Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 1:46:18 PM EDT
Wondering what everyone thinks and or does? With getting back into heavy weightlifting, skwats, deads, benches, standing shoulder press...I find myself flip flopping on what I prefer.

This weekend I was benching and held my breath for the first four reps of a five rep heavy set. I find that if I take the time to exhale\inhale, I seem to loose the rhythm of what could be a good set. My wife looked at me crazy while stating..."Did you hold your breath for the whole set?"

Squats as well. I want to hold my breath to keep that intra abdomimal pressure but I also don't want to pass out or get an aneurysm.

Anyways,  what says you? Do you take short breaths, hold your breath for anything under say three reps or do you do it for more or do you take large gulping breaths between reps?

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the lift. Big air stabilzes the core and helps.  I was told by a cardiologist the tha vasalva trick wasnt healthy long term.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I always hold breath. I breathe between reps though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't lift heavy, compared to the folks here, but I hold for 2 reps, pause exhale/inhale,repeat
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Need air to perform maximally. If you are going so heavy you feel like you are going to lose too much tightness breathing, there is nothing wrong with sticking to singles and doubles. If you can't maintain tightness at weights quite a bit off from your max and breath, you need to learn how to breath correctly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I do too.  Hold my breath to keep my core tight, breathe between reps, usually at lockout.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to hold my breath while straining.  I started having a problem with occasional nosebleeds with heavy deads and squats, so I changed that.

I now very slightly exhale continuously while straining.  I am guessing, but think that the lack of complete valsalva type pressure helped curb the nosebleeds.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Inhale on the negative exhale on the exertion. I'll sometimes hold breath a little bit at the bottom of the exertion before exhaling.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Go ahead and hold your breath......

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Inhale on the negative exhale on the exertion. I'll sometimes hold breath a little bit at the bottom of the exertion before exhaling.
View Quote

That.  Exactly.  I have done the valsalva and caused nose bleeds and even a brain fluid leak once.  That was a bit scary.  Now I keep pressure in the belly but not in the head.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Great responses gentlemen. Greatly appreciated. I guess for me it depends on the lift. I will take a breath in between reps on deads and squats but on heavy bench, anything under 5 reps, I tend to hold my breath. Might try to get in more oxygen there to see if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great responses gentlemen. Greatly appreciated. I guess for me it depends on the lift. I will take a breath in between reps on deads and squats but on heavy bench, anything under 5 reps, I tend to hold my breath. Might try to get in more oxygen there to see if it makes a difference.
View Quote

I will hyperventilate a bit before a lift, especially if I'm trying to do a couple of reps heavy.  I figure I still take a short breath at the top (of a squat, for example) but they aren't really good breaths while I'm still wearing the weight.  Hyperventilating keeps me from getting behind as quickly.

Or maybe it just feels good.  Who knows.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

No need to hold your breath in between reps.  It's simple.  There's only one way to do this.  You fit all the breath in your body in that you can fit.  Then you fit in more.  You stay solid like a soda can throughout the lift.  Period.  The only time you hold your breath longer than necessary is in activities such as strongman events, where many times you have no choice.  That is never necessary on basic lifts.  I agree with Bud also that sometimes letting a little out as you complete the rep can alleviate issues such as being light headed, nose bleeds and headaches.  If your head isn't about to explode, you're not doing it right, or you're not using enough weight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No need to hold your breath in between reps.  It's simple.  There's only one way to do this.  You fit all the breath in your body in that you can fit.  Then you fit in more.  You stay solid like a soda can throughout the lift.  Period.  The only time you hold your breath longer than necessary is in activities such as strongman events, where many times you have no choice.  That is never necessary on basic lifts.  I agree with Bud also that sometimes letting a little out as you complete the rep can alleviate issues such as being light headed, nose bleeds and headaches.  If your head isn't about to explode, you're not doing it right, or you're not using enough weight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I will hyperventilate a bit before a lift, especially if I'm trying to do a couple of reps heavy.  I figure I still take a short breath at the top (of a squat, for example) but they aren't really good breaths while I'm still wearing the weight.  Hyperventilating keeps me from getting behind as quickly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i do this before a set too hyperventilate and also a bit of a variation on Michelle Jenneke's warmup dance, kind of puts some extra blood in the muscles and helps the fast twitch muscle response.

of course i am certainly not a competitive power lifter or strong man or anything, i just lift weights cause it's one of the best exercises you can do and bigger muscles burn more fat.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#15]

This is a pretty good article on it, for deads and squats, yeah, butt......
http://70sbig.com/blog/2010/09/black-out/

Passing out from a clean is usually bar position affecting blood flow, catch it too far back or let your delts collapse and it's lights out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Christain Anto...(not sure if he's a competitive powerlifter)...gives a great analogy here about breathing during lifts. Makes sense...

The breathing ballon analogy is around the 5 minute mark...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0SJjNuYbXw&t=0s
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/know-when-to-hold-it-how-to-breathe-while-lifting.html

short article on it,
basically lifting near max hold through the rep but not through your whole set
average lift breath normally
high  blood pressure or cardiac patients hum or breath through pursed lips breath holding is bad
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#19]

You posted 3 where it went bad.

If I wanted to, I could post thousands- literally THOUSANDS of examples where it went fine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If I wanted to, I could post thousands- literally THOUSANDS of examples where it went fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep. Plus the two guys in the deadlift videos weren't even pulling much, so their experience/fitness/strength/health levels are questionable at best. The guy cleaning looked like he was breathing, so that's not what cause that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep. Plus the two guys in the deadlift videos weren't even pulling much, so their experience/fitness/strength/health levels are questionable at best. The guy cleaning looked like he was breathing, so that's not what cause that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. He probably held his breath in the initial pull, but you're right- he's breathing before he passed out. As Tanren said above, he likely has the bar too far back into his neck and cut off circulation. It happens.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I like to bang out as many reps on one breath as possible.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's how you die. You probably shouldn't do that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't tell me how to die.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Good video. I tend to let a little out right before lock out on bench and squat.

I guess its time to nix that shit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, that is an excellent video. I like his squat tips videos as well.

Quoted:

Good video. I tend to let a little out right before lock out on bench and squat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I try not to breath while I'm moving, but if I end up grunting air out on the way up (e.g. heavy squat or deadlift) i'll suck in a little air at the top and make sure I'm pressurized before going back down.

My Chiropractor has some good info on this subject HERE.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top