Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2017 10:14:19 PM EDT
Jogged the other night and ran across a couple stray dogs and some sketchy people hanging out in a park. I carry everyday but not while I jog so you can say the comfort level was not high. Curious to know what gear you all use while jogging? I'm a big guy (6' 4" 300) so I only jog about 2 miles at 6 mph (10-11 minute miles) at a time. Can carry a SW 642, M&P Shield, or a Glock 17 (preferred) or I can buy a new gun (always need a reason)!
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger lcrx. 38 special. In a crappy uncle Mikes holster tucked into my waistband. Works perfect, really don't even notice it.

Eta
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a 642 to run with

I normally run in cut off cammies and used to carry my normal m9a1 compact at 1oclock. I may go back.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I run with my 642 in a belly band.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I've occasionally tucked a P32 into a small waist pack if I've been somewhere slightly sketchy.  Probably not great for dogs though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've occasionally tucked a P32 into a small waist pack if I've been somewhere slightly sketchy.  Probably not great for dogs though.
View Quote

I bet if you plugged a dog with a .32 once or twice it wouldn't stick around very long.

I have a P32 and a P3AT, if I was someone that jogged or cycled I would get one of those elastic belly band deals and keep one of them in there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Usually if I'm going to go very far, like on my bicycle, I take pepper spray too for dogs.  Rural area and lots of farm dogs run loose.  I would cry like a little girl if I had to shoot someone's dog but I'll be damned if I'm going to get bit or worse either.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a HPG Runners Kit Bag. It allows me to keep my phone, wallet, a few dollars and a full size gun on me. It also keeps everything out of my pockets and away from my waistline, which I prefer while running. If you have a smaller gun(G19 or smaller), the snubby kit bag is about the perfect size. I've got close to 300 miles in with mine and I also use it for hunting, surveying (work), and other stuff. I run rural trails and roads so the "tactical" look of it is little concern. The snubby has a much lower signature to non firearm folks.

+1 for spray for dogs. The main reason I started carrying while running was a nasty dog bite. I'm pretty sure that had I had a gun that day I would have killed that dog, and had to deal with a pissed off owner on top of it. The guy seemed pissed at me that his dog left his property, closed a 40-50 yard gap and bit me square in the ass. I hard a hard time getting to provide vaccination records (thank God the thing had shots). Spray in that instance would have been the thing to have. The handgun is mainly reserved for two legged pests.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Snubby in belly band, spray in pocket.

Run with my Great Danes, I am more concerned about random dogs attacking mine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
How does your HPG snubby kit feel around your arms?  I've got their recon bag and the straps tend to rub on my inner arms as I hike around. I need to wear it over a small jacket to stop this....  I'd really like to try the runners kit and see if it's any better!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#11]

QFT
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

QFT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

QFT

Yep, that's what I use.

I used to use an old Coaxsher radio pouch and figured there had to be something more specialized for what I wanted.  The HPG Kit Bags are great.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
S&W 340pd or the like.  Sure it's expensive but this is GD.  If you can find a 342 get it.  ~11oz of uber reliability.  Otherwise consider a pocket 380, shoot it until you trust it or break it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How does your HPG snubby kit feel around your arms?  I've got their recon bag and the straps tend to rub on my inner arms as I hike around. I need to wear it over a small jacket to stop this....  I'd really like to try the runners kit and see if it's any better!
View Quote

I have the recon bag as well. I dont notice it, even with a t-shirt. The only time I've had a problem is when I've tried to use it shirtless
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use a HPG Runners Kit Bag.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
This.  Works great.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Smart Carry

That HPG looks legit though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This.  Works great.
View Quote

Awesome! Looks like the old 17 is going in one of these!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.  Works great.

Consider a Raven Vanguard or something similar.  It's a minimal kydex trigger guard cover/holster.  I have mine attached to the inside of the Kit Bag with a short lanyard.  It covers the trigger and when the pistol is yanked out the clip pops off and stays attached to the bag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
  Consider a Raven Vanguard or something similar.  It's a minimal kydex trigger guard cover/holster.  I have mine attached to the inside of the Kit Bag with a short lanyard.  It covers the trigger and when the pistol is yanked out the clip pops off and stays attached to the bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.  Works great.

I just use my AIWB holster. It has the strut clip, so I use a short piece off 550 in a loop to tie it off to the tab inside.This way I can unclip from my belt and secure it in the pack. I only keep one holster around this way. I have also put a strip of industrial hook velcro on the inside of the holster since there is a strip of loop in the handgun area, this keeps the gun secure and oriented in the right direction, however it wears away over time from being carried normally against the body.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I run with a glock 27 in a ankle holster that I strap around my weaksode wrist. Works awesome
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:13:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I sometimes do some distance running/biking in the desert and just throw my edc in a pocket in the camel back. That's really more for if a break my leg or something and have to fend off some yotes.

Usually if i'm just doing under 5k around my neighborhood i'll just take a knife. I've also just straped on my gun belt with iwb holster right over my shorts.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
J-frame in a fanny pack.  Anything heavier (glock 27) just feels weird.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#25]

This with a G26, phone, glow stick in case it gets dark on the way back
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had good results wearing a stiff belt under my running gear to hold my holster. A nylon/Velcro inner duty belt works great. The stiff belt seem to cut down on the gun flopping as much.

Running with a pistol sucks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I run with a glock 27 in a ankle holster that I strap around my weaksode wrist. Works awesome
View Quote
The idea of something that heavy off-center for very much running makes me a bit nervous because of the potential for injury. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#28]
We need an OFFICIAL, pinned, "How do you carry when running?" thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We need an OFFICIAL, pinned, "How do you carry when running?" thread.
View Quote

Agreed.  Surprisingly, it might be one of the most difficult problems to solve regarding EDC gear.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#30]
A fanny pouch or that chest rig mentioned in this thread would likely be best to keep sweat off the gun.

Only semblance of a close call I ever had was while running a boxer ran up from behind and put my entire right hand in his mouth and ran along side of me. He didn't bite down and just wanted to play. I suppose my swinging right hand looked tempting.

My gun was on my right hip, if I'd have needed it I'd have likely been in a bit of a bind.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I've ordered a Hill People Gear Runners kit bag.  Ended up with foliage green cause the grey and black are both sold out.  Not exactly what I was looking for but I usually run at night anyway.  Seems cheaper in the long run if it works rather than testing various holster/clothing combos instead.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

This is what I use. Works really well with my 9mm Shield, ID, and phone. Never tried a larger pistol but would probably be ok with a g19ish weight gun. It is a non pistol specific pouch/belly band and although it holds the pistol very securely, there is no stiff trigger guard. Probably a non issue for some but my fine motor skills degrade quickly when I am fatigued so I use one of the various clip on kydex trigger guards as an added measure of safety.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've ordered a Hill People Gear Runners kit bag.  Ended up with foliage green cause the grey and black are both sold out.  Not exactly what I was looking for but I usually run at night anyway.  Seems cheaper in the long run if it works rather than testing various holster/clothing combos instead.
View Quote

I dont think you will be disappointed. I use mine for other stuff also, so it makes the price a little easier to bear.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I've carried my CM9 IWB a few times, but honestly most of the time I carry a kabar tdi and hope I have enough juice left to outrun trouble

I think someone already posted it, but Hill People make some good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a little fanny pack that I use to carry keys, etc, it also will hold my LCP if I want to take a pistol along. Most of the potential problems I could run into would be animal related as I'm usually running country roads.

I do need to look into some kind of spray for dogs when I'm running in town. Anyone have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a little fanny pack that I use to carry keys, etc, it also will hold my LCP if I want to take a pistol along. Most of the potential problems I could run into would be animal related as I'm usually running country roads.

I do need to look into some kind of spray for dogs when I'm running in town. Anyone have any recommendations?
View Quote
Foxlabs.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Fox Labs&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a cheap keltec pf9 that I carry in a fanny pack, along with some fox and my id.  

Don't mind the keltec getting sweaty.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I use this 5.11 shirt with a S&W Bodyguard and forget that its even there with either a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt over it.  I have run up to around 13 miles with this setup with no problems.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#40]
No offense meant to poster, but that Hill People Runner's Kit Bag looks like ass.  No way does that work on a slim lifetime jogger.
The choices boil down to type of tight belly band or waist pack.   On jogging forums, the Nathan Gel Waist Pack by Nathan Performance Gear gets good remarks.
I use a simple elastic band around the middle chest with a Springfield Armory EMT in 9mm.  Works great for miles of jogging.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No offense meant to poster, but that Hill People Runner's Kit Bag looks like ass.  No way does that work on a slim lifetime jogger.
The choices boil down to type of tight belly band or waist pack.   On jogging forums, the Nathan Gel Waist Pack by Nathan Performance Gear gets good remarks.
I use a simple elastic band around the middle chest with a Springfield Armory EMT in 9mm.  Works great for miles of jogging.
View Quote

Figures, a lot of people here consider the physique of a slim lifetime jogger to look like ass .  The RKB is functional, although its appearance may not be for everyone. That item also has a lot more versatility for other uses in my life, that also may not be for everyone.  What you mentioned will most definitely get the job done, but its something that I had, tried, and moved on from.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I am thinking about the HPG, but how accessible is the gun?  It seems like having to unzip to get to it poses some delay.

I am also leaning towards a comfortac belly band.  Seems like it would be easier to lift the shirt with my off hand and draw than fumble with a zipper in an awkward place on my chest.  No experience, with either, which is why I am asking.

Will be carrying either a 340pd or a G43.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I've mountain biked with a gun, but I just can't do jogging with one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am thinking about the HPG, but how accessible is the gun?  It seems like having to unzip to get to it poses some delay.

I am also leaning towards a comfortac belly band.  Seems like it would be easier to lift the shirt with my off hand and draw than fumble with a zipper in an awkward place on my chest.  No experience, with either, which is why I am asking.

View Quote
I stage the zippers in the top right corner of the pack. On the timer, I'm about .75-1.0 second slower with the HPG with a G19 AIWB.  For very small guns, the advantage may not be there, but for anything subcompact and larger running with a pistol on my waistline with out a carry belt is a no-go.  Its also nice to keep your phone and wallet in the front compartment as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#45]
The  'HillPeopleGear'  is extremely CONSPICUOUS.

When weather is cool enough here to wear a shirt, the  Galco belly band works well enough.
  Anything over 60 degrees.....  Not enough clothes to hide  anything.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Hill people gear chest pouch
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#47]
The time is past to apear unarmed
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I wear a De Santis belly band.  It puts my pistol slightly out of my normal aiwb carry position, but I hardly notice it while I'm running.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you want to speed up the draw with the HPG kit bag you can leave the one side open (depending on your handedness).  For me I think it's quicker than an OWB under a rain shell or light jacket.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Sub 2000 wrapped in a long sleeve tshirt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top