Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2017 4:07:16 PM EDT
Unlike most of you I am no health nut and too old to be doing any hard core exercising ( mid 50s )

What I am exploring getting into is making some juice drinks ( mainly vegetable ) and wandering what the harm would be to add a protein powder to them as an added boost ?

I have pretty good eating habits and like nearly all veggies. I eat plenty of fruits already ( daily banana apple grapes and occasional season citrus ) - Lots of sugars in fruit so that's why I wanna use veggies for my juicing.

I eat the occasional steak - bacon at least a few times a week for breakfast and eggs ( mostly chicken and fish - salmon halibut ) is my meat sources / protein. Can I eat too much protein by adding a protein powder to my juices ?

What protein powders are the best ? Not looking for the expensive Gucci brands

I do not want to gain weight ( actually trying to shed pounds ) protein supplement would not make me gain weight would it ?

I am very muscular / thick and strong for my age of 55. 6'1 and 255lbs - would love to shed 20-30lbs before summer by having a nice veggie juice drink daily that may allow me to cut back on breakfast / lunch calorie consumption.

Yea my post seems all over the board ... basically want the pros and cons of me taking a protein additive

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
what are your macros? do you need more protein? juicing is silly. all of the sugar none of the fiber. Are you short on some micronutrient that you want to increase by juicing? If you add protein powder to juice it will probably taste gross. If you actually need more protein then mixing protein powder with unsweetened almond milk is an easier way to chug it down.

It sounds like you don't have much of a plan here, you want to juice and drink protein and lose weight. are you replacing a 1500 calorie fast food lunch with juice and protein powder? that might help you lose weight. As for what's best... I just get whey protein isolate from the bulk section at sprouts. It's inexpensive and has the lowest amount of carbs.

Start off by downloading my fitness pal. Find a more suitable macro ratio than what it recommends. I personally like a High fat low carb ratio like 70% fat 20% protein and less than 10% carbs YMMV. Track everything and figure out how many calories you are eating, how much you are expending and what your macro ratios are and adjust your diet from there.

50 is not too old for serious exercise. Great thread posted today of a 71 year old gentleman who does his age in pushups each year in under a minute. I think he managed 89 or something. Strength training will do a lot to keep you feeling young and healthy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Myprotein.com is in the category of good and cheap.

I get the unflavored, it's just plain old whey and soy lecithin without other stuff.

Whey is just food, most people use it because it's cheap and easier to stuff in their face than one more god awful boiled chicken breast. If you are hitting your macros without it, it's just money spent. Nothing wrong or dangerous with it, just not needed until you have a macro goal and some idea of what you are consuming.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Never too old to lift.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never too old to lift.
View Quote

He speaks the truth
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea I doubt I will be lifting any weights.
I have plenty of muscles.

As far as a macro... I ain't even gonna ask, as I am not interested in becoming a food micro biologist in this thread. Just interested in a daily healthy juice drink option that can improve my health

The juice ( Mostly blended veggies with 1/2 an apple and a dozen seedless grapes ) are going down pretty nicely. Kinda bland tasting but I went into it expecting that.

I have made it my late morning or noon drink so I can either skip breakfast or have one in lieu of eating lunch.

Spinach cucumber zucchini celery ginger root carrot green pepper 1/2 apple and dozen grapes. Not measuring ingredients, but I get about a 16 oz juice drink out of it. The new juicer thing I nabbed off of Amazon kicks ass. easy clean up and has 3 settings for pulp so I get some of that fiber in with the drinks.

Going to hold off on the protein powder as I am pretty sure I am getting plenty of that in my diet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you need to start tracking. If you want to lose weight you need an idea of how much energy you are burning and consuming.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Never too old to tone
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote

He said he didn't want to if the weights or track what he eats, give the guy a break.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Went clicking on Amazon and ordered this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7IODXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Have never taken a protein supplement in my life ... figured what the hell, it can't hurt.
If I am gonna choke down one of them juice drinks each day I may as well pack some Chuck Norris super power in it

I am pretty intouch with my body, with how it feels and what works and doesn't work. As I stated, I have a pretty good diet - food intake regime already. I am not a junk food eater. Do not eat that much bread rice taters or other carb laden foods ( but I do eat them on occasion )

Just wanted to shake things up in my fitness world as I turn 56yo in a couple weeks and feel myself getting alittle more achy and tired easier.

My hats off to all you macro guys and your time in the gym and monitoring every single food item you take in.
I must not be as tough or focused as I hoped as I know that level of dedication just ain't for me. I am happy and content with the little changes. As I stated I am in far better shape than other men my age and most people think I am in my 40s unless they know me personally.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#10]
It really only takes about 5 minutes to put your food in to my fitness pal each day. Pretty much every food is easy to search in there and if you are making the same meals frequently you can save them.

If you aren't going to figure out where you are at in the first place there's not really a good way to tell you how to move forward.

There are a billion different juice and smoothie recipes out there. Since you don't have any specific nutrition goals in mind you may as well just go try a bunch of them out and see what you like.

My smoothie recipe is pecans, chia seeds, baby spinach kale and chard, almond milk. You blend these together first. Add a heaping tablespoon of coconut oil, avocados, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and ice. This along with some extra fat and protein and a multivitamin covers your bases pretty well for pretty much all of your micro nutrients and gives a good base for macros.

Don't be scared of weights, start with some light dumbells or just a bare barbell. Do squats deadlifts bench and overhead press. Hell 15 lb dumbells will turn in to a 300 lb squat in no time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Tracking food takes about a week to become a habit, after that it's easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top