Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2017 3:04:40 AM EDT
I started lifting heavy again (had an otj injury in nov).  Also, my work is doing a fitness challenge.  
Points for muscle gained and fat lost.  

I am 6'6" and 260.  Currently 20% bf.  
I put on 2lbs of muscle since Jan 1.  

I have been averaging 100 to 150 grams of protein a day.  (1 50g shake and the rest from food).  

Google revealed anywhere from 0.8 to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight.  

Anyone have input on the ideal amount of protein per day?  

200 to 390 grams per day is a big range.  And 390 would be a gut buster.  I have a hard time hitting my bmr caloric minimum (2336 cal)
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:53:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about ideal, but I shoot for 1g/lb of lean body mass (I.e. the fat doesn't count as you're not "feeding" it).

If you're gaining muscle while losing fat, you're probably close to where you need to be and don't need to worry about fine tuning, at least not yet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
How is your kidney function?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know about ideal, but I shoot for 1g/lb of lean body mass (I.e. the fat doesn't count as you're not "feeding" it).

If you're gaining muscle while losing fat, you're probably close to where you need to be and don't need to worry about fine tuning, at least not yet.
View Quote

I think that one gets overlooked a bit, and probably why it's recommend a lot to use 0.8g/lb, to account for the fact people won't figure out how much fat they have.

I approach it like this. I try to make my macro ratio protein heavy, muscle synthesis takes time. If you consume 2 lbs of chicken you aren't going to build two lbs of muscle, you probably get a pretty similar outcome from 1.5 lbs of chicken, or 1 lb of chicken and a big glass of milk.

As long as you are consuming enough to keep growing, it seems like a waste to overload on it, at least until you are very advanced and/or using drugs to speed up recovery and synthesis.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How is your kidney function?
View Quote

That myth needs to DIE.

I shoot for at least 225 grams a day, and right now I weight about 223 pounds.  

If I were you id go for at least 225-250 a day, with your goal being to add muscle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I am currently 120 lbs of muscle.  

GFR is normal, no kidney dysfunction.   I do run a prolonged ptt.  But thays about the only abnormality.  

I have been happy with my gains so far.  I have added 60 lbs to my bench, 90 to my squat, 165 to my dead.  
All in the past month.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am currently 120 lbs of muscle.  

GFR is normal, no kidney dysfunction.   I do run a prolonged ptt.  But thays about the only abnormality.  

I have been happy with my gains so far.  I have added 60 lbs to my bench, 90 to my squat, 165 to my dead.  
All in the past month.
View Quote

Those numbers are strictly based on you lifting again and not 150g of protein intake. 150g of protein is not enough for 260lb man lifting heavy. I have on average(like Isreal) 225-260 depending on the day. I'm 218 at 14% bf.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That myth needs to DIE.

If I were you id go for at least 225-250 a day, with your goal being to add muscle.
View Quote

One of the jobs of the kidneys is to retain large molecules. (Protein)

If your kidney function is at all compromised, it is not a good idea to overload them with large amounts protein.

If your kidneys are functioning well, do whatever you wish.

Where am I wrong here?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If your kidney function is at all compromised, it is not a good idea to overload them with large amounts protein.

Where am I wrong here?
View Quote

Are you talking about either creatine/bun ratio in blood work? Mine is always high and I've had my doc look at it. She says it's normal for an overactive male who consumes as much protein as I do.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I eat about 250-275 grams of protein daily.  I used to eat 400-450 grams a day, but realized that it was overkill.  

I'm 210lbs under 12% currently.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#10]
You might be surprised how little protein actually gets utilized for protein synthesis.

Saw a study where subjects eating just 30 grams of protein in a meal were getting the same muscle synthesis as subjects eating 90 grams in a meal. With just 15 grams actually being utilized for muscle syntheais. The rest gets turned in to glycogen in your liver.

If you are only eating 3 meals a day then much more than 90 grams is just going to get turned in to energy. Adding in more servings of protein throughout the day will let you actually utilize more of that protein for building muscles.

So lets say you squeeze in 3 extra 30ish gram servings of protein, you are still only up to about 180 grams in a day.

I'm sure i'll get flamed for the dissenting opinion but the studies are out there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That myth needs to DIE.

View Quote

Speaking of myths- hasn't the 1g- 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight been debunked ? Isn't it closer to .65g to build muscle ?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#12]
This guy weighs 220lbs and said he eats 130-170g of protein a day
340kg / 750lbs Deadlift @100kg
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This guy weighs 220lbs and said he eats 130-170g of protein a day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdTc2Gv52uI
View Quote

According to science the human body can only absorb on average 7g of protein per hour. So with said in a 24 hour time period = 168G of protein. His consumption would sound correct ?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where am I wrong here?
View Quote

I read into that wrong, I thought you meant that just eating protein for a normal person was not good, if you eat too much.  I didn't realize what you actually meant.

My apologies.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Those numbers are strictly based on you lifting again and not 150g of protein intake. 150g of protein is not enough for 260lb man lifting heavy. I have on average(like Isreal) 225-260 depending on the day. I'm 218 at 14% bf.
View Quote

Understood.  Just feeling good about the progress I have made.  

I was doing a 4 day split.  With reps of 12, 10, 8 l, 6.  

I hit a a point where I wasn't gaining.

Took a few months off and downloaded the Jim steppani app.  Even though I lost some gains, I somehow managed to plow through the plateau and am lifting heavier.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I started lifting heavy again (had an otj injury in nov).  Also, my work is doing a fitness challenge.  

I have been averaging 100 to 150 grams of protein a day.  (1 50g shake and the rest from food).  

200 to 390 grams per day is a big range.  And 390 would be a gut buster.  I have a hard time hitting my bmr caloric minimum (2336 cal)
View Quote

I'm similar size.  6'4 265.  I basically just eat as much protein as I can.  By the numbers I should be 300+ grams, but I have a hard time doing that.  I did some calculations a few days ago, just to maintain: 359 grams protein, 186 grams fat and 419 grams carbs and about 4000 cals or so.  I can't hit that on protein.  I can hit the others just on junk food though.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm similar size. 6'4 265.  
View Quote

Dam son, I knew you were big but not that big!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dam son, I knew you were big but not that big!
View Quote

I was 6'5.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:49:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm similar size.  6'4 265.  I basically just eat as much protein as I can.  By the numbers I should be 300+ grams, but I have a hard time doing that.  I did some calculations a few days ago, just to maintain: 359 grams protein, 186 grams fat and 419 grams carbs and about 4000 cals or so.  I can't hit that on protein.  I can hit the others just on junk food though.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm the same size.  I have a hard time eating enough and getting enough protein.  I supplement  with whey at times but try to stick with food such as eggs, beef, chicken, milk, etc.

I like eating but I hate feeling full all the time.  It's my Achilles heel in training for sure.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I have been seeing gains in the 130 to 170 grams a day range.  Guess if I stop gaining.  I will re look at my diet.  

Thanks for the advice guys!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You might be surprised how little protein actually gets utilized for protein synthesis.

Saw a study where subjects eating just 30 grams of protein in a meal were getting the same muscle synthesis as subjects eating 90 grams in a meal. With just 15 grams actually being utilized for muscle syntheais. The rest gets turned in to glycogen in your liver.

If you are only eating 3 meals a day then much more than 90 grams is just going to get turned in to energy. Adding in more servings of protein throughout the day will let you actually utilize more of that protein for building muscles.

So lets say you squeeze in 3 extra 30ish gram servings of protein, you are still only up to about 180 grams in a day.

I'm sure i'll get flamed for the dissenting opinion but the studies are out there.
View Quote

I haven't read the study and I'm at work so I'll look for it later... but I think it's safe to assume it's like every other fitness targeted study ever done? Untrained individuals, small sample size?

edit: I'm in the 1g/lb of lean mass camp myself, but under 100g for anybody that actually trains would be counter productive. The problem with most studies is that they either measure MPS in the sketchiest way possible, or their version of resistance training is aggressive couch  yoga.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
So how would I get their daily calories on only 160gr of protein? Why of course through pizza, beer, and twizzlers.

Ill stick to 1g per 1lb of bw and I dont care if I shit out most of the protein. Protein keeps me full and not enables me to stuff useless food in my face because I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I haven't read the study and I'm at work so I'll look for it later... but I think it's safe to assume it's like every other fitness targeted study ever done? Untrained individuals, small sample size?

edit: I'm in the 1g/lb of lean mass camp myself, but under 100g for anybody that actually trains would be counter productive. The problem with most studies is that they either measure MPS in the sketchiest way possible, or their version of resistance training is aggressive couch  yoga.
View Quote

I certainly wouldn't recomend dropping much below 100g per day for anyone lifting my point was jusy that some of these folks eating 400 grams a day are probably overdoing it/not getting the benefit they think and to maximize muscle synthesis it's best to try and spread out protein intake rather than cram in a couple meals with 100 grams each.

Training levels are kind of insignificant for this, your body can only turn so much protein in to muscle without hgh or something
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So how would I get their daily calories on only 160gr of protein? Why of course through pizza, beer, and twizzlers.

Ill stick to 1g per 1lb of bw and I dont care if I shit out most of the protein. Protein keeps me full and not enables me to stuff useless food in my face because I'm hungry.
View Quote

Many people fill those cal requirements with healthy fats. You aren't shitting out most of the protein, you will trun it in to glycogen. Of the processes to guve your body energy converting protein in to glucose isn't really the best way and can be hard on your liver and kidneys.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Stacked 5.5 lbs of muscle this month.  

Not sure when I will plateu
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like a lot of bodybuilding/lifting info, there's a variance between natural and "enhanced" lifters. When you're natty, you're simply not building as much muscle, no matter how much stimulation you expose your cells to. On sufficient gear, you're essentially always building muscle. Kinda the same reason many bodybuilders can get huge chasing a pump or with crazy volume, while natural lifters generally get big by going heavy- more intensity, frequency, less volume per session.

Edit: I have seen studies showing that increasing protein as a percentage of your calories is associated with fat loss and muscle retention, all else being equal. But I can't recall what kind of proportions were in the control and test groups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top