pretty tough not to when you're approaching your max.

Good luck Rex!  I know I'm getting stronger, but I can't lift over 315 without pain so I'm just doing as much as I can while I get the knee under control.  Haven't squatted heavy in a while now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Good luck Rex!  I know I'm getting stronger, but I can't lift over 315 without pain so I'm just doing as much as I can while I get the knee under control.  Haven't squatted heavy in a while now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said, definitely not intentional, and and something I've been working on.. If I'm going to be driving a quarter ton up my back I don't need any torque on a unidirectional joint, ya feel me? But body mechanics are what they are.

With your injury, I shall release you from our wager. There is no glory in a victory like that. I mean, I'm still gonna do it, and you're still gonna go "fuck Rex, goddammit why you so strong and sexy and charming?" but you won't have to buy me any shorts. 
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What he said, definitely not intentional, and and something I've been working on.. If I'm going to be driving a quarter ton up my back I don't need any torque on a unidirectional joint, ya feel me? But body mechanics are what they are.

With your injury, I shall release you from our wager. There is no glory in a victory like that. I mean, I'm still gonna do it, and you're still gonna go "fuck Rex, goddammit why you so strong and sexy and charming?" but you won't have to buy me any shorts. 
View Quote
We'll see.  Like I said, I'm still chasing it and getting stronger, last year was the first time this bone spur has hurt me (after riding a bike, of all things) and after a little while it was fine again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the replies SCW and Rex both.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Y'all need to eat more. Today I ate chicken and sausage in a tomato sauce for breakfsat(leftovers), 2 pieces of pizza, an Italian hoagie, and postworkout 2/3lb worth of burgers some bacon avacado and corn. Probably need to start cutting... Lifting was squats 90% for 5 singles. 465 never felt so easy. I popped nary a capillary. Did I mention I don't even like squats?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We'll see.  Like I said, I'm still chasing it and getting stronger, last year was the first time this bone spur has hurt me (after riding a bike, of all things) and after a little while it was fine again.
View Quote
Do you think using knee wraps might be able to pull/compress everything where it should be to reduce the impact of the bone spur?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you think using knee wraps might be able to pull/compress everything where it should be to reduce the impact of the bone spur?
View Quote
I doubt it, the problem (as was explained by an ortho that I'm not sure I trust) isn't that the bone spur exists, it's that I broke it.  So It's not (supposedly) a structural problem in the knee, but because it's cracked at the base of it I get a lot of pain when it's pulled on.

Wraps might help minimize the pulling on it... Maybe?

It might be worth trying.  Any suggestions for where I should order some wraps?  I've been wearing a sleeve for EVERYTHING for the last few weeks and I think it helps.  I wore it today for OHP.  Managed to press 157 for a triple, which is at or really near a PR for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I doubt it, the problem (as was explained by an ortho that I'm not sure I trust) isn't that the bone spur exists, it's that I broke it.  So It's not (supposedly) a structural problem in the knee, but because it's cracked at the base of it I get a lot of pain when it's pulled on.

Wraps might help minimize the pulling on it... Maybe?

It might be worth trying.  Any suggestions for where I should order some wraps?  I've been wearing a sleeve for EVERYTHING for the last few weeks and I think it helps.  I wore it today for OHP.  Managed to press 157 for a triple, which is at or really near a PR for me.
View Quote
I really like the slingshot knee wraps(you may as well order some gangsta wraps for your wrists too). I have the blue wraps, the red are supposed to be a bit more aggressive even. I like how I can put however much pressure where I need it. I like them more than sleeves because I get hot easy and I can't stand leaving sleeves on. So if you want a lot of compression where the spur is but not as much elsewhere you can achieve that with a little practice.

I typically will use a mild wrap just to support the joint a little to keep everything safer when I squat heavy. I don't have any knee problems. I have wrapped tighter before to expiriment and you can add a few lbs that way, but you don't have to wrap that tight. If you leave the wrap at a comfortable tension(allowing plenty of circulation) it will provide compression but no more extra than sleeves.

Good job on the OHP!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#38]
It might be too little too late, but I'm squatting light again without pain, will be increasing hte weight over the next few days to see if the spur has broken all the way loose or re-attached or whatever it periodically does, but I'm going to hit a solid program again and get back after 500lbs.

Thinking of the cube since my other lifts could use some help too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It might be too little too late, but I'm squatting light again without pain, will be increasing hte weight over the next few days to see if the spur has broken all the way loose or re-attached or whatever it periodically does, but I'm going to hit a solid program again and get back after 500lbs.

Thinking of the cube since my other lifts could use some help too.
View Quote
I've been doing cube, on week 6. It's intense, but it's definitely at least maintaining my squat (and potentially my deadlift, though I suck at deadlifts) and most certainly there's a bench PR coming, but we'll see.

basically as soon as my belt arrives I'm going to make an attempt. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Squatted 365 for 3 reps today and they felt really good, but I decided to stop there and go back down and do some sets at 315 and 225.  No pain as I left the gym, but it's starting to hurt a little now.  I think I'll squat up to 350 later in the week and see what I can get away with.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Squatted 365 for 3 reps today and they felt really good, but I decided to stop there and go back down and do some sets at 315 and 225.  No pain as I left the gym, but it's starting to hurt a little now.  I think I'll squat up to 350 later in the week and see what I can get away with.
View Quote
That's great. Have you tried box squats(or at least with the spur issue)? I really like how they feel on my hip, I feel like I can push my self towards what my muscles are capable of and not worry about the hip letting go on me. Something about how I slightly reset at the bottom maybe.

Start the cube yet? Doing Brandon Lily's or rolling your own?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's great. Have you tried box squats(or at least with the spur issue)? I really like how they feel on my hip, I feel like I can push my self towards what my muscles are capable of and not worry about the hip letting go on me. Something about how I slightly reset at the bottom maybe.

Start the cube yet? Doing Brandon Lily's or rolling your own?
View Quote
Box squats isn't a bad idea, I'll try it and see how it goes.  I've actually never done a box squat in my life so far, might as well start now.

No cube yet, I don't know how I can squat yet, can I get a few at sub maximal?  Can I get a bunch if I go a lot lighter?  So far 350 seems to be a threshold for the knee.  I can get a few at or below without being bothered, but much above that and I'm not much good.

I should start a cube for the other lifts though, they can use a good program.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Box squats isn't a bad idea, I'll try it and see how it goes.  I've actually never done a box squat in my life so far, might as well start now.

No cube yet, I don't know how I can squat yet, can I get a few at sub maximal?  Can I get a bunch if I go a lot lighter?  So far 350 seems to be a threshold for the knee.  I can get a few at or below without being bothered, but much above that and I'm not much good.

I should start a cube for the other lifts though, they can use a good program.
View Quote
You could also just enter that 350 number for your squat max and workout based off of that. Then as it starts feeling better adding to it.

Or, since you only go heavy with squats once every three weeks on cube you could put what your squat max is/was and do the other 2 workouts based off of the percentage of your real max and then just don't violate 350 until you can.

Just some ideas.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Put 285 up on bench again. This time it felt easy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Put 285 up on bench again. This time it felt easy.
View Quote
This is a squatting thread.  Especially since neither Rex or I want to brag about our bench presses.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is a squatting thread.  Especially since neither Rex or I want to brag about our bench presses.
View Quote
Yeah. Your femurs must be this short: <-> to post in this thread. GTFO with that bench press, if a fridge falls on my chest I guess I'll die
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yeah. Your femurs must be this short: <-> to post in this thread. GTFO with that bench press, if a fridge falls on my chest I guess I'll die
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you had to do a pull up?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bragging? I thought he was trying to cheer you guys up!

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's actually pretty funny....  jerk  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top