Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2017 7:55:53 AM EDT
I was thinking of picking some of these up for pull days to help with grip strength and get some indirect forearm work. Not for every exercise, but maybe use them for just BB rows and curls to start.

Anyone use them and like them? Or should I just stick to hanging motionless from the pullup bar and reverse curls. I usually do a set or two while I'm picking up and changing my shoes, I'm not even sure they do anything for me other than burn really bad.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got a set of the version from titan fitness. They were only $15 w/ free shipping. They fit really well on my dumbbell handles but have a decent gap on barbells. But I think that's how most of them are. I don't have enough experience with them to say how meaningful they are, but it seems generally accepted that they improve grip strength. So if that is something you are trying to work on, why not?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have enough experience with them to say how meaningful they are, but it seems generally accepted that they improve grip strength. So if that is something you are trying to work on, why not?
View Quote
I didn't realize Titan had them, I better check that out.

I'm not specifically training grip strength, but there is almost no disadvantage to improving it, especially for work. I was hoping more for some indirect forearm work. My forearms grow okay with just deadlift, rows and neutral grip pullups, but they've been bigger. I can't bring myself to spend a lot of time on hammer curls, wrist curls, reverse curls...etc.

With the kids and lower recovery capacity now, I like to keep workouts more time efficient.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#3]
They will help your grip strength.
Reverse curls are good as well particularly if you don't wrap your thumbs around the bar.
Same goes for when you do triceps cable pull downs. Use the rope but grab it high above the knot and don't wrap your thumb.
I also do farmer carries with dumb bells by wrapping a towel around the handles and let them hang from the towels and pinch the towels with your grip.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't overlook using them for pressing.  Fat bars for pressing are great for beat up shoulders, elbows, and wrists.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Have both sets, they're bombproof. If I'm at the top of my rep range in something, before I bump the weight up I add the fatgripz then the extremes. Theres also a few fatgripz circuits (I think the PDF workout comes with them) that turn your arms into useless swollen noodles if you do them to a T.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was thinking of picking some of these up for pull days to help with grip strength and get some indirect forearm work. Not for every exercise, but maybe use them for just BB rows and curls to start.

Anyone use them and like them? Or should I just stick to hanging motionless from the pullup bar and reverse curls. I usually do a set or two while I'm picking up and changing my shoes, I'm not even sure they do anything for me other than burn really bad.
View Quote

I have a pair of knock-offs (because the real deal ones are about 10 times as expensive as the generics up here ). I use them regularly for light hammer curls (no more than 50% of what I use for heavy hammer curls) and light reverse BB curls...on deadlift days.
I have used them for deadlifting, wasn't a problem. I've tried using them for Pendlay rows, but they put some funky strain on my wrists.

TL;DR - I like them, they're great for training grip with regard to deadlifting (I always double-overhand)
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Just ordered an off brand from Amazon tonight. Using them for makeshift farmer carry handles.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just ordered an off brand from Amazon tonight. Using them for makeshift farmer carry handles.
View Quote
They're fun for farmer's walk.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Just ordered the Titan version of Amazon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top