Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2017 4:38:50 PM EDT
Greetings everyone.

Due to the nature of my lifestyle, I'm looking for workouts I can do with minimal equipment.  Looking to build strength and overall fitness.  I've read some good things about the "Simple and Sinister" kettlebell program and the Ivan Ivanov Bulgarian Bag program.  

Please let me know if you've had any experience with either.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Kettlebells can wreck you, no question about it.  If you live in an apartment or something and only want to spend the bare minimum, buy a 55lb (or 70 if you're already pretty strong) KB and start sweating.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a range of kettlebells and they have their uses. Same with dumbbells and free weights. If your pinched on space, you could get adjustable dumbbells and adjustable kettlebells, trx suspension trainer that hooks to a door and some resistance bands. Takes up a very minimal space.

I had to look up that bulgarian bag but that looks very interesting. My only gripe would be being able to adjust the weight on the fly for different exercises and or the novelty of training with it wearing off. I have a feeling it would end up in the corner with some of my other stuff I was excited to use.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought Pavel's S&S book early last year, and I would say it's worth buying. He goes into detail, and some really good instruction on how not
to thrash yourself.

If possible, find a kettle bell coach that can give one on one instruction for the basics. YouTube can help with some things, but not so much with KB's.

I still do S&S along with my other kettle bell workouts. I also do barbell work occasionally, but have mostly transitioned to kettlebells. I'm a huge fan of them, and when I get the money and time, plan on attending either the StrongFirst Level I instructor program, or the RKC program (Pavel helped RKC come to be as well).
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice gentleman.  

I was pricing out kettlebells today and looks like kettlebellUSA is a manufacturer with a good reputation and price to quality ratio.  

You guys have any luck getting your wife or GF to KB with you?  My wife is in decent shape 135, but I think she could really benefit from some resistance training.  KB seemes more accessible than something like 5x5.

I have a strong first instructor near by, will definitely look into some professional help.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know about those two programs but with a 35#, 53#, and a 70# Kb you can achieve most anything you want.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was pricing out kettlebells today and looks like kettlebellUSA is a manufacturer with a good reputation and price to quality ratio.  

You guys have any luck getting your wife or GF to KB with you?  My wife is in decent shape 135, but I think she could really benefit from some resistance training.  KB seemes more accessible than something like 5x5.

I have a strong first instructor near by, will definitely look into some professional help.  Thanks.
View Quote

I made my first order this past weekend with kettlebellsusa for some competition style 24k's . The only issue so far is that when I emailed to the status of my order (it hasn't shipped) the VP replied back that they were out of stock but rec'd a new shipment today and would get it out shortly.... Problem is when I ordered it had a nice "in stock" showing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, KB's aren't cheap when add shipping. BUT... they are totally worth it. I'm telling you, if you move correctly with them for a given exercise (like any other training implement) the strength/conditioning results are impressive. I speak from experience and doing it myself.

As far as the wife is concerned, well, I can't get mine motivated to do anything workout related, even after introducing KB's (which seem to entice women for some reason) So, good luck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all of the great feedback.  I've decided to get both a Bulgarian bag and a few Kettlebells.  

I love the idea of breaking free of the gym and using these unconventional training methods. I hope to never look at a treadmill or elliptical again.  

I've adjusted my diet and have lost 30 lbs this year.  This is going to be a kick ass year.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I would highly recommend this adjustable kettlebell from Dicks. My wife and I purchased a couple last Christmas and they have been one of the best pieces of equipment that we own. Can go well past 50 pounds and is easily adjustable and uses standard plates that you can get just about anywhere for cheap...

Also, why not just get a sandbag from Brute Force or someplace? Sand is cheap then you could have another adjustable piece of equipment whether you wanted to run with it or load it up for heavy squats.

Here is the link for the adjustable kettlebell I recommend. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fitness-gear-adjustable-kettlebell-16fgeufgdjstblkbfktt/16fgeufgdjstblkbfktt
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#11]
One thing I have found on the kettlebells is tha you want the biggest handle (wide) that you can get.  If you can't easily fit both hands on it, it's going to suck.  The CAP stuff is garbage, Rogue is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I ended up buying an 35, 53, 70 pound "elite precision" set from Kettlebells USA.  I'm excited.  

Thanks for all of the info guys.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I ended up buying an 35, 53, 70 pound "elite precision" set from Kettlebells USA.  I'm excited.  

Thanks for all of the info guys.
View Quote
You can do everything you need with those three.

Just be sure to "own" a given weight before moving up in an exercise.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can do everything you need with those three.

Just be sure to "own" a given weight before moving up in an exercise.
View Quote
Yes.  Good advice.  In my mind it may be years before I really move up to the heavy one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Depending on your age, nutrition, and goals, I think you might surprise yourself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The thing about kettlebells is that they tend to incorporate movement patterns unfamiliar to people who have not lifted before, namely hip hinging and then explosively using the hips and glutes to generate power. Either get some instruction, or do some careful reading. Most people never do this in daily life, and it's the reason that the Romanian Deadlift is one of the hardest non-Olympic lifts to teach to people.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One thing I have found on the kettlebells is tha you want the biggest handle (wide) that you can get.  If you can't easily fit both hands on it, it's going to suck.  The CAP stuff is garbage, Rogue is awesome.
View Quote
Just an FYI for any others looking for some good quality KB's with a wide handle

Vulcanstrength

Vulcan strength has some fitness KB's that are very similar to the KB for KB sport (i.e. same size for all weights) but the handle is a little wider than the KB sport KB so it is easier to do 2 handed swings if you have large hands. I bought one to try out and it is so much better (for me) than any regular KB.  I would only go with KB sport or one of these.  I have some that change side with the weight and although I like the fatter grip better the change in size with weight does suck.

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top