Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 6:45:38 PM EDT
Finally getting back to working out again.

I have been hitting up the concept 2 rower and am going to be getting back to kettlbell, trx trainer and pullups in the next month.

Problem - My hip flexors as well as my hamstrings are getting tighter as I get older

What to you guys do for them?

I have been trying to stretch them everyday (~2-3 minutes at a time 4-5 times a day) for the past month and I am not seeing any improvement.

I have been toying with the idea of yoga but I tried to do the DD pose for hamstrings and I look like I am trying to bear crawl

So give me some of your best advice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Lay flat on back, legs up in the air as though you are trying to hold up the ceiling with your feet.  Hold there, sometimes bring toes down towards you for better stretch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Rather than stretching, get blood flowing to the areas. Air squats, good mornings, etc. Stretching can be counter productive in some situations. I think of stretching as a way to maintain mobility and blood flow as a way of dealing with pain.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
moar squats

also stretching cold muscles is no bueno
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
moar squats

View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The Ultimate Guide To Hip Impingement For Powerlifters & Weightlifters ft. Shane Dowd
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bingo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
moar squats

Bingo

Ok I understand that stretching cold muscles isn't good but other than warming up my body what else will air squats do for my hip flexor and hamstring tightness?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok I understand that stretching cold muscles isn't good but other than warming up my body what else will air squats do for my hip flexor and hamstring tightness?
View Quote

Stretch them

It will also make them stronger/longer and more flexible

I would also do more weight than just air squats.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Also look at your core (abs/glutes) strength. Maybe good, but may need some work.

Try planks and glute raises/hip bridges.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Appropriate username

I've done a lot of yoga but now I just use some bands.  

Stretching is a moving target in my mind.  what works for you now won't work in 6 months or it really wasn't working for you at the start.  When I started lifting I did a lot of yoga, there's some yoga for weight lifters videos on Youtube that work really well.  then I signed up for RomWod for a while and it worked really well, but I got out of the habit and quit.

What I'm doing now it not something that would have worked when I was starting, so I'd really suggest you get cracking on the yoga until you get enough mobility to make intelligent changes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Easy to go to a Physical therapist one time and your GTG.

This is what they told me  .
Go to Home Depot and buy a 1" thick Nylon rope  12' Long
sit on the floor carpeted place rope over the ball of foot with tennis shoes on . Lock your knee down , Back straight
Pull back on the rope pulling toes back with one hand  and lean forward to touch toes  on that one you are pulling back on .in a static hold for 30 sec

Switch leg and do the same .
You can also raise the one leg locked while doing same maneuver .
For hip flexors and or Tband s on the side of leg .

Get a firm foam roller 3or 4 " wide .
lay on floor and roll the hip flexors out on the roller
Same with the I-T Bands on the side of your leg .

if ou can do this once to twice e a day your GTG!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Train your ass hard!

Seriously.

Bird dogs
Hip circles
Super man's
Hip thrusts/glute bridge
Squats
Dead lifts
Lunges
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Stretch before your workout, then stretch after as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stretch before your workout, then stretch after as well.
View Quote

Before, not so much. Better to just do some warmup exercises before.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:14:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Stretch them

It will also make them stronger/longer and more flexible

I would also do more weight than just air squats.
View Quote

Yeah when I suggested air squats it was just as an activity (daily or a few times a day) to get blood flowing. Obviously you should be doing more weight on squat day.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:43:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Raise your hand if you can touch your toes.

Fuck'n "stretching" is really a hot button thing (maybe it's just me), I think it's just an American stigma for some reason.  Maybe it's impatience, our need to just get to it.

Sure, go find that study that said it reduces athletic output.  Sure it does, temporarily.  As in minutes.  Then go look at any successful international weightlifting program, yes, the drugs keep them lifting big, but the recovery methods keep them healthy.  What do they do before and after a session?

Or maybe it's just the definition.  Stretching vs. mobility.  Or is it static stretching vs. ballistic?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:08:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Work on hip mobility (shinbox drill, yoga for hips, spiderman stretch, and others).

Dont think of it as necessarily your hamstrings or hip flexors. They might be tight because they are protecting something else. That was my issue - tight flexors and hamstrings because my hips were arthritic. Hip resurfacing fixed me all up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Work on hip mobility (shinbox drill, yoga for hips, spiderman stretch, and others).

Dont think of it as necessarily your hamstrings or hip flexors. They might be tight because they are protecting something else. That was my issue - tight flexors and hamstrings because my hips were arthritic. Hip resurfacing fixed me all up.
View Quote

Good point I will get back to doing shinbox drills.

I am wondering what effect the kettlebell swing will have on them.  I want to work up to the 10,000kb swing challenge but I wanted to get the hip/hams back into mobility shape.

I thought maybe working some KB windmills and TGU's into the routine also.

P.S

I have noticed even my calves are getting tight from rowing - going to need to stretch them out also
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Thanks for the Video

I like a lot of his stretches - bookmarked to watch again
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Easy to go to a Physical therapist one time and your GTG.

This is what they told me  .
Go to Home Depot and buy a 1" thick Nylon rope  12' Long
sit on the floor carpeted place rope over the ball of foot with tennis shoes on . Lock your knee down , Back straight
Pull back on the rope pulling toes back with one hand  and lean forward to touch toes  on that one you are pulling back on .in a static hold for 30 sec

Switch leg and do the same .
You can also raise the one leg locked while doing same maneuver .
For hip flexors and or Tband s on the side of leg .

Get a firm foam roller 3or 4 " wide .
lay on floor and roll the hip flexors out on the roller
Same with the I-T Bands on the side of your leg .

if ou can do this once to twice e a day your GTG!
View Quote

Sad thing is I have 2 foam rollers floating around here somewhere - won them at work - never really used them, do they work well?

If so which youtube vids do you suggest?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Train your ass hard!

Seriously.

Bird dogs
Hip circles
Super man's
Hip thrusts/glute bridge
Squats
Dead lifts
Lunges
View Quote

Guy I work with pulled his groin tendon (supposedly runs near your hip flexor?) running and he as been doing glute bridges for his therapy - never thought about it but will give it a shot
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Warm ups prior, stretch after.
Add in single leg deadlift and definitely good mornings!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Look up Joe DeFranco's Limber 11, a warm-up/stretching routine focused on glutes and lower back.  

I do it before any squat, deadlift, oly or running workout.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Look up Joe DeFranco's Limber 11, a warm-up/stretching routine focused on glutes and lower back.  

I do it before any squat, deadlift, oly or running workout.
View Quote

Been doing the limber 11 tonight.

The ball on the glutes is killing me
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top