BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 11:54:41 AM EDT
Anyone want to guess my bodyfat %?

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 246 lbs
BMI: 32.6 OBESE

I don't have any current pics of myself hosted anywhere, but here's my basic lifts if this helps:
BP: 300  (haven't tried to max in a while)
Squat: 395
Deadlift: 505

According to the Federal Government:
"Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women."

Which I wholeheartedly disagree with. It's been said that BMI is accurate for at least 70% of the population. It's not accurate for me. Being labeled as Obese kinda bugs me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a formula somewhere that is supposed to be pretty accurate. It uses body weight, height, and then waist, neck and wrist circumference to determine BF%.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
let us know how it goes, if you've never done it before ill bet you are fatter than you think you are.

I have done it several times.

One time we had a portable one come to the office at work, tested ill bet 20 people.   Without exception everyone who did it came out of the little trailer looking like someone had stolen their puppy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to think I was only a month of hardcore dieting away from an awesome body. After being in the bod pod I realized I was fatter than I thought and not as muscular as I thought.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
24% BF is my guess
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to think I was only a month of hardcore dieting away from an awesome body. After being in the bod pod I realized I was fatter than I thought and not as muscular as I thought.
View Quote

haha yep, that thing will put you in your place real quick
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
It's insane to think I've got ~50 lbs of fat on my body. I wish I could see what I would look like if I lost another 20 lbs. People would probably say I was "ripped" without gaining any additional muscle. I will try and take a pic tonight, down to 244 as of this morning. I still haven't been able to get ahold of the proper people at this facility to sign up for a bodpod session. Ideally I'd like to do this in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone want to guess my bodyfat %?

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 246 lbs
BMI: 32.6 OBESE

Which I wholeheartedly disagree with. It's been said that BMI is accurate for at least 70% of the population. It's not accurate for me. Being labeled as Obese kinda bugs me.
View Quote

What are you hoping to learn and how do you plan on using that information to shape your training or diet?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey OP.

Try out this formula before you do it, I'm curious to see how accurate it is.

http://www.davedraper.com/bodyfat-calculation.html

For Men:
Before you use the formulas, there are two measurements that are required:

Measurement 1: Bodyweight

Measurement 2: Waist Girth (measured at the umbilicus)

Procedure:
1)Multiply your bodyweight by 1.082. Add the result to 94.42. Once your calculation is complete, save the number. à (Bodyweight x 1.082) + 94.42=Result 1

2)Multiply your waist girth by 4.15. Once you get this result, subtract it from the number obtained in step 1 (ie: Step 1 result-Step 2 result). The result obtained after the subtraction is done is your lean bodyweight (your weight if you had no fat in your body at all). à Result 1 - (Waist Girth x 4.15)= Lean Body Weight

3)Finally, subtract your lean bodyweight from your total bodyweight (Total weight-Lean Bodyweight). Once you get the result, multiply that number by 100. Once you get the result divide it by your total bodyweight. This final result is your percentage of body fat. à ((Total Bodyweight - Lean Bodyweight) x 100) divided by (Your Body Weight) = Your Percentage of Body Fat.

Example:
I weigh 190 and I have a 30.5inch waist. Therefore, step 1 is (190 x 1.082) + 94.42 = 300. Step 2 says that my lean body weight equals 300-(30.5 x 4.15)=173.425. Finally, Step 3 says that my body fat percentage is ((190-173.425) x 100) divided by 190= 8.72%.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey OP.

Try out this formula before you do it, I'm curious to see how accurate it is.

http://www.davedraper.com/bodyfat-calculation.html
View Quote

FWIW, the lean mass result from that formula comes within ~3 pounds (Tanita says 154, formula 157) of what my Tanita impedance scale tells me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's insane to think I've got ~50 lbs of fat on my body. I wish I could see what I would look like if I lost another 20 lbs. People would probably say I was "ripped" without gaining any additional muscle. I will try and take a pic tonight, down to 244 as of this morning. I still haven't been able to get ahold of the proper people at this facility to sign up for a bodpod session. Ideally I'd like to do this in the morning.
View Quote

I am lucky with the bodpod, it is at BYU which is 20 minutes from me, and its only 20 bucks do get it done.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright, finally made it to the BOD POD yesterday afternoon, after work. I fasted for 3 hours prior. Whole thing took about 8 minutes and it was free.

Weight: 245.69 lbs
Height 73"
Fat Free mass: 201.784 lbs
Fat Mass: 43.901 lbs
% Fat  17.9 %      !!!!
Fat Rating: Moderately Lean

Estimated BMR:

Sedentary: 3126 kcal
Low Active: 3687 kcal
Active: 4249
Very Active: 5079

I should probably take some pics, but yeah, I am really happy with this result. My friend immediately said "oh yeah that's not very accurate".  BUT
I think it is pretty accurate, the independent study they did found it was accurate to +/- 2.7%, which is not that much.

According to the BMI chart my "ideal" weight is 195 lbs.  When I was in the Army that was the weight they wanted me to be.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Alright, finally made it to the BOD POD yesterday afternoon, after work. I fasted for 3 hours prior. Whole thing took about 8 minutes and it was free.

Height 73"
% Fat  17.9 %      !!!!

Estimated BMR:

I should probably take some pics, but yeah, I am really happy with this result. My friend immediately said "oh yeah that's not very accurate".  BUT
I think it is pretty accurate, the independent study they did found it was accurate to +/- 2.7%, which is not that much.

According to the BMI chart my "ideal" weight is 195 lbs.  When I was in the Army that was the weight they wanted me to be.
View Quote

thats awesome congrats.  you are a big hombre.....over 200 pounds non fat mass.  I am 175 ish and bigger than most dudes walking around.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
24% BF is my guess
View Quote

Good guess.

Did the Bod Pod in October at 235lbs, 6'1" and was 24.5%
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Height 73"
% Fat  17.9 %      !!!!

Estimated BMR:

View Quote

The BMI chart is crap. At 189, where I am supposed to be, I would be at 6% body fat. That would be shredded to the point of non-sustainability.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The BMI chart is crap. At 189, where I am supposed to be, I would be at 6% body fat. That would be shredded to the point of non-sustainability.
View Quote

BMI is for the majority of the population.

There are outliers, but for regular folks it's usually good.

I tipped into overweight category last year and stayed there.

When I went into for my physical she asked what the goal was for working out, I told her another 10-15 lbs over the course of a few years. Surprisingly she said "Sounds good, your BMI is showing you as overweight, but stay lean and it will be fine"
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When I went into for my physical she asked what the goal was for working out, I told her another 10-15 lbs over the course of a few years. Surprisingly she said "Sounds good, your BMI is showing you as overweight, but stay lean and it will be fine"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that, but, I wonder as our understanding of strength and nutrition grows will the BMI chart need to be adjusted? I see more kids today that are bigger and more muscular at younger ages than we were due to diet and the broad variety of youth sports available to them. We just flat out know more.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I get that, but, I wonder as our understanding of strength and nutrition grows will the BMI chart need to be adjusted? I see more kids today that are bigger and more muscular at younger ages than we were due to diet and the broad variety of youth sports available to them. We just flat out know more.
View Quote
I don't think so because BMI is primarily for the sedentary or lightly active (housework and gardening) population.  I see kids that are a lot taller, but most are fatter not more muscular, but I'm glad someone is seeing non-fatty young'uns.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

There should be two scales, one that uses a known BF%, and the standard one.

If you shift the existing scale, then fatties will just use it to say "See, I knew I was just big boned", it works well for people that don't lift trying to gain lean mass.

I see big muscular kids, but no more than I did when we were kids, just those guys that had puberty hit hard and fast and ate like monsters while they were playing sports.

The rest of the big kids I see are just carrying too much body fat. Kids should be lean and lanky while they are growing, not squishy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I definitely had more fat than I thought.

I did the BodPod on January 10th.

Height: 67in
Weight: 157.8lbs
% Fat: 22.4
% Fat Free Mass: 77.6
Fat Mass: 35.4
Fat Free Mass: 122.4
Rated at EXCESS FAT

I am little guy and I don't have love handles or anything, so I figured I would be around 14-17%.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top