Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2016 11:08:59 AM EDT
About 3 weeks ago I started 5x5 and have been following it closely.  However, I'm experiencing, I think, reduced shoulder mobility.  It's getting harder and harder for me to get my arms on the bar for squats in the low back position.  The warm up set is almost painful, but by the 4th and 5th set I am loosened up and ready.

This is new.  My shoulders/arms had no issues gripping the same bar in the same rack 3 weeks ago, so Im hoping this just means that I'm adding muscle that needs to be stretched.

What exercises can I do to get past this?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Go on Youtube and search for shoulder mobility exercises. I've found Alan Thrall's (Train Untamed) and Athlean-X's videos with bands and lacrosse balls (respectively) to be helpful.

I have a messed up left shoulder from an old high school football injury, and it too takes me a bit to loosen up, and requires extra maintenance on off days.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I got this alot as well it eventually just sorted itself out. I grip real narrow on the bar for squats and it hurt no matter what I did. Eventually it stopped. I would also recommend looking at shoulder mobility exercises.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So what causes this?

I guess I'll just do more exercise.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You ask GD?

Get some wraps.  Also you could try a safety squat bar.

Eta thought this was in gd, which would have gotten great results
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what causes this?

I guess I'll just do more exercise.
View Quote

I couldnt tell you, it just appeared for me out of the blue and went away just as it came.
Are you new into the program or been at it a while?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I couldnt tell you, it just appeared for me out of the blue and went away just as it came.
Are you new into the program or been at it a while?
View Quote

New.  I started 12/13 and it's the first time I've picked up a bar since '02.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

New.  I started 12/13 and it's the first time I've picked up a bar since '02.
View Quote

I was relatively new into stronglifts when mine started as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Post a video of you squatting. And let's go from there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Also, my shoulders get sore while squatting if I don't warm them up first. Not stretching, but warm them up with light weight for the various shoulder raises and also do things like arm circles.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Easy, do these...

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll see if I can get a vid in the AM.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get 2 views. Side and rear to the side.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#14]

This man knows.

These stretches saved both me and my wife.  Great for getting mobility back that years of not lifting and stretching has lost.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can do.

This training has a purpose- finish a CW.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can do.

This training has a purpose- finish a CW.
View Quote

Go ride an exercise bike set in the cardio range 3 or 4 times a week for 20 minutes. This will help you greatly.

FYI this is not to lose weight.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Overhead squats.

It's a great exercise in and of itself, but it will require you to develop some shoulder flexibility.

It took me about a month when I first started to be able to do it well with just with the bar because I couldn't get my shoulders back far enough.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
https://youtu.be/jaMlQFxSjcc

https://youtu.be/MXT3j6PqByg
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#19]
You can try widening your grip some.  That weight looked way too light.  Maybe up the weight some and you won't feel your shoulders so much.  And up the sandwiches.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya, I have bird legs.

How'd the form look?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ya, I have bird legs.

How'd the form look?
View Quote

Awful!!!!

Fix this shit right here.
Attachment Attached File

Your grip is wrong for low bar. Make it look like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
two suggestions

1.  never walk backward to rack weights, you can get seriously injured doing this
2.  point your elbows down, you are pointing them back
View Quote

In low bar you point them back and down.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ya, I have bird legs.

How'd the form look?
View Quote

I'm not a coach or anything.  But, again you're moving the weight really quickly.  Under heavier load, you need to take a big breath and brace, slow it down.  It's hard to tell when you're moving so quickly under such light weight.  You may want to point your toes forward.  Eventually you'll need some better shoes for squatting, or do it without your running shoes on.  Your back looks straight, depth is pretty close to parallel.

You might try ditching the shoes, practice taking a big breath at the top then go down and pause for 3 seconds at the bottom, then raise up.  Let your ass start the movement up, just by a millisecond.  As you go up in weight, you will start to feel the right technique.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Damn.  Looking at it like that it does look bad.  Ill correct it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I got lots of good tips and ideas from this video...

How to Squat Max Aita Style with Mark Bell
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Damn.  Looking at it like that it does look bad.  Ill correct it.
View Quote

Break at the hips. Not the back.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm not a coach or anything.  But, again you're moving the weight really quickly.  Under heavier load, you need to take a big breath and brace, slow it down.  It's hard to tell when you're moving so quickly under such light weight.  You may want to point your toes forward.  Eventually you'll need some better shoes for squatting, or do it without your running shoes on.  Your back looks straight, depth is pretty close to parallel.

You might try ditching the shoes, practice taking a big breath at the top then go down and pause for 3 seconds at the bottom, then raise up.  Let your ass start the movement up, just by a millisecond.  As you go up in weight, you will start to feel the right technique.
View Quote
The weight is really low, was 85# total, but that's what 5x5 called for and I've been sticking to it and why I'm moving so quickly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#29]
To echo what others have said...
NEVER walk back to rack the bar.
Dont dive bomb those squats, I know its low weight but do not dive bomb. I hurt my back doing that and its real easy to do. Slow down, control the weight.
Also your back and hips need to come up at the same rate, push back into the bar like you are fighting to stand up with your back as you push with your legs.
Dont bend forward to try and get depth. depth comes from ankles, kness and hips.
You want your energy to go into the bar, not into hips then into back to move the bar.
Here are some things to think when you squat.
Big Chest! - this will help with your back rounding. Stick that chest out like superman. It will also help you maintain upright position.
I put a water bottle or something on the floor a few feet in front of me so my eyes can focus it. I dont want to look up or down necessarily this helps keep it neutral.
Slow way down and maintain control of the weight the whole time.
Take a deep breath and stay tight as hell and dont let it out at the bottom.
sit in your chair right now and take the deepest breath you can, hold it a sec, let it out and watch what your shoulders and back do. If you do this at the bottom your done when the weight gets heavier.

find youtube videos to help, allan thrall has great stuff on it all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#30]
ha some of those reps are pretty ugly, but not as ugly as mine when I first started!

good news is that you are doing a great program, and if you stick with it YOU WILL SEE MAJOR RESULTS.

just keep at it, lifting, watching videos, correcting form, and it will all come together.  being self taught just takes a little while, and you are doing the right things to learn.

also I would just keep adding the 5 pounds as the program says, even though it is light right now, that lets you get your form figured out more and more before it gets heavy.

just wait a year after you have added 20 pounds of mass to your frame, you'll be a new man.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To echo what others have said...
NEVER walk back to rack the bar. Double never ever. Ever.
Dont dive bomb those squats, I know its low weight but do not dive bomb. I hurt my back doing that and its real easy to do. Slow down, control the weight.
Also your back and hips need to come up at the same rate, push back into the bar like you are fighting to stand up with your back as you push with your legs. This doesn't seem to be an issue. And that cue can create more issues right now. Unless you're seeing something I'm not.
Dont bend forward to try and get depth. depth comes from ankles, kness and hips. But make sure you lean over enough to keep the bar over mid foot.
You want your energy to go into the bar, not into hips then into back to move the bar. Drive with the hips. The back should be a solid lever between the hips and the bar. Any flexion wastes energy and dramatically increases the chance for injury.
Here are some things to think when you squat.
Big Chest! - this will help with your back rounding. Stick that chest out like superman. It will also help you maintain upright position. Straighten wrists via hand position and elbow position, squeeze shoulder blades together, rotate elbows down to get a big chest.
I put a water bottle or something on the floor a few feet in front of me so my eyes can focus it. I dont want to look up or down necessarily this helps keep it neutral. Absolutely this. Fix your head position.
Slow way down and maintain control of the weight the whole time.
Take a deep breath and stay tight as hell and dont let it out at the bottom. Tightness cannot be overstated.
sit in your chair right now and take the deepest breath you can, hold it a sec, let it out and watch what your shoulders and back do. If you do this at the bottom your done when the weight gets heavier. Good example. Understand that your chest should rise when you take the big breath vs your belly exapanding.

find youtube videos to help, allan thrall has great stuff on it all.
View Quote

I started with this since he provided the most cues. I tried to clarify so you know how things like "big chest" can be achieved.

Also, think knees out on the way down and when you drive up.

Stop squatting in running shoes. Squat shoes are best if you plan to stick with it, but hard, flat-soled shoes like chucks can be used.

You might try to put 2-1/2 lb or 5 lb plates under your heels. Especially helpful if you wear flat-soles shoes.

You could also get an online coach. Some Starting Strength coaches are now offering services online. Even Alan Thrall is using one and he's got a fantastic grasp of the movements.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I started with this since he provided the most cues. I tried to clarify so you know how things like "big chest" can be achieved.

Also, think knees out on the way down and when you drive up.

Stop squatting in running shoes. Squat shoes are best if you plan to stick with it, but hard, flat-soled shoes like chucks can be used.

You might try to put 2-1/2 lb or 5 lb plates under your heels. Especially helpful if you wear flat-soles shoes.

You could also get an online coach. Some Starting Strength coaches are now offering services online. Even Alan Thrall is using one and he's got a fantastic grasp of the movements.
View Quote

Thanks for adding to my post! :)
I didnt necissarily see anything that made me think he would need to push back into the bar but id bet if he tossed some 45's on there he may have even more rounded back, going forward than he does now. Just figured he may as well get into that habit now was all. :)
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the replies!

I'll be back at it Monday evening so I'll let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Safety squat bar
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Knees are folding in.  That will happen on heavy squats some degree, but if you can do a few reps; like you did in the vid, then your knees shouldn't be collapsing.  

When you back out and get set, screw your legs into the ground.  Feel flat, weight on the entire flat foot, screw each leg outwards to activate all the muscles in the hams and glutes.

And yes; you have chicken legs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I can make those changes.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#39]
That is super awful angle to see what's going on on your back.  I can't see your hands. It looks like you have your shoulders rolled backwards under the bar or something. Those shoes are awful to squat in.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Shoes feel great, what makes them bad?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shoes feel great, what makes them bad?
View Quote

Are the lifting shoes?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Are the lifting shoes?
View Quote
That's a thing?  

They're Metcon 2's.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's a thing?  

They're Metcon 2's.
View Quote

Not super awful. I thought they were running shoes.  Yes there are lifting shoes. They help on high bar and front squat along with all Olympic lifts. Low bar they aren't as important.  

Take a better video of your back. You know, the place where you are having pain.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not super awful. I thought they were running shoes.  Yes there are lifting shoes. They help on high bar and front squat along with all Olympic lifts. Low bar they aren't as important.  

Take a better video of your back. You know, the place where you are having pain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a thing?  

They're Metcon 2's.

I just started using some cheap lifting shoes I got last week online (Adidas Powerlift something or other). Made a significant difference in my form.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pain is gone.  Did some of the shoulder mobility stuff posted about and it helped loosen me up.

I posted back in here more for form tips.  I'll get a better vid of that next time I can.

Thanks yall!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top