Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 11:48:45 AM EDT
I have signed up for a Half Marathon for part of my training, it is on April 1st here in Arkansas. I am going to see how I fair with 4 months to go for the full.

Last marathon I ran was in 2012, when I was active duty and doing PT alot more than I do in retirement.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck. I ran  the Marine Corps marathon in 06.
That cured me from wanting to run marathons.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm training for the OKC Memorial marathon on April 30th. It'll be my second time to run it.

I've also signed up for a tune up half marathon on April 1.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes and No. I am doing another half in 2 weeks and plan to do a full in December. I am going to start picking up my training here soon though. My problem is, 2 weeks out of the month I can only run on a treadmill. That really puts a damper on my training. I have a hard time getting more than 6 miles out of a treadmill run before I quit out of sheer boredom.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, training for Boston 2017.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes and No. I am doing another half in 2 weeks and plan to do a full in December. I am going to start picking up my training here soon though. My problem is, 2 weeks out of the month I can only run on a treadmill. That really puts a damper on my training. I have a hard time getting more than 6 miles out of a treadmill run before I quit out of sheer boredom.
View Quote

Treadmill running sucks, but you wouldn't suffer much a decrement in marathon performance if you either a) ran a 6 miler every day for the two weeks you were limited to a treadmill and then just went back to your training plan the other two weeks of the month or b) did two runs per day on the treadmill to maintain your weekly mileage.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
  I just   started training for a 13.1 miler,  not sure of the route,  but it is  last weekend in April.
 Have never done any distance racing. mostly, occasional 5K footraces, and    twice  ran a 10K.
 We  still have ice on the ground in places,   so not getting much   practice yet, but  I am ramping up the DIET: Bacon eggs for breakfast.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Treadmill running sucks, but you wouldn't suffer much a decrement in marathon performance if you either a) ran a 6 miler every day for the two weeks you were limited to a treadmill and then just went back to your training plan the other two weeks of the month or b) did two runs per day on the treadmill to maintain your weekly mileage.
View Quote

I try to do 3 miles on the treadmill on the days I lift. The other days I do 5 or more on the treadmill. I will throw in some time on the elliptical as well to keep my miles up. I may try doing the treadmill twice a day when time gets closer though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a half in June and then another in September. Wife was talking about a full in late September , but im not not too sure I want to.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
even if you have to shorten or skips the training runs during the week, make sure to get in the longer weekend runs to keep increasing your longest run as you work up to race day
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I try to do 3 miles on the treadmill on the days I lift. The other days I do 5 or more on the treadmill. I will throw in some time on the elliptical as well to keep my miles up. I may try doing the treadmill twice a day when time gets closer though.
View Quote
Total weekly miles is probably the most important metric for long distance running success.  It's for sure more important than the distance of your longest training run.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I ran several one summer and then just stopped running all together.

So far this month I have logged 22 miles. I am slowly starting to enjoy running again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I am contemplating signing up for a half marathon. I'm wondering how little actual outdoor running I can do and still adequately train for the race. My goal is under 2 hours, but 1:52 might be reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Currently in training for a marathon on April 22, 2017.  After that, I may catch an occasional half-marathon here or there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Best of luck OP!!

A half is about all I can do. Just did one last weekend and my legs are still fried.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#15]
8 mile run on saturday.
Felt pretty good, but legs were NOT ready for 5 more miles.
. Pretty sure I  will want a snack if I run much longer than 80 minutes, maybe water as well
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I am running a marathon on May 7th in Lincoln, NE.

Where in AR are you?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#17]
How did you do?

I am training for the Missoula in July.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm up to 6 miles at a 11min/mile pace.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Half-heartedly.  I'm hoping to be around there by the end of summer.  Been running a bit over a year, and I've gotten up to a half-marathon (no races, just training).

Currently focusing on HR/pace-driven training and increasing my weekly mileage to ~25mi.

ETA:  Also working on sub-20min 5k.  Currently at 24min 5k and ~2:15 half marathon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Did a 7 miler today.

Time was bad because I stopped to talk to a neighbor twice and forgot to stop my running app!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Last true long run of the cycle yesterday (20 miles). Now to taper until race day on the 30th.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Sixth Pittsburgh Marathon for me this Sunday. I've run every single day since Dec 31st and have exactly 750 miles under my belt. Just 4 miles today and 3 tomorrow and then 4 days off.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I registered for St Jude yesterday. No turning back now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Wife is training for a Disney marathon in January, so essentially, yes, I'm training for one. Maybe not so willingly though. I've done several half marathons and two scheduled later this year but I don't know if I my mind could actually  handle running for that long. I think the body would be just fine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Training for tough mudder, that count?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I posted a thread in the General Discussion about it.  I was thinking the NY Marathon, only because it seems like the largest and we'd like to visit NYC.

Now I'm considering the Disney one.  We have 5 kids and my wife can do some fun stuff with the kids while I run.  Plus, I don't have to focus solely on running for the rest of the summer to make the NYC one as there is just too much fun stuff to do here in Utah in the summer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Ran the Missoula Marathon yesterday, my first. 

3:26:58, 90th place overall out of around 1000, 9th for my semi old guy age group.

Pretty happy with it overall, but ran the first seven pretty conservitive. probably could have been under 3:25 for a BQ time.

Oh well. I am already planning for the next one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ran the Missoula Marathon yesterday, my first. 

3:26:58, 90th place overall out of around 1000, 9th for my semi old guy age group.

Pretty happy with it overall, but ran the first seven pretty conservitive. probably could have been under 3:25 for a BQ time.

Oh well. I am already planning for the next one.
View Quote
That's awesome and one hell of a time. I know you have put in the training to get there so you definitely deserve it. If I get close to that in December I will be thrilled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top