Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2017 2:56:07 PM EDT
In Jim Wendler's book he says he wears his weightlifting belt for the entire workout, other experts say only wear it for near max reps.

What say the Arfcom fitness experts?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll get some fitness guys stating that wearing a belt for the whole workout helps keep one's waist slimmer, but I don't get the hype. I wear a belt on heavy dead lifts and squats. Pretty much anytime I go over 225 I throw my belt on for an insurance policy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll get some fitness guys stating that wearing a belt for the whole workout helps keep one's waist slimmer, but I don't get the hype. I wear a belt on heavy dead lifts and squats. Pretty much anytime I go over 225 I throw my belt on for an insurance policy.
View Quote

Wut?  A belt doesn't magically keep your abdominal muscles from working.  That's what isolation machines/exercises are for.

Use the belt as a tool and program it as such.

Keep in mind where Wendler came from, i.e. Westside.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wut?  A belt doesn't magically keep your abdominal muscles from working.  That's what isolation machines/exercises are for.

View Quote

I never said it worked. I said some people think that. You retarded?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Intredasting.......
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Any recommendations on a belt? I haven't gotten to the point where I feel one is necessary yet, but I imagine it would be wise for me to start wearing one soon.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

16'ers.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any recommendations on a belt? I haven't gotten to the point where I feel one is necessary yet, but I imagine it would be wise for me to start wearing one soon.
View Quote

If you only want to buy one belt ever(as long as you don't get too fat/skinny for it) get an Inzer forever belt. I like the levers. 10mm will probably be just fine, though you could go 13mm as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Inzer 13mm lever is what I use.  I've also used Rogue's leather belt, which is good.

eta:  damn, beat by mere seconds.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The belt is a great tool to help you remember to brace your core correctly. I recommend you wear it as early as you feel the need/want to wear it. While I believe there is benefit in doing beltless work, there is no benefit in injuring yourself. Lift smart and lift according to your abilities.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The belt is a great tool to help you remember to brace your core correctly. I recommend you wear it as early as you feel the need/want to wear it. While I believe there is benefit in doing beltless work, there is no benefit in injuring yourself. Lift smart and lift according to your abilities.
View Quote

And never proceed if you have to shit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is one rule in my gym: "Rule 1: Don't shit your pants."
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work out from 5:30 am to 6:30 am and shit mid-morning, like clockwork, so I'm good in that respect.  I do fart a lot in the gym though.  Wow, this turned into a poop thread!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

What does this mean?  What is Westside?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]
biggest fear doing squats, leg presses and deads.... autonomic shit. 
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm starting my 45th cycle of 531 Wednesday. I use the belt on my top set, sometimes the last 2. Usually I use it on any lift at or above 85% generally. Sometimes  I go beltless. I use an Inzer 13mm lever.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

fear of leg presses?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What does this mean?  What is Westside?
View Quote

Jim trained with Louie Simmons at Westside Barbell for a time.  I'll say the "majority," cause I really don't know, of his lifters competed in feds using equipment, squat suits, bench shirts, etc.  Jim's 1k squat was equipped.  

And then there's Louie's conjugate method.  I'm not very familiar with it, but it's interesting you don't really see it come out in 5/3/1.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Intredasting.......
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#19]
The whole waist slimmer deal I believe came from Ronnie Coleman or one of those elite body builders.  I believe several of them keep the belt on the entire workout.

Something about helping prevent the core muscles from engaging or some such.  The point being they don't want their waste getting big because it doesn't look as good aesthetically.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The whole waist slimmer deal I believe came from Ronnie Coleman or one of those elite body builders.  I believe several of them keep the belt on the entire workout.

Something about helping prevent the core muscles from engaging or some such.  The point being they don't want their waste getting big because it doesn't look as good aesthetically.  
View Quote

Exactly the point I was making, but gave up when I realized how this thread was too bro for me. Ronnie was a beast in the gym. Sadly, he is now paying the price.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Exactly the point I was making, but gave up when I realized how this thread was too bro for me. Ronnie was a beast in the gym. Sadly, he is now paying the price.
View Quote

Isn't it the other way around though?  Cause it's the bro (-science) that said wearing a belt will keep your waist smaller, while the "science" seems to point to an increased activation of those muscle groups while wearing a belt.

But it is Ronnie Coleman and I am just retarded.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 13mm inzer lever that I have owned for over 20yrs. I believe it is more useful in the sq and dls over about 80%.   The only other belt I would consider is the spud.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a 13mm inzer lever that I have owned for over 20yrs. I believe it is more useful in the sq and dls over about 80%.  The only other belt I would consider is the spud.
View Quote

Thanks for this rule of thumb, that makes sense and I am going to start using it that way and see how I feel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for this rule of thumb, that makes sense and I am going to start using it that way and see how I feel.
View Quote
Yes!  a good rule.

With a belt your lifts should increase in. it is a tool. It will increase the pressure in the ??"core"??, if worn correctly, That should translate into bigger lifts  because you become tighter/rigid through the lift.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#25]
My old strength coach was a Westside guy and currently is the head S/C Coach for an NFL team. He gave me a very simple philosophy to adopt on belts:

Don't use it as a crutch, but don't abandon the use of a belt at the expense of lifting heavier weight.

When you need a belt to lift heavy ass weight, belt up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I put on a belt around 90%. IMO somewhere 80%+ is probably fine.

There's a lot of misinformation about wearing a belt.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I have started to do. Doing 5/3/1, I have stopped wearing it for the first and second sets, but usually wear it for the third.  That varies a little depending on the week in the cycle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like a plan!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I have one from Best Belts. Been using it for 2 years.  I love it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here, and agreed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I never wear one while training.

I've tried while squatting and deadlifting, but it doesn't feel right.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
or if you have bad gas.  Let's just say I cleared out my area a few Fridays ago while deadlifting with bad gas.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I would wear it to Sunday brunch and talk about crossfit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I work out from 5:30 am to 6:30 am and shit mid-morning, like clockwork, so I'm good in that respect.  I do fart a lot in the gym though.  Wow, this turned into a poop thread!
View Quote
I let one out during a heavy deadlift that sounded like a duck call.  

Didn't poop myself, but the staff guy was over there spraying febreeze after i left the area.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Didn't poop myself, but the staff guy was over there spraying febreeze after i left the area.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I average one good blast per BJJ session.  Just happens and is fucking hilarious based on the fact that there is another dude fairly close to ground zero.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did THOUSANDS of squats last year and never once shit myself. YBMMV.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I wear my belt/sleeves/wraps for everything except light workout sets.  I often wear my singlet too.

Train how you compete.

If you're not competing, the honest answer is to wear it when you feel you need to. Before I started competing I NEVER wore a belt - even on heavy (4pl+) squats. I still don't wear a belt when I deadlift - even in competition. It restricts my ability to tighten up and get all my air in. But I'm a fat fuck.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have an Inzer and a Pioneer.

I use the Pioneer all the time now.

Cheaper than the Inzer, and just as good quality wise. I like the 13mm. May be a bit much for most people general training.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I put mine on when I go above 1.5x bodyweight on squats or deadlifts.

Also wear it for when I try out heavy overhead presses.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I squat/ deadlift some pretty heavy weight, but almost never use one.  Only time really is if I'm tired and I'm pressing overhead.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
the more i lift the more i should get one of these.    

anyone have a favorite from ELITE FTS?
View Quote
Ive been using one of their economy belts for about 5 yrs now. It's kinda molded to me now.

I bought the wife one from Best Belts a while back and it is awesome. I shouldn't have tried it because now I want one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
the more i lift the more i should get one of these.    

anyone have a favorite from ELITE FTS?
View Quote
I'd probably get the base belt 'cause I'm cheap and it kinda looks cool
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Is it weird that this thread is making me have to shit?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I still don't wear a belt when I deadlift - even in competition. It restricts my ability to tighten up and get all my air in. But I'm a fat fuck.
View Quote
This. I remember having difficult getting into position when conventional deadlifting while wearing a belt, as I start the pull with my hips very low.

I prefer to think I have a thick waist.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This. I remember having difficult getting into position when conventional deadlifting while wearing a belt, as I start the pull with my hips very low.

I prefer to think I have a thick waist.
View Quote
I have to get in position. Then stand up and adjust. And then get back down again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top