Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2017 12:03:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone ever heard of these guys or used any of their products?  Mrs. DJ was at the gym yesterday and they were there handing out samples - she wanted me to ask if anyone here had heard of them.

She doesn't lift, but she does run (not a lot - 5K distances) and wondered if it would be a good post-workout drink.

http://www.killcliff.com/
View Quote

Yep.. use em frequently after intense trail hiking or cardio sessions when I lived in Colorado. Supposedly created by a former SEAL or something and big in the Crossfit Cult

Just as good are the LIFEAID drinks in similar sized cans
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the zero sugar coffee ones.  Throw two of those in a shaker bottle with some protein powder.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a waste of $$ to me.  Synthetic vitamins, a sugar alcohol, and an undisclosed amount of "extracts".

I know, I know, a SEAL made it...
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Protein shake with sugar and oats would probably do you better If you are trying to gain mass.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you even read the OP?  

My wife is looking for a recovery drink for after her running.  She is not lifting weights.  She is definitely not looking to gain mass.

ETA - thanks for the feedback from the folks that have tried it
View Quote

I missed that it was your wife. I thought some DJ was handing out energy drinks and they didn't lift.

I will change my response to running is dumb.

Protein powder unflavored mixed with a scoop of Gatorade.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My wife is looking for a recovery drink for after her running.  She is not lifting weights.  She is definitely not looking to gain mass.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Protein shake with sugar and oats would probably do you better If you are trying to gain mass.

For endurance athletes, a recovery drink is typically intended to replenish muscle glyocogen quickly with maybe a bit of protein to repair muscle damage.  Killcliff won't do that because it contains an indigestable sugar alcohol and no protein.  

In any case, studies show little difference in muscle glycogen levels 24 hours after training between those who take calories immediately after exercise and those who just eat their normal 3x per day.  IOW, the post-workout recovery drink only matters for someone training more than once per day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
As previously stated there is not going to be any sort of recovery getting done with some sort of carbs and some protein, which are lacking in the drink. I've had them quite a few times but never for recovery. If I need a little pick me up but don't want a lot of caffeine or a hot coffee I'll grab one, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Post workout hydration from an intense session I use a mix of water, Gatorade and Glutamine (plays a role in cellular hydration and Leucine Uptake) and BCAA's followed up with a meal shortly after or a protein shake if I am in a rush and don't add the BCAA's I have a protein shake.

Pretty cheap to make and works at least for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I use them as a pre-workout. They're great.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used all that crap. The only "recovery" product that I have found effective is Vitalyte, an electrolyte replacement drink. http://www.vitalyte.com/

I will take a couple scoops in water after a long run. After a weight training session, I will do something similar to the above post, I will mix some vitalyte with glutamine and some BCAA's,
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The cold brew coffee is decent, but they're phasing out production of it.  I'm not crazy about the sugar alcohols in the other "recovery" drinks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd just drink gatorade, powder form
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd just drink gatorade, powder form
View Quote
To recover from a 3 mile run?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For endurance athletes, a recovery drink is typically intended to replenish muscle glycogen quickly with maybe a bit of protein to repair muscle damage.  Killcliff won't do that because it contains an indigestible sugar alcohol and no protein.  

In any case, studies show little difference in muscle glycogen levels 24 hours after training between those who take calories immediately after exercise and those who just eat their normal 3x per day.  IOW, the post-workout recovery drink only matters for someone training more than once per day.
View Quote
I agree to a large extent with your comments but would add that a good recovery drink/meal should be viewed as a chance to not just take in carbs, protein, vitamins and minerals but take them in the proper ratios. Carbs and protein from a recovery standpoint aren't of any value unless the right vitamins and minerals are available to metabolize them.

All you need to know about Kill Cliff CAN"T be found on their website. It's void of anything of substance about the product and most importantly where its made. Contrast that with a company like Hammer Nutrition. Everything they sell is laid bare on their website. Real science behind their products. That being said, Recoverite is the best recovery food on the market.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To recover from a 3 mile run?
View Quote

I mean over some expensive canned drink

A glass of milk would probably be better if you wanted to drink something, tho
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a soda that not terrible for you. It's not gonna make you stronger or faster, and I doubt it will be as effective as a post run protein shake or meal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I was bored at work so I took a look at their website...Yup, absolutely nothing about ingrediants or where it's made etc.

What was funny also was that I went over to their facebook page and they are now posting videos on how to best make their drink with booze.

So much for "Clean Recovery and Hydration".

I will skip it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top