Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 4:10:03 PM EDT
I'm having pain in my shins from jogging. Anyone have experience using compression sleeves? What kind? I heard good things about the Zensah, but for $37 a pair... looking for some alternatives.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm having pain in my shins from jogging. Anyone have experience using compression sleeves? What kind? I heard good things about the Zensah, but for $37 a pair... looking for some alternatives.

Thanks.
View Quote

Compression probably isn't going to do much for your tendonitis.  It has modest, but proven, benefits for post-exercise recovery and unproven effects on during exercise performance (probably placebo).

If you want compression, go look for old guy 'beetus socks.  Don't run them through the dryer to extend their life, but all compression gear loses its effectiveness over time as it wears out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I started using the Zensah sleeves after starting running again after taking a long break, due to twitching calves and muscle spasms.  The sleeves really helped my recovery, and lessened the leg twitching post workout.
Yes, they are expensive, but I've had one set for over a year and they are still doing great at compressing even after going through the wash a bunch.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Shin splints are a bastard.

Have you tried foam rolling the hell out of the calves and shins?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shin splints are a bastard.

Have you tried foam rolling the hell out of the calves and shins?
View Quote
Lots of rolling and ibuprofen. Was hurting so much the other night that the pain woke me up multiple times throughout the night.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The first step in treating tendonitis is to stop doing the activity causing the tendonitis until symptoms subside.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The first step in treating tendonitis is to stop doing the activity causing the tendonitis until symptoms subside.
View Quote

This. If it was me I would take two weeks off and do low-impact cardio. Steady state rowing, biking, elliptical, spin bike sprints, and swimming would be my go-to cardio activities.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
It could also be shin splints, which must be treated with rest. Otherwise it becomes stress fractures

+1 on finding non impact cardio until it heals
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The single best thing I found for tendinitis is to fill up a 5gal bucket with ice water, and stand in it for 30 sec per leg, every 5 minutes, for an hour a day.

The ice bath provides much faster cooling/heating than an ice pack, so in one hour you get the same cumulative effect as several hours of "20min on/20min off" with an ice pack.

I do use compression calf sleeves when running though.

My tendinitis flares up in the back, on the Achilles', or as cramping at the top of the calf, in the back. I never really get shin pain.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to have awful shin splints when running.  Almost completely cured them by going to zero drop / minimalist shoes.  Merrell Trail Gloves and various Vibram five fingers.

I am talking my whole life until 30, I still worked out, stretched. Etc.m but they were there when I ran.  I changed shoes and it changed my ability to run for extended distances and times.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I used to have awful shin splints when running.  Almost completely cured them by going to zero drop / minimalist shoes.  Merrell Trail Gloves and various Vibram five fingers.

I am talking my whole life until 30, I still worked out, stretched. Etc.m but they were there when I ran.  I changed shoes and it changed my ability to run for extended distances and times.
View Quote

I wear trail gloves when I run and absolutely love them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top