Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 4:03:10 PM EDT
What do you guys recommend for knee wraps/sleeves?  

something like this:

or this:

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Knee sleeves provide good support/warmth to the knees.

Wraps can be wrapped mildly for support and you can target specific points in the joint. Or you can wrap them more aggressively to provide extra pounds for your squat.

Goals dictate the gear. I overheat easily and my knees are healthy, so I tend to just use a mild wrap when I squat heavy if I feel like I need it. Most people just use sleeves.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends what your goals for sleeves are. I have 3 options depending on what I'm doing. What are you going to be doing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wraps can be wrapped mildly for support and you can target specific points in the joint. Or you can wrap them more aggressively to provide extra pounds for your squat.

Goals dictate the gear. I overheat easily and my knees are healthy, so I tend to just use a mild wrap when I squat heavy if I feel like I need it. Most people just use sleeves.
View Quote

Thanks...how do I know if I need them or if they would help?   I see people wearing them and wonder if I should be.  

I don't have knee pain and like you, I am not a cold person.  The gym thermostat is set at 64F this winter and I still workout in shorts and a t shirt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Look into an inzer leviathan. They feel really nice to wear and is great for just toning.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently picked up some of these. Far superior to the simple neoprene sleeves that are so popular. They work to warm my knees but also offer compression and support. I will wear them for most of my heavy lifts or sometimes throw them on after a run for the compression. Knees feel great afterwards.

I went one size down for what my size was based on the sizing chart because I wanted them tight. I would recommend the same. Oh, and customer service with that company is excellent!

http://www.liftinglarge.com/Black-Crusher-Knee-And-Elbow-Sleeves
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Rehband
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I started using Rehbands a while ago after I hurt my left knee.  They provide some warmth and support as one of the posters above suggested.  I work out in the morning and the gym is often cold, so overheating hasn't been an issue.  They also provide a little bit of padding, which is nice if you're doing anything that puts your knee on the floor (like lunges).
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look into an inzer leviathan. They feel really nice to wear and is great for just toning.
View Quote

My tone is a little off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My tone is a little off.
View Quote

My personal trainer says squats are bad for your knees.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks...how do I know if I need them or if they would help?   I see people wearing them and wonder if I should be.  

I don't have knee pain and like you, I am not a cold person.  The gym thermostat is set at 64F this winter and I still workout in shorts and a t shirt.
View Quote

If you aren't sure what you need/want knee sleeves are probably the best route. They are just easier to use. Rheband or whatever are a good go to, same with the slingshot knee sleeves. I have the tommy kono(I think?) and they are basically just rubber so they are good but uncomfortable as hell.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My personal trainer says squats are bad for your knees.
View Quote

You mean my Planet Fitness Coach.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rehband
View Quote

+1 Love mine!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1 Love mine!
View Quote

That's what I have. Keep my knees nice and warm.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. If I wrap ultra tight and properly, it will add over 10% to my squat.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My tone is a little off.
View Quote
'
LOL.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#16]
If you think you don't need them, just wait.

I finally got rehband sleeves when I started getting heavier on my clean and jerk and snatch. My knees started to get sore from going rock bottom. The sleeves really alleviated the soreness and now I wear them for the warmth even if I'm not programmed to oly lift on a given training day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I really  like the Mark Bell Strong Sleeves.  The thick ones not the light weight ones.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought some 7mm thick Evolution sleeves (same idea as Rehband, just a cheaper version) about a month ago. I really like them -- everything feels more stable, and my knees don't hurt as much after squatting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#19]
SBD Knee Sleeves. Love them. If you have large calves/quads go up a size or wear knee high socks to facilitate putting on.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#20]
How do I know if I need them?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#21]
the first one will keep warm and give support.  

the 2nd one I hate and had to learn to squat all over again trying to use them.  

2nd one is more for heavy lifting and competitive lifting.  

a good set of wraps used properly can add 100lbs to a squat.  The guys I know squatting around 650-700 right now wouldnt come close to that without wraps. They wouldnt even try because they know wraps are driving their numbers

a good set of wraps  used improperly can snap a hamstring.  

I use knee sleeves by lifting large.com and they have different "ply's" for their stuff.  I do my sets in the 400's and dont go too heavy anymore so these are good enough.

The wraps take some getting used to and can be a crutch for some.  Its also time consuming because you shouldnt/cant stay wrapped between sets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top