Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2016 8:24:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
mixed grip or double overhand?

I'm just talking a wild assed guess here, but if mixed grip, it's possible you annoyed/ripped/made angry your biceps on that side.   that's right where the bicep attaches.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds a great deal like a proximal biceps tendon problem.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I've pulled a rib out of place doing heavy rack pulls.  Sort of felt pain in that general area and you couldn't pinpoint it.  At least that was what I was told I probably did.  Pulled something.  It went away in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds a great deal like a proximal biceps tendon problem.
View Quote

High probability that this is it. The mixed grip is somewhat controversial because the supinated side can stress the biceps. Really strong guys will sometimes get complete tears in the area. The danger can be somewhat mitigated by making sure the biceps on that side is not flexed. Flexing the triceps on that arm is a useful cue.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I get what feels like a really horrible cramp there on my supinated side when I've been going heavy for a while. It scared me the first time but seems to go back to normal quickly. Like by the next week when I piss it off again. I have so many weird pains that come and go I really don't give it much thought until it sticks around for a while.. thanks to this thread I have something else to worry about.

Hopefully yours goes away quickly like mine. I have a hard time believing you'd tear something at this stage but good luck with it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Few things intersect there, have seen guys doing heavy dreads injured with mixed grip from either not realizing arm was slightly bent or not having their shoulder in proper position.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotta keep those arms long.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Mixed

Right hand palm away from body, left towards
View Quote
I always switch up my mix grip. 1 pull with right hand supine then switch for the next rep.  Key to not tearing the bicep tendon is to relax the arms (grip tight but relax the arms). Nobody can curl 400lbs. your arms are just to hold the weight.  The only times I've had pain in my arms while doing deads is when I've been slightly flexing them during the lift.

Also, its a good idea to mix your grip up so you build evenly.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#12]
With my shoulder all fukt the way it is I have stopped mix grip altogether. Double overhand hook until my thumbs bleed. I'd be tempted to do mixed for a comp but I can feel a difference in that whole side of my body, and double overhand works better for my sport anyway.

So.

Yeah.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

this sounds like good advice.  thanks

this is my 2nd week of not doing DL.  and i can tell its almost completely healed,   if i am 100% i will start back up again next friday.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mixed

Right hand palm away from body, left towards
I always switch up my mix grip. 1 pull with right hand supine then switch for the next rep.  Key to not tearing the bicep tendon is to relax the arms (grip tight but relax the arms). Nobody can curl 400lbs. your arms are just to hold the weight.  The only times I've had pain in my arms while doing deads is when I've been slightly flexing them during the lift.
Also, its a good idea to mix your grip up so you build evenly.

this sounds like good advice.  thanks

this is my 2nd week of not doing DL.  and i can tell its almost completely healed,   if i am 100% i will start back up again next friday.

I know a lot of people are rabid fans of mixed grip, but the possibility of a complete tear just isn't worth it to me. I'd say moving forward you should really work that grip strength and move to overhand with straps. I use straps on my heavy sets of deadlifts and nothing else. Most will say straps create a weaker grip over time, which is true, but only using them for heavy deads isn't going to hurt anything IMHO, especially for me since I work a lot of weighted pullups and farmer carries without straps.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
With my shoulder all fukt the way it is I have stopped mix grip altogether. Double overhand hook until my thumbs bleed. I'd be tempted to do mixed for a comp but I can feel a difference in that whole side of my body, and double overhand works better for my sport anyway.

So.

Yeah.
View Quote

Tape brah, tape
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Tape brah, tape

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So.

Yeah.

Tape brah, tape

I tape if I'm going heavy or doing oly after. Otherwise, how am I gonna toughen up my thumbs? Gotta rawdog it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#16]
My reoccurring problem seems to be my lower back muscles. I got heavy and I'm down for about a week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My reoccurring problem seems to be my lower back muscles. I got heavy and I'm down for about a week.
View Quote

Some common issues for lower back pain from deads are the bar is too far away or your hips/glutes aren't firing early enough. If you aren't getting racing stripes up your shins, the bar is too far away and stressing the lower back more than it needs to. I notice that if I activate my hips/glutes late(above my knees) I'll get lower back soreness. If the hips fire when they are supposed to, just below or in transition over the knee, it keeps you more upright and prevents you from doing a good morning. It also keeps you from over doing the lockout and leaning back instead of just being upright.

Sumo is also an option depending on build, the more upright position keeps stress off the lower back.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Some common issues for lower back pain from deads are the bar is too far away or your hips/glutes aren't firing early enough. If you aren't getting racing stripes up your shins, the bar is too far away and stressing the lower back more than it needs to. I notice that if I activate my hips/glutes late(above my knees) I'll get lower back soreness. If the hips fire when they are supposed to, just below or in transition over the knee, it keeps you more upright and prevents you from doing a good morning. It also keeps you from over doing the lockout and leaning back instead of just being upright.

Sumo is also an option depending on build, the more upright position keeps stress off the lower back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  I've noticed occasional soreness on deadlifts, some days it tears me up and other days no so much.  I'll pay attention to this and see if I can refine my lift.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

anytime my lower back is sore,  it was when i was not in the" butt down chest up position "

it meant my butt wasn't low enough for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  I've noticed occasional soreness on deadlifts, some days it tears me up and other days no so much.  I'll pay attention to this and see if I can refine my lift.

anytime my lower back is sore,  it was when i was not in the" butt down chest up position "

it meant my butt wasn't low enough for me

I've been doing straight-legged deadlifts for the last few weeks, so I was expecting to have some pretty sore erectors.  Instead they were tired, but some days tore up and other days just tired.

Will be transitioning to std deadlifts (albeit with a 6" deficit still) on Thursday.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys for the advice. It also doesnt help I'm 6'1'' and have short arms.

Ive also noticed the pain is also present when I OHP. Seated press with dumbbells I wouldnt say I'm super strong but pressing the 100s is fairly easy. Standing up my back fucking hurts with 135 on the bar. Again, same muscles...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ive also noticed the pain is also present when I OHP. Seated press with dumbbells I wouldnt say I'm super strong but pressing the 100s is fairly easy. Standing up my back fucking hurts with 135 on the bar. Again, same muscles...
View Quote

Do you have anterior pelvic tilt? It can cause you to pinch your lower back.  You may also be leaning kind of far back instead of standing in an athletic stance.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do you have anterior pelvic tilt? It can cause you to pinch your lower back.  You may also be leaning kind of far back instead of standing in an athletic stance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that i know of but hell i might. I'm curious and wondering if even shoulder mobility has anything to do with it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Just coming off a DL injury- but mine is the lower lumbar region. Ortho Doc said that's the most seen injury due to lifting that they deal with.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's your spinal erectors screaming.

Valsalva helps but remember to breathe several times between reps unless you want to auger in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Valsalva helps but remember to breathe several times between reps unless you want to auger in.

One arm deadlift while pinching my nose and blowing like a balloon?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hold your breath till you reach the top.  You want to put pressure on your diaphragm to reinforce your core.  Stop thinking SCUBA.

https://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/is-the-valsalva-maneuver-safe-and-effective
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One arm deadlift while pinching my nose and blowing like a balloon?

Hold your breath till you reach the top.  You want to put pressure on your diaphragm to reinforce your core.  Stop thinking SCUBA.

https://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/is-the-valsalva-maneuver-safe-and-effective

Thanks! I tried some accessory lifts yesterday to try and getting my lower back to free up but it just seems to hurt more. It hurt so much 70s on the dumbbell OHP hurt. Maybe I need to take it easy and foam roll the shit out of myself for a few weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top