Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 12:11:56 AM EDT
My daughter's first birthday is this Saturday, which means the one year anniversary of my last regular day of lifting. Up until then I had been working the Stronglifts program with pretty good progress. However, my wife and I work thirds shift opposite of each other (she's MTW nights, I'm Th-Sun.) So, with the baby and practically being single parents, I couldn't make it to my gym.

So since then I have felt like garbage. I packed on weight, my back problems got worse, and I was REALLY missing the stress release of it. So, I brought the gym home. Got a power rack, bar and enough weight to get started back up. Also went to Tractor Supply and got a couple 3/4" stall mats.

Trying Starting Strength this time. I was pleasantly surprised with where I was with my deads, squats were okay, and bench sucked as usual.
SQ: 205#, feel I could easily add 20# more for the set.
BP: 135#, again could add 20#.
DL: 305#, love deads.

My short term goal is to get back to 175# body weight, which is about where I've been at at my healthiest while still gaining strength. The second short term goal is to be able to do a 2/3/4.

Longer term, I'd like to be capable of a 3/4/5 and maintain a body fat % below 15%.

One thing I think will be beneficial is to keep this thread updated and post progress. Any advice is welcome.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Thumbs up!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah idk how anyone goes to the gym home gym for the win
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I just told my friend that same thing. I don't know how people have time for it if it isn't right at or near where they work.

Travel, waiting for equipment, travel again, it seems like would take 2 hours to do a 45 minute workout
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
That's exactly it. The only time I have is when my daughter naps, an hour if I'm lucky. So generally enough time, but it's tight.

Smoked myself today with shovels with the EZ bar, KB swings, burpees and some soccer ball drills. Between yesterday and today, the lower back is awakened again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's exactly it. The only time I have is when my daughter naps, an hour if I'm lucky. So generally enough time, but it's tight.

Smoked myself today with shovels with the EZ bar, KB swings, burpees and some soccer ball drills. Between yesterday and today, the lower back is awakened again.
View Quote

Why are you screwing around with dumb lifts and exercises if you're trying to be efficient with your time?  

Squats
Deads
Bench
Overhead press (standing)
Rows

Get smoked and get strong in 30-45 minutes a day.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
As I said, I'm already doing the main lifts you listed. These were just something quick and fun to do on my off day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a shovel? Do you use a real shovel?

If you want to shovel I have some stone and coal that needs to be moved...come on over.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you want to shovel I have some stone and coal that needs to be moved...come on over.
View Quote

Something to try out. Just put a player on one end of the EZ bar and did full range simulating digging over top of the far four and then using the core to "throw" it up over the opposite shoulder. Just like digging a hole.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Something to try out. Just put a player on one end of the EZ bar and did full range simulating digging over top of the far four and then using the core to "throw" it up over the opposite shoulder. Just like digging a hole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a great way to throw out your back.

With a real shovel there is resistance on the push, stopping that scoop motion mid air and changing direction can't be good for it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:32:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats OP for not being retarded and doing it right.  

You mentioned back hurting again.  That same thing happens to me if I take time off.

Oh and don't worry about that SCW guy, he doesn't even lift.

ETA how tall are you?  Unless you're  short you need to weigh more than 175!  IMO
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congrats OP for not being retarded and doing it right.  

You mentioned back hurting again.  That same thing happens to me if I take time off.

Oh and don't worry about that SCW guy, he doesn't even lift.

ETA how tall are you?  Unless you're  short you need to weigh more than 175!  IMO
View Quote

I'm 509. I'd agree, I'd love to weigh 195+, just not in fat.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I just told my friend that same thing. I don't know how people have time for it if it isn't right at or near where they work.

Travel, waiting for equipment, travel again, it seems like would take 2 hours to do a 45 minute workout
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I go at 4a.m. it's usually me and the same two other guys. Sometimes just me. After work is crazy busy but most of it is hot ass women doing cardio and light weights so I go then sometimes too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Got back in town today. Ate like garbage.

Squat:215
Press:95
Cleans:135----Brand new to these.

Feeling pretty okay.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]
If you have back problems, doing weighted twisty things to the spine is really retarded.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Today

Squat:225
Bench:145
Deads:315

Felt good, cleaning up the diet as I go. Anyone have some go-to recipes that can be cooked in bulk?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Today

Felt good, cleaning up the diet as I go. Anyone have some go-to recipes that can be cooked in bulk?
View Quote

Ground beef(the fat ratio depends on your nutrition goals, i've been using 90/10) - all the pounds you can eat before it goes bad
bag of frozen peas and carrots(or whatever vegetable you like)
can of diced tomatoes
salt/pepper/whatever other seasonings you like

Season the beef and start browning it on high heat. Once the first side gets a little char add everything else to the pot.

You can do the same thing with diced chicken breasts and/or thighs.

Add some cheese if it fits your goals.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Today

View Quote

Lunch is as follows.  Giant bag of Jasmine rice.  About 3 cups per week.  Any schmuck can cook rice.  I add butter and cilantro in my rice.  No other sauces or nonsense.
21 chicken drumsticks per week.  Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder.  Throw in the oven and bake at about 400deg for about 40 min.  
Stir fry onions, bell peppers and carrots for veggies.  Lunch is the only thing that I make bulk for the week.  Prep for the whole week takes only about 1.5 hours from start to putting in containers and in the fridge.

Breakfast is egg whites scrambled with about 1/4 to 1/3 pound of ground beef, spinach, mushrooms and a little bit of cheese.  Salsa on top.  About 15 minutes to make.

Post workout is whey protein with milk, creatine and this superfood grass powder blend thing that I forget the brand of.

Dinner varies, but is usually some sort of meat, fish or bird with some sort of veggies and occasionally potatoes, either regular or sweet.

Between dinner and bed time is either peanut butter and banana or cottage cheese and honey.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lunch is as follows.  Giant bag of Jasmine rice.  About 3 cups per week.  Any schmuck can cook rice.  I add butter and cilantro in my rice.  No other sauces or nonsense.
21 chicken drumsticks per week.  Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder.  Throw in the oven and bake at about 400deg for about 40 min.  
Stir fry onions, bell peppers and carrots for veggies.  Lunch is the only thing that I make bulk for the week.  Prep for the whole week takes only about 1.5 hours from start to putting in containers and in the fridge.

Breakfast is egg whites scrambled with about 1/4 to 1/3 pound of ground beef, spinach, mushrooms and a little bit of cheese.  Salsa on top.  About 15 minutes to make.

Post workout is whey protein with milk, creatine and this superfood grass powder blend thing that I forget the brand of.

Dinner varies, but is usually some sort of meat, fish or bird with some sort of veggies and occasionally potatoes, either regular or sweet.

Between dinner and bed time is either peanut butter and banana or cottage cheese and honey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Today

Why just egg whites? The yolks are good for ya
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Honest answer - I'm too retarded to crack eggs without getting bits of shells into scramble.  It's the one culinary skill that has completely eluded me.  Might as well be astrophysics.  So my stupid ass has to buy egg whites in a carton.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Honest answer - I'm too retarded to crack eggs without getting bits of shells into scramble.  It's the one culinary skill that has completely eluded me.  Might as well be astrophysics.  So my stupid ass has to buy egg whites in a carton.
View Quote

Crack eggs on the flat surface of a counter, not on an edge.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you can get whole eggs in a carton like that too, at least thats what we would use back in boy scouts so we didnt have to crack a few hundred eggs every day at summer camp.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Still feeling good. All lifts are gaining 10#/session. Forgot how I love the overall feeling all day having been lifting.

The only issue right now, and it started about six months ago, is my ankles and the top of my feet. They are fine working out but if I sit for a while and get up, it takes a few steps before the soreness goes away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top