Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/18/2016 10:05:45 PM EDT
Three young kids and work 50+ hours a week. I'm a "skinny fat guy" as some might put it- you know, someone with noodle arms who looks like he ate a watermelon whole. 6' 190 pounds. I don't have access to measuring BF percentage or otherwise I would share. I'm not looking to get into powerlifting or anything of that sort- just overall better health and Lord willing a better physique along with that. My wife works hard on her diet and exercise plan, so I figure it's time for me to return the favor for the both of us. I came up with a workout plan that has some weightlifting and cardio. I know, I know- I should use some proven program,  but it's ok. I'm sure it will be adequate. Just wanted to share so hopefully some of you guys will hold me accountable. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for you for starting.  Report back on your progress.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Good on you for making up your mind to make some changes.

But please, listen to us guys who have 5 kids and a busy life and was skinny fat as well....do a linear progression barbell program.

It is simply the most effective way to change your body composition from skinny fat to more muscle and leaner.  

Would you rather invest your time and effort in something and get a 20% return, or invest the same amount of time and get double or triple the return?  Cause that is what we are taking about.

The difference between going to the gym and "lifting" random weights for random sets and reps and doing some "cardio" and a proper barbell program is literally NIGHT AND DAY.

And that is just the body composition part, not even getting into the health benefits of strength training with hormone response, bones, tendons, etc.  

We are talking lifting three times a week for 45 min to an hour, probably less than you are already thinking you are going to do.

Please trust us on this.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good on you for making up your mind to make some changes.

But please, listen to us guys who have 5 kids and a busy life and was skinny fat as well....do a linear progression barbell program.

It is simply the most effective way to change your body composition from skinny fat to more muscle and leaner.  

Would you rather invest your time and effort in something and get a 20% return, or invest the same amount of time and get double or triple the return?  Cause that is what we are taking about.

The difference between going to the gym and "lifting" random weights for random sets and reps and doing some "cardio" and a proper barbell program is literally NIGHT AND DAY.

And that is just the body composition part, not even getting into the health benefits of strength training with hormone response, bones, tendons, etc.  

We are talking lifting three times a week for 45 min to an hour, probably less than you are already thinking you are going to do.

Please trust us on this.
View Quote

Do what he say!!!  Do what he say!!

Seriously, he's pointing you towards a much better long term success rate.  you'll have a lot of success if you don't worry as much about jumping jacks and running and start picking stuff up and putting it down.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm certainly open to suggestions; however, some things I can't change. I'll be working out in our basement which has a bench, dumbbells, pull up bar, dip station, treadmill, and exercise bike. Also, if in say 6 months my BP hasn't improved, in going to reassess my plan and focus as that is one of the biggest concerns to me right now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm certainly open to suggestions; however, some things I can't change. I'll be working out in our basement which has a bench, dumbbells, pull up bar, dip station, treadmill, and exercise bike. Also, if in say 6 months my BP hasn't improved, in going to reassess my plan and focus as that is one of the biggest concerns to me right now.
View Quote

The equipment you listed in your basement will suffice just fine. Like the above stated, a weight lifting plan is what you seek. Lift weights for different muscle groups and add in some cardio and you will see results.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are pretty much there, just need to add some squat stands or a squat rack.  

If I were you id run starting strength or the 5x5 program lifting 3 times a week, then twice a week I would do HIIT on your exercise bike.  HIIT being warm up for 5 minutes on the bike, then do 7 sets of 20 seconds max effort on the bike, followed by 1:40 of slow pedaling to recover, repeated 7 times.  

In three months your results would be dramatic, especially if you can eat even somewhat decent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
First week of my lifestyle modification completed. Diet has been a little cleaner than what I normally eat. I've incorporated more meat and vegetables while limiting the amount of sweets I would routinely have. Exercise regimen so far has just been light weight reps just to avoid injury until my body becomes accustomed to heavier stress. Again, I won't be going for max single reps or anything like that. I'll be sticking with a program that allots 8-12 reps per set. I've seen way too many things in healthcare from heavy lifting that I would like to try and avoid. No one should take offense to that as it's just my personal decision. Each day I've also finished my time with walking on the treadmill for 15 minutes 12% grade 3mph. Today was an off day for lifting but I did 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill anyway. Hopefully I can keep the ball rolling.

ETA: I'll try to update weekly for awhile then switch to monthly once I'm full committed. Thanks for the comments. You guys are great.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Good on you for wanting to change.
I did the same thing, you can check out my "getting myself in shape" thread.
I got a half rack and 300 lbs and a barbell. I do all the big lifts here at home in the basement.
My advice is start with stronglifts 5x5 and STRICTLY learn proper form, I would even go as far as to say, obsess over it.
Film often and check yourself.
Eat to match your goals. If you are working on muscle gain eat all the protein.
Don't even worry about losing weight for a bit, it will all kind of balance out as you go anyhow.
Just make the whole thing a priority and give each workout your all.
If you are supposed to work out and don't feel like it go anyhow. Those have been some of my best days.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Battling a cold this week, but I've decided to continue exercising since I'm still not lifting heavier weight just yet. Here's a glimpse at what I've chosen to do. Again my focus is on overall health, building stamina, etc. Lifting heavy weight and focusing on increasing my one rep max isn't my mainstay at this point in my life. All weighted exercises are done with adjustable dumbbells as that's all that is available to me. I've also opted for Fat Gripz on the Ironmaster dumbbells I have. At first I thought it was just a marketing scheme, but I'm a believer so far. Great forearm workout and really improves grip strength. All weightlifting days include 15 minutes of uphill treadmill walking at the end of the workout. I'm aiming for 8-12 repetitions on my heaviest weight sets. I start at about 60% for warm up for one set then move to desired weight.

Day 1- Bench Press, Incline Press, Decline Press, Tricep Kickback
Day 2- Squats, Lunges, Step Ups, Sumo Squats, and Calf Raises
Day 3- Weighted Crunches, Standing Side Crunches, Increased Cardio Workout
Day 4- Deadlift, Dumbbell Pullover, Chin-ups and Pull-ups, Bent Row, and Bicep Curl
Day 5- Shoulder Press, Upright Row, Underhand Press, Dumbbell Shrugs, Dumbbell Front and Lateral Raises
Day 6- 30 minute uphill treadmill walking
Day 7- Rest

I'm planning to following this for 6 weeks until my body becomes accustomed to working out again. Muscle soreness is always an issue for me when I first start a workout regiment. After 6 weeks, I'm hoping to switch to 6 days of weightlifting and 1 day cardio. I'll keep the crucial exercises as my main point of focus, get rid of ab day, and switch out accessory workouts every other time. Example:

Day 1- Bench Press, Incline Press, Decline Press, Dips, Tricep Kickback
Day 2- Remains the same as leg day above
Day 3-Deadlift, Bent Row, Chin-ups, Bicep Curl, Shoulder Press, Upright Row, Lateral Raises
Day 4- Bench Press, Inlcine Press, Decline Press, Partial Chest Flies, Weighted Crunches
Day 5- Repeat  Day 2
Day 6- Deadlift, Bent Row, Pull-ups, Shoulder Press, Upright Row, Dumbbell Shrug
Day 7- HIIT cardio

The second phase may need some adjusting, but I'm content with the first phase thus far. Maintain diet below(simplified to the max):

Breakfast- eggs, protein shake, fruit
Protein snack
Lunch- meat, vegetables
Protein snack
Dinner- meat, vegetables
Workout followed by post-workout snack
Protein shake before bed

Diet is a stumbling point for me mainly because of access to food during work. Depending on the day I may not have time to eat for 6+ hours at a time. Thankfully that's somewhat rare. Thanks for reading and will continue to report back.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sorry OP for being a dick I'm usually not like this.  

Dick mode [on].

For your stated goals the program you are doing is stupid, silly, almost worthless bullshit.  

The quote "you don't know what you don't know" is applicable.

You'll make some minor progress for a couple months at best, only due to being a completely detrained novice.

Then progress will mostly stop, you'll say man this sucks I'm not seeing results anymore and you'll end up quitting.

You may stick to diet and cardio and lose some fat but you'll just be a skinnier version of you current self.

I really wish someone would have told me what I'm telling you 15 years ago.

5x5 or starting strength.  ANYTHING OTHER THAN SOMETHING SIMILIAR TO THOSE PROGRAMS IS VASTLY LESS OPTIMAL FOR A NOVICE.  

By all means do your light weight bazillion rep with 14 different exercises per muscle 6 day a week program.  Keep us posted on how your joints feel.

Dick mode [off]

Sorry to be a dick.

ETA if you want me to delete this post and not crap in your thread let me know.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm sorry OP for being a dick I'm usually not like this.  

Dick mode [on].

For your stated goals the program you are doing is stupid, silly, almost worthless bullshit.  

The quote "you don't know what you don't know" is applicable.

You'll make some minor progress for a couple months at best, only due to being a completely detrained novice.

Then progress will mostly stop, you'll say man this sucks I'm not seeing results anymore and you'll end up quitting.

You may stick to diet and cardio and lose some fat but you'll just be a skinnier version of you current self.

I really wish someone would have told me what I'm telling you 15 years ago.

5x5 or starting strength.  ANYTHING OTHER THAN SOMETHING SIMILIAR TO THOSE PROGRAMS IS VASTLY LESS OPTIMAL FOR A NOVICE.  

By all means do your light weight bazillion rep with 14 different exercises per muscle 6 day a week program.  Keep us posted on how your joints feel.

Dick mode [off]

Sorry to be a dick.

ETA if you want me to delete this post and not crap in your thread let me know.
View Quote

I welcome constructive criticism. Reviewing it again, there are days where some muscle groups might become overworked/fatigued. I'll adjust accordingly. I'm not sure I understand the lack of gains though. If I start hitting a wall and can't increase reps or weight, there are ways to overcome that, right? Dropping the weight for more reps, increasing weight and doing a slow, more controlled rep for more muscle recruitment, etc. My plan was for a 6 week rotation with a 2 week change up to help avoid hitting a wall- whether it be figuring out ORM during the 2 week period or swapping exercises to perform supersets and build stamina. I'm just not sure I see how gains won't occur. I'm looking for more info from you if you don't mind. Thanks for the comment. I really do appreciate you reaching out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I welcome constructive criticism. Reviewing it again, there are days where some muscle groups might become overworked/fatigued. I'll adjust accordingly. I'm not sure I understand the lack of gains though. If I start hitting a wall and can't increase reps or weight, there are ways to overcome that, right? Dropping the weight for more reps, increasing weight and doing a slow, more controlled rep for more muscle recruitment, etc. My plan was for a 6 week rotation with a 2 week change up to help avoid hitting a wall- whether it be figuring out ORM during the 2 week period or swapping exercises to perform supersets and build stamina. I'm just not sure I see how gains won't occur. I'm looking for more info from you if you don't mind. Thanks for the comment. I really do appreciate you reaching out.
View Quote

He is saying you are trying get to reinvent the wheel. It's been invented. And your wheel sucks in comparison.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He is saying you are trying get to reinvent the wheel. It's been invented. And your wheel sucks in comparison.
View Quote

Thank God I don't have self-esteem issues. Haha. I guess it's my background, but I'm a "Why/why not?" type of guy. If you don't mind providing an argument as to the major flaws it would be appreciated. I'm trying to do some research on the 5x5 programs and it seems like results are great for strength training for very specific exercises and overall muscle mass gain. The big three don't necessarily target every muscle or even every aspect of each muscle (take triceps for example). Am I putting too much thought into this?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank God I don't have self-esteem issues. Haha. I guess it's my background, but I'm a "Why/why not?" type of guy. If you don't mind providing an argument as to the major flaws it would be appreciated. I'm trying to do some research on the 5x5 programs and it seems like results are great for strength training for very specific exercises and overall muscle mass gain. The big three don't necessarily target every muscle or even every aspect of each muscle (take triceps for example). Am I putting too much thought into this?
View Quote

Yes you are putting too much thought into it.

Right now you are very weak. There are 15 year old girls that warm up with your max lifts.

You want the beast bag for your buck. So you do compound lifts.  Your body works in muscle chains. So you do those lifts and they will work every muscle in that chain.

You don't think bench press and shoulder press work triceps?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 to all the advice from others above.

I would recommend running Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or 5/3/1. All are good programs and all of them will work IF you follow the program specifically. Read the book(s), follow the directions, and don't add or subtract things as you see fit.
Also make sure to get sleep, eat well, and manage stress as best as possible.

A time tested barbell program with consistency, and proper nutrition is probably the best thing anyone can do to have a favorable impact to body composition.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, it's actually just as simple as 'you're wrong'.  

Lets look at the two main points in this statement that are wrong-

it seems like results are great for strength training for very specific exercises and overall muscle mass gain

first, make up your mind.  You mention 'specific exercises' and 'overall'.  Is it specific or overall?  the answer of course is that the basic compound lifts are the most UNspecific, and that the reason the new lifter should start with them.  Think of the deadlift.  Are you using your feet/calves for the lift?  Yes.  Are you using you hands/forearms?  Yes.  Are you using everything in between them?  Yes.  If the deadlift is working every muscle as a team effort with the similar muscles around it, then not only is a specific muscle being developed, but it's also working in conjunction with the important muscles around it.

The big three don't necessarily target every muscle or even every aspect of each muscle (take triceps for example)

Now in those terms think of the overhead press (standing, none of this sitting or reclining BS).  You are again working not only the arms/shoulders, but every muscle required in the core of your body, legs, balance, control and coordination in order to lift something heavy overhead.  At some point you may reach a point where your limiting factor is the tricep, but that's down the road.  Right now if you specifically train your tricep when the rest of your system is new and untested, you are going to create imbalances that may cause injury.  So you continue to bench press and overhead press until you find a specific aspect that is limiting you, and get over that bump in the method that causes the most muscle development and the lease isolation possible.  Really- the LEAST ISOLATION possible.  

Tris seem to be an aspect people want to work on, especially in stupid ways like kick-backs.  The tri is actually three muscles (duh) and kick-backs are only training a single movement of the THREE movements the tri is designed to do.  Please watch this vid, not just for the instruction on how to do this exercise, but please pay attention to the fact that the best training is the one that trains the body to work as a system, not in isolation.

The Lying Triceps Extension with Mark Rippetoe

Do body builders work with isolation exercises?  Yes, but #1- they have a good strength base and #2- they only isolate where they need to.  compound lifts are still the king.  Will you get everything you need our of compound lifts?  for the most part, yes.  Eventually (as I mentioned) you'll find an imbalance somewhere, but wait until it's an actual imbalance.  Working the larger muscle groups will lead you to great gains and create an anabolic response in even you smaller muscles you didn't focus on.  This is what you want for now, you're setting yourself up for injury and getting stalled out fast by working small muscles that don't need significant stimulation.  Work the big muscles hardest, that means squats, deads, OHP and bench.

Link Posted: 12/27/2016 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes you are putting too much thought into it.

Right now you are very weak. There are 15 year old girls that warm up with your max lifts.

You want the beast bag for your buck. So you do compound lifts.  Your body works in muscle chains. So you do those lifts and they will work every muscle in that chain.

You don't think bench press and shoulder press work triceps?
View Quote

Truth on the 15 year old girl reference. My reference in regards to triceps was this: three heads to the triceps (long, medial, and lateral). I could be wrong as this is purely from memory,  but a standard Bench Press doesn't hit your lateral head all that well unless you do a close grip bench press. No big deal in the grand scheme of things I suppose. So with that, disregard my discussion about it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Truth on the 15 year old girl reference. My reference in regards to triceps was this: three heads to the triceps (long, medial, and lateral). I could be wrong as this is purely from memory,  but a standard Bench Press doesn't hit your lateral head all that well unless you do a close grip bench press. No big deal in the grand scheme of things I suppose. So with that, disregard my discussion about it.
View Quote

The best thing you can do is a program until it stops working.

Then realize you aren't eating right.

Start eating right and continue the program eating right.

Right now you can pretty much eat the same way you are as long as you add about a 75 gram protein shake to your daily intake. And you will see good results.

Eventually you will have to learn to eat correctly.

And you also must realize everything you see on TV about diet and exercise is a lie to get you to buy product X or product P or product 90.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#19]
OP here are some thoughts that might answer your questions, might be a bit random.

Your body is an organism and it adapts to stress.  

When you do the large compound barbell movements you are able to apply a lot of stress to your body.  A lot of stress to your entire system, not just individual muscles like you are doing now.  

When you apply the stress to your body, and eat enough protein and carbs to recover, and get enough sleep, your body will adapt to that stress and get stronger.  Everything from your muscles, to your bones, ligaments, tendons, cardiovascular tissue.

the premise behind the programs we are talking about are based on adding specific doses of stress to your system, administered by adding more weight to the bar each time you train.

Monday you squat 135 pounds for 3 sets of 5 reps.  (3x5x135)

Wednesday you do the same thing, 3 sets of 5 reps, but this time you do 140 pounds.  (3x5x140)

Friday, you do....guess what?  3x5x145

Each time you are stressing the body as a SYSTEM...not small muscle groups at a time.

the body's response to that type of stress is much greater than to individual muscles.

You follow that type of programming with the big 4 compound movements, adding weight each time over time, doing the same 3 sets of 5...and guess what?  Over the course of several months you will get a lot bigger and stronger, and drop quite a bit of body fat.  Your arms and legs will be bigger than they have ever been, without doing curls and tricep kickers.  

And has been stated, when you reach the point where you can't add anymore weight doing 3x5, then you switch to something like 5/3/1...then knock yourself out with all the assistance lifts you want, the curls, tricep work, etc.  

I was just like you, a nice 210 pounds, 6 foot 3 skinny fat dad of 5 kids.  Nice little belly, no muscle mass in upper body, little girl legs.  Back hurt all the time.  

Now I am still a little chubby, but I weigh 230 pounds and don't even look like the same person.  My back never hurts (turns out I was just weak, like you are).  

Add 20 pounds of muscle to your body and you will be amazed at the difference it makes in the way you look at feel, and how you can pick your kids up like they are rag dolls, toss the wife around like a man (if you know what I mean) and on and on.  

we are not even going to get into the science behind ,muscle mass, insulin resistance, aging, etc.  All of which is related to strength training, and the most efficient way to strength train is with barbells being the center of your program.

Hope that help, I haven't proof read this we are trying to head to a movie!!

See I am normally not a dick!  

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#20]
http://startingstrength.com/article/programming/deep_squats

I love this paragraph:

It would be easier to do a new PR on a different leg machine,” you think. “Maybe I’ll try to max out the Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Leg Press today. That’s hard, they say. Then Friday I’ll fry the shit out of my quads on the Linear Hack Press. Monday it’ll be the Squat High Pull machine, Wednesday the V-Squat, and then I’ll just cycle through the leg circuit, maxing out a new one every time. Yeah! FUCK yeah! That’ll be better anyway, muscle confusion, conjugate method, all that shit. More variety means better gains, I’ve heard.”

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 4:02:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://startingstrength.com/article/programming/deep_squats

I love this paragraph:

It would be easier to do a new PR on a different leg machine,” you think. “Maybe I’ll try to max out the Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Leg Press today. That’s hard, they say. Then Friday I’ll fry the shit out of my quads on the Linear Hack Press. Monday it’ll be the Squat High Pull machine, Wednesday the V-Squat, and then I’ll just cycle through the leg circuit, maxing out a new one every time. Yeah! FUCK yeah! That’ll be better anyway, muscle confusion, conjugate method, all that shit. More variety means better gains, I’ve heard.”
View Quote

I see that guy at Planet Fitness all the time.

He also does quarter squats with 95#s in the Smith machine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the info above. Compound exercises are my main focus and the latter exercises I named with my initial plan were for accessories. I'll look up some plans online over the next few weeks.

I ended up having to take a few days off due to a cold/sinus infection. Had a good workout today aside from the fact that I'm terrible on the pull-up bar. Truly a pathetic sight to see. Hopefully that will change in the next few months.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:32:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Another week completed. Not the best start off for getting in shape considering I was sick for a week and just got a vasectomy yesterday. I expecting the boys should be sore over the weekend, but I'm really hoping to get back down to business by Monday. I've really taken to heart some of the suggestions that have been provided. I'm still keeping the split body routine but will be making sure I focus on compound exercises to start off each workout. I'm going to cut down a few exercises and eliminate the treadmill at the end of each day. Abs will be moved to my cardio day. New workout plan is something like this.
Monday- DB Bench Press (also Incline/Decline), Dips, Skull Crushers, Chest Flies
Tuesday- Squats, Lunges, DB Step Ups, Calves
Wednesday- Deadlifts, Pull-ups, DB Pullover, Bent Row, Bicep Curl or some variation
Thursday- DB Overhead Press, Upright Row, DB Shrug Superset, Lateral and Front Raises
Friday- Abs and HIIT cardio
Saturday- Undecided but debating on doing a few compounds (i.e. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Pull-ups)
Sunday- Well deserved rest day

Still not 5/3/1 but again more focus on practical compound movements. I finally got a barbell and plate set this week that I used as a power rack just arrived yesterday so I can set up for more legitimate squats. For most exercises I'll still be sticking to 3 sets at 10 reps before I add weight.

ETA: Particularly underdeveloped muscles of mine include biceps (hence the reason for the curls), pecs (hence more exercises), and hamstrings. My hamstrings are TIGHT which puts a lot of stress on my lower back. I was born with a fused L4/L5/sacrum, so naturally this limits my range of motion. If general leg workouts aren't enough to loosen and strengthen my hamstrings, I'll swap and do more hamstring dominant exercises (Romanian deadlifts, Good Mornings, etc.).
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#25]
You really shouldn't do deadlifts the next day after squats. They use most of the same muscles and you won't get the benefit of recovery. It would be better to do then on same day than one day after another. Both not the best option.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You really shouldn't do deadlifts the next day after squats. They use most of the same muscles and you won't get the benefit of recovery. It would be better to do then on same day than one day after another. Both not the best option.
View Quote

Good call Kaik. That was an oversight on my part. I'll have to adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Another week completed. Not the best start off for getting in shape considering I was sick for a week and just got a vasectomy yesterday. I expecting the boys should be sore over the weekend, but I'm really hoping to get back down to business by Monday. I've really taken to heart some of the suggestions that have been provided. I'm still keeping the split body routine but will be making sure I focus on compound exercises to start off each workout. I'm going to cut down a few exercises and eliminate the treadmill at the end of each day. Abs will be moved to my cardio day. New workout plan is something like this.
Monday- DB Bench Press (also Incline/Decline), Dips, Skull Crushers, Chest Flies
Tuesday- Squats, Lunges, DB Step Ups, Calves
Wednesday- Deadlifts, Pull-ups, DB Pullover, Bent Row, Bicep Curl or some variation
Thursday- DB Overhead Press, Upright Row, DB Shrug Superset, Lateral and Front Raises
Friday- Abs and HIIT cardio
Saturday- Undecided but debating on doing a few compounds (i.e. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Pull-ups)
Sunday- Well deserved rest day

Still not 5/3/1 but again more focus on practical compound movements. I finally got a barbell and plate set this week that I used as a power rack just arrived yesterday so I can set up for more legitimate squats. For most exercises I'll still be sticking to 3 sets at 10 reps before I add weight.

ETA: Particularly underdeveloped muscles of mine include biceps (hence the reason for the curls), pecs (hence more exercises), and hamstrings. My hamstrings are TIGHT which puts a lot of stress on my lower back. I was born with a fused L4/L5/sacrum, so naturally this limits my range of motion. If general leg workouts aren't enough to loosen and strengthen my hamstrings, I'll swap and do more hamstring dominant exercises (Romanian deadlifts, Good Mornings, etc.).
View Quote

Why do novices insist on over-complicating things? Too much crap!

Squats to depth and deads are more than adequate to loosen and strengthen your hams. Bench and press are more than adequate for your pecs. Chins are more than adequate for your arms.

If you want to get better at exercising, carry on.

If you want to build muscle and strength (not necessarily get huge) then use a proven program such as SS or SL 5x5. I prefer SS.

With sound programming, you will look and feel totally different in 3-4 months. With mediocre programming...who knows...
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why do novices insist on over-complicating things? Too much crap!

Squats to depth and deads are more than adequate to loosen and strengthen your hams. Bench and press are more than adequate for your pecs. Chins are more than adequate for your arms.

If you want to get better at exercising, carry on.

If you want to build muscle and strength (not necessarily get huge) then use a proven program such as SS or SL 5x5. I prefer SS.

With sound programming, you will look and feel totally different in 3-4 months. With mediocre programming...who knows...
View Quote

Cause they are noobs. And see all the ads trying to sell them something.

I tell people what finally made me strong after being a noob and doing all the wrong shit. But they don't listen.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cause they are noobs. And see all the ads trying to sell them something.

I tell people what finally made me strong after being a noob and doing all the wrong shit. But they don't listen.
View Quote

I was going to let this slide but just couldn't let you jump to conclusions- my wife does enough of that for me. Exercising is literally the only time I have alone during the day that I have ability to do what I want. I try to keep it fun for myself- do exercises I enjoy, come up with my own ineffective plan, etc. Honestly that's fun to me. I completely understand there are programs out there that will work far better than what I've threw together for building strength and/or muscle. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel like others have stated- just trying to enjoy life, get healthy, and have some encouragement and good conversation along the way. If you knew me, I of all people don't succumb to any advertisements. I'm a skeptic at heart. Hoping I didn't offend anyone since I enjoy conversing and genuinely look forward to seeing replies in this thread. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was going to let this slide but just couldn't let you jump to conclusions- my wife does enough of that for me. Exercising is literally the only time I have alone during the day that I have ability to do what I want. I try to keep it fun for myself- do exercises I enjoy, come up with my own ineffective plan, etc. Honestly that's fun to me. I completely understand there are programs out there that will work far better than what I've threw together for building strength and/or muscle. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel like others have stated- just trying to enjoy life, get healthy, and have some encouragement and good conversation along the way. If you knew me, I of all people don't succumb to any advertisements. I'm a skeptic at heart. Hoping I didn't offend anyone since I enjoy conversing and genuinely look forward to seeing replies in this thread. Thanks guys.
View Quote

You do what you want. But when you wonder why you can't deadlift, squat and bench much reference back to what we said.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You do what you want. But when you wonder why you can't deadlift, squat and bench much reference back to what we said.
View Quote

Understood. At least you can't say you didn't tell me so. Realistically, I could see trying to attain PRs of the big three as a main focus down the road. I'm just not at that point right now. I'll support you doing it however!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#32]
These threads always go the same way
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL. It's funny isn't it? And the threads where people listen keep going for a long time and they see results and keep working out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

LOL. It's funny isn't it? And the threads where people listen keep going for a long time and they see results and keep working out.
View Quote

Yeah, I mean I appreciate that advice, but I read in muscle and fitness that I need to do 5 different accessory lifts to hit all three heads of my tricep for maximum tone.

So it's off to the gym for some more crunchs, leg machines, and hammer curls.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, I mean I appreciate that advice, but I read in muscle and fitness that I need to do 5 different accessory lifts to hit all three heads of my tricep for maximum tone.

So it's off to the gym for some more crunchs, leg machines, and hammer curls.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's not quite as funny is that some people here are so focused on lifting as much weight as possible in deadlift, squat, and bench press, that they ridicule anybody who doesn't want to focus on lifting as much weight as possible in deadlift, squat, and bench press.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What's not quite as funny is that some people here are so focused on lifting as much weight as possible in deadlift, squat, and bench press, that they ridicule anybody who doesn't want to focus on lifting as much weight as possible in deadlift, squat, and bench press.
View Quote

Just when I was thinking there was no hope left for humanity, you came along. Thanks for restoring my faith.

I guess I'll continue to post here. My intent for the thread was for motivation not discouragement. I'm a big boy. I can take criticism and jabs, but if that's all this is attracting- it's just bringing me down. No hard feelings guys. Just not what I was hoping for.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Crossfit Football/Johnnywod.  It can be done in a normal gym.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just when I was thinking there was no hope left for humanity, you came along. Thanks for restoring my faith.

I guess I'll continue to post here. My intent for the thread was for motivation not discouragement. I'm a big boy. I can take criticism and jabs, but if that's all this is attracting- it's just bringing me down. No hard feelings guys. Just not what I was hoping for.
View Quote

You're welcome. The way I see it, you are taking action to improve your well-being, and if it pleases you to do your own personally-developed, workout routine(s), why not.  You may be more likely to stick with workouts you enjoy, than programs which do not interest you.  Besides, you can always switch to one of the established programs later on.

That's sort of what I did. For the last year and a half I did my own thing. Then, for the new year I started StrongLifts 5x5 (well, a highly modified version of SL 5x5, that is, since I'm unable to do the program as written) to see if it produces any better results.

I wish you success. And try not to let some of the guys here bring you down. Even though they are rigid and intolerant, they really do mean well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's because I see this same thread by different people year after year.

And it's not about lifting as much weight as possible it's about actually doing a program that will give you results with an actual progression. Instead of just going to the gym and throwing some random amount of weight on the bar and doing some random amount of reps.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I hear you. FWIW, I keep a logbook of weight, sets, and reps. I'm regimented in that aspect-do the same thing every week and either go up in reps and/or weight if I'm comfortable enough.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#42]
My post was not intended to pile on or discourage. You stated your initial state and your goals. You asked for accountability. You received feedback from very knowledgeable people...who have direct experience...on how to get from where you are, to where you want to be. That's accountability. Sure, it might not make you feel good...at first. But rest assured that these assholes (me included) want you to succeed.

The reason novice programs such as Starting Strength and Strong Lifts 5x5 are recommended are because of their effectiveness in building muscle. Muscle (even under fat) looks better than just fat. They are not about getting huge and strong. But they provide a solid, proven foundation for getting huge and strong...if that's your goals. Of course, you don't want to get huge and strong. That's ok. These programs also build the foundation for the physical changes you say you desire.

Also note, that taking encouragement and advice from just anyone is risky. Some people in life (and here) have zero experience in accomplishing what you desire. So they may provide "affirmation"...but it's founded in lies.

You talk about being "skinny fat". I've been there. I used to be 125 lbs at 5'11". I used to work out religiously following similar programs as you put together with less than desirable results. I finally discovered Starting Strength and learned how to actually gain strength and muscle. This took me to 175-185 lbs. I was much stronger and felt better physically and emotionally. It was other programs, such as Madcow and 5/3/1 (and its variants) that have pushed me to the body weight (215) and strength numbers I have today.

So that's the reason I recommend Starting Strength.

TL;DR Starting Strength doesn't make you massive. It's not about numbers and PRs unless you want it to be.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I empathize with you, since I hear Alzheimer's and dementia patients repeat things they say, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year.
I just doubt that indulging in sarcasm and ridicule is an especially effective way to convince newbs they should try a different method than what they plan to do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I empathize with you, since I hear Alzheimer's and dementia patients repeat things they say, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year.
I just doubt that indulging in sarcasm and ridicule is an especially effective way to convince newbs they should try a different method than what they plan to do.
View Quote

You would be wrong. Sarcasm and ridicule are some of the best motivation there is. It's called peer pressure.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My post was not intended to pile on or discourage. You stated your initial state and your goals. You asked for accountability. You received feedback from very knowledgeable people...who have direct experience...on how to get from where you are, to where you want to be. That's accountability.
View Quote

That's not accountability. That's meddling. The OP clearly stated he had a workout plan that he intended to follow even though he was aware of existing programs, and did not request either criticism or suggestions for better alternatives.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You would be wrong. Sarcasm and ridicule are some of the best motivation there is. It's called peer pressure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Only the weak-willed, immature, and insecure allow their decisions to be made by peer pressure.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

LOL. Only the immature and insecure allow their decisions to be made by peer pressure.
View Quote

Please stay on the original topic. This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Please stay on the original topic. This isn't GD.
View Quote

You're right, this isn't GD. Subjecting someone to ridicule because they do not choose to heed advice -- particularly unsolicited and unwanted advice -- is inappropriate.
And this is not the first time that I've seen a newcomer remark about being discouraged by such needlessly antagonistic comments from some of the individuals here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're right, this isn't GD. Subjecting someone to ridicule because they do not choose to heed advice -- particularly unsolicited and unwanted advice -- is inappropriate.
And this is not the first time that I've seen a newcomer remark about being discouraged by such needlessly antagonistic comments from some of the individuals here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wrong again. He came for advice and we are giving it. He may not like it.

LOL. Only the weak-willed, immature, and insecure allow their decisions to be made by peer pressure.

You just described most of America.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top