Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2016 9:07:40 AM EDT
I need to stabilize my blood sugar.

I want to stay around 1,200 cal a day.

I am focusing on my fat, protein, and carbs macros.
Right now I am trying for > 45 g  carbs  15% of my daily

135 g  protein     45%

53 g  fat           40%
I'm new to using macros.
Diagnosed as severe non diabetic hypoglycemic by my primary doctor. I'm checking my blood sugar through out the day. Eating every 2 hours.

I have a doctor appointment on the 19th with an endo.
Help me arf!

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple of questions.

Why are you limiting your caloric intake?

Why are you eating so much protien?

So, I understand your stated goal is to lower blood sugar, but I don't understand how your stated macros achieve that.

Sorry if I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A couple of questions.

So, I understand your stated goal is to lower blood sugar, but I don't understand how your stated macros achieve that.

View Quote
I don't wanna gain weight. ( Possible I will be eating for two very soon) If that happens, The cal count will go out the the window.

Protein is good for you?

Goal is not to lower my blood sugar, but to keep it stable. It crashes. Goes low. My body doesn't know to turn off the insulin.

I don't think I know what I'm doing. I just want my blood sugar to stay above 70.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, I would ask that question or research it more on a site dedicated to folks with the same medical condition. Aside from the medical condition that I've never had to deal with and can't speak to, I like your macro percentages. That is basically the same profile as I use when I am cutting and works very well for me.

Why are your calories so low? What's your age, sex, weight?

Edit, looks like you answered some of the questions as I was writing my response.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Honestly, I would ask that question or research it more on a site dedicated to folks with the same medical condition. Aside from the medical condition that I've never had to deal with and can't speak to, I like your macro percentages. That is basically the same profile as I use when I am cutting and works very well for me.

Edit, looks like you answered some of the questions as I was writing my response.
View Quote
There is not a lot out there for non diabetics that experience hypoglycemia. I am aware sometimes when I crash. Sometimes I'm not. Last week when I tested my sugar during the day and got a 40. That was an oh crap moment.

I didn't think my calories were low. I will be 30 this month. I am 5footone. Female. I go between 115 and 120.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't wanna gain weight. ( Possible I will be eating for two very soon) If that happens, The cal count will go out the the window.
Protein is good for you?
Goal is not to lower my blood sugar, but to keep it stable. It crashes. Goes low. My body doesn't know to turn off the insulin.
I don't think I know what I'm doing. I just want my blood sugar to stay above 70.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A couple of questions.

Protein is good for you?

You may want to look into ketosis. Since it really keeps insulin under control.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Protein is good for you?

View Quote

I think I'm too far out of my lane here.

You need experts.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is not a lot out there for non diabetics that experience hypoglycemia. I am aware sometimes when I crash. Sometimes I'm not. Last week when I tested my sugar during the day and got a 40. That was an oh crap moment.

I didn't think my calories were low. I will be 30 this month. I am 5footone. Female. I go between 115 and 120.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For your size your calories aren't too far off  if you are inactive. If you work out regularly then I would like move that up to around the 1500+ mark. As for the "eating for two" idea, I would strongly recommend doing some reading on that. An increase in calories is not required during pregnancy only during breast feeding. The common myth of upping calories during pregnancy is largely blamed for the onset of diabetes during pregnancy and can cause later health issues in the child.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You need experts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Protein is good for you?

You need experts.
I'm going to the endocrinologist on the 19th. Hopefully I will get some answers then. But until then I have to do something. Have to.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I plugged your numbers into the bodybuilding.com BMR calculator and it came up with 1,322 calories a day. If you aren't familiar with BMR, basal metabolic rate, it is basically how many calories your body needs to survive and maintain itself just existing(not accounting for activity). Everyone is a little different, unless you are broken then you may be quite different, so the number changes. This number is used as a starting point for building a nutrition plan by adding in calories accounting for activity.

At 1,200 calories a day you will basically put your body into "oh shit store everything" mode. How long have you been this low for calories? What is your activity level? Do you even lift()?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For your size your calories aren't too far off  if you are inactive. If you work out regularly then I would like move that up to around the 1500+ mark. As for the "eating for two" idea, I would strongly recommend doing some reading on that. An increase in calories is not required during pregnancy only during breast feeding. The common myth of upping calories during pregnancy is largely blamed for the onset of diabetes during pregnancy and can cause later health issues in the child.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't work out. I would like to. My day starts at 5am, have an hour commute to and from work, pick up the 2 year old, day doesn't stop until she is in bed around 8pm. By that time I just want to crawl in the bed.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I plugged your numbers into the bodybuilding.com BMR calculator and it came up with 1,322 calories a day. If you aren't familiar with BMR, basal metabolic rate, it is basically how many calories your body needs to survive and maintain itself just existing(not accounting for activity). Everyone is a little different, unless you are broken then you may be quite different, so the number changes. This number is used as a starting point for building a nutrition plan by adding in calories accounting for activity.

At 1,200 calories a day you will basically put your body into "oh shit store everything" mode. How long have you been this low for calories? What is your activity level? Do you even lift()?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sit behind a desk very little. I go into two different classrooms for second grade. Then I come home to a 2 year old. That is my activity.

Been doing this low cal for a few months to shed some pounds.

Hubs wants me to start bjj.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I sit behind a desk very little. I go into two different classrooms for second grade. Then I come home to a 2 year old. That is my activity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did the hypoglycemia start? After you went so low with calories?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

When did the hypoglycemia start? After you went so low with calories?
View Quote
Nope. It started early spring of 2015. I wasn't watching what I was eating at all. I started to not being able to function after lunch. Barely making it home and crashing on the bed. I was having textbook diabetes symptoms. Having to pee a lot. My vision started to have weird problems. Major brain fog. Not being able to read or speak well. Dizzy, shaky. I was due for a check up anyway. I requested an a1c because I have heavy family history for diabetics on both sides. My doc knows my history and family so she was ok with it. Instead of my a1c coming back high. It came back low. My average blood glucose level came back in the 60's. Fast forward to Fall of 2016. After changing my diet my numbers showed no change. I am more sensitive to foods. I just want my life back.

My blood sugar can't get it up.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd lower the protein if you aren't lifting. To like 20, maybe 25%. Replace it with good healthy fats.

Are you eating carbs every two hours? Or do the carbs come mostly at one or two meals?

What are your carbs -- how much fiber, sugar, etc?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Without being a nutritionist or a physician, I'm gonna agree with a few posters and say your protein looks way high given the info you've posted.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Unless she decides to go keto, why do you folks keep saying her protein is too high? And even if she does go keto, she probably shouldn't even drop her protein. She would want to reduce her carbs a little more and increase her fat because her calories are too low. 135 grams of protein is not "a lot" by any means and unless you are keto protein is the most beneficial macro in terms of performance, satiety, and body comp.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'd lower the protein if you aren't lifting. To like 20, maybe 25%. Replace it with good healthy fats.

Are you eating carbs every two hours? Or do the carbs come mostly at one or two meals?

What are your carbs -- how much fiber, sugar, etc?
View Quote
My carbs have been mostly in my snacks, then lunch, then breakfast.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Unless she decides to go keto, why do you folks keep saying her protein is too high? And even if she does go keto, she probably shouldn't even drop her protein. She would want to reduce her carbs a little more and increase her fat because her calories are too low. 135 grams of protein is not "a lot" by any means and unless you are keto protein is the most beneficial macro in terms of performance, satiety, and body comp.
View Quote
And right now my carbs are getting harder to cut out because its carbs found in things other than bread and stuff like that.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And right now my carbs are getting harder to cut out because its carbs found in things other than bread and stuff like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why keto can be pretty tough at first, until you nail down the sneaky carbs. Like the 1 carb per oz of cheddar. I am not even saying you should do keto so much as research it to see if it would be beneficial to you in your situation.

Another thing I would look into, if you haven't, is getting a comprehensive blood panel done to see where your other numbers are. Like if you are vit. D deficient or anything like that.

With your activity level(chasing after kids all day) and most of your calories coming from proteins and fats(the good ones I am assuming) I am just baffled at the 1,200 calorie number. Having a condition like that may very well alter your dietary needs to the point where all conventional wisdom doesn't apply. So when I say I like your macro percentages because they work well for me, it doesn't mean they are right for you. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That is why keto can be pretty tough at first, until you nail down the sneaky carbs. Like the 1 carb per oz of cheddar. I am not even saying you should do keto so much as research it to see if it would be beneficial to you in your situation.

Another thing I would look into, if you haven't, is getting a comprehensive blood panel done to see where your other numbers are. Like if you are vit. D deficient or anything like that.

With your activity level(chasing after kids all day) and most of your calories coming from proteins and fats(the good ones I am assuming) I am just baffled at the 1,200 calorie number. Having a condition like that may very well alter your dietary needs to the point where all conventional wisdom doesn't apply. So when I say I like your macro percentages because they work well for me, it doesn't mean they are right for you. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an endo appointment on the 19th.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Today I skipped my 9:30am snack because I was on a phone call across the building. I tested my sugar at 11:15am right before I ate lunch. It was 45. Ate my lunch.

When I got back to my desk I tested again. 55. I just ate a few peanut m&m and a spoon full of peanut butter. Got to get it up. Just have to do it safely
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#22]
1200 is pretty low, i recomend keto for everything but it would be worth a shot for you, the only thing you would really change is add more fat to your diet. Your total carbs are low enough that your body is probably trying to produce ketones but you aren't consuming enough healthy fats.

You may still have lower blood sugar but if you are in ketosis it won't matter much, you will be burning fat instead of sugar so you won't crash.

Having protein as the main source of calories is pretty ruff on your liver trying to keep up with the gluconeogenesis. Protein is more of a building block than an energy source. You need either fat or carbs for energy. Your current macros kind of have you in the no mans land between a sugar burner and a fat burner. I've read and seen some videos of people who attemped carb and fat restricted diets describing similiar crashes as to what you are having.

The basic rule of thumb for a ketogenic diet is 70%fat 20-25%protein and 5-10%carbs. Based on your height weight and activity level i would put you at a minimum of 1500-1600 calories a day, stay under 40 grams of carbs most of which should be fiber, get at least 80 grams of protein and as much healthy fat as you want. Check out the big official keto thread in gd, read keto clarity or almost any of the huge number of resources out there.

It sounds like just adding some things like bullet proof coffee (coffee with heavy cream, coconut or mct oil and grass fed butter), fat bombs, and just more butter and bacon with your proteins would probably get you right where you need to be to keep getting lean and have energy.

Bare in mind that a lot of doctors get very little in the way of nutritional training and what they did get is based on the food pyramid garbage that has made america obese and diabetic.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Calories seem low.

Keto is great for managing blood sugar. But I don't know about having a baby on Keto.

You don't need that much protein if you aren't working out. .75 grams per pound of body weight would be fine.

You could do a Palo deit if you don't want to get rid of carbs. Yatka had had great success with it.

And most doctors don't really give a shit about you and will run some tests and throw some meds at you. Do your own research.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Fasting or Reactive Hypoglycemia?  

I have family with non-diabetes reactive hypoglycemia and they eat moderate carbs with lots of soluable fiber, moderate protein (1g/Kg) approx and fill in the rest with fats
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Fasting or Reactive Hypoglycemia?  

I have family with non-diabetes reactive hypoglycemia and they eat moderate carbs with lots of soluable fiber, moderate protein (1g/Kg) approx and fill in the rest with fats
View Quote
Reactive
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Calories seem low.

Keto is great for managing blood sugar. But I don't know about having a baby on Keto.

You don't need that much protein if you aren't working out. .75 grams per pound of body weight would be fine.

You could do a Palo deit if you don't want to get rid of carbs. Yatka had had great success with it.

And most doctors don't really give a shit about you and will run some tests and throw some meds at you. Do your own research.
View Quote
My main reason for my endo appointment is to make sure there is nothing else going on.

I've been doing lots of research.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My main reason for my endo appointment is to make sure there is nothing else going on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calories seem low.

I went to an endo who sucked. Wouldn't listen to me. Gave me meds that made me feel bad. Then told me I had to go see a different Dr. when I told him that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I went to an endo who sucked. Wouldn't listen to me. Gave me meds that made me feel bad. Then told me I had to go see a different Dr. when I told him that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calories seem low.

This will be my first time.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Made fat bombs yesterday. Going to add them to my daily routine. They were pretty easy to make.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Made fat bombs yesterday. Going to add them to my daily routine. They were pretty easy to make.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh214/AnnaKay86/BF324A6F-A5FF-41B7-8C91-FE6E8DAC4EFC_zpsukul6nps.jpg

View Quote

Those look delicious!

I've lost about 35 lbs doing lchf with some weight lifting, i think you'll be happy with that way of living. It may take a bit for your body to adjust to burning fat but with what you described of your diet i think it will be very fast.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#31]
This past weekend I made some phat fudge

Ingredients:
1 cup tahini (I use this kind)
1 cup grass fed butter or ghee
1/4 cup cacao
1 tbsp turmeric
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp maca
1/2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp cayenne
What To Do:
In a sauce pan, melt butter/ghee and whisk in tahini followed by the honey until it’s all well mixed.
Add the rest of the ingredients in no particular order and continue to whisk until you’ve got what I am now calling Unicorn Chocolate Sauce.
Carefully pour into the ice tray BUT purposely leave a spoon or two for your enjoyment now. #whywait

Place the tray in your freezer and practice patience, perhaps even meditate. *wink*

It only take a couple of hours to set. It’s only a couple of hours, hold your Unicorn!

You can keep them in the tray and just pop them out when you’re ready to enjoy.

***You must keep them stored in the freezer or refrigerator to keep shape***
View Quote

Not bad - more savory than sweet, but the tahini has bitter tones to it.

I also made an alternate version where I substituted a couple ingredients in order to try a dairy-free / vegan version just for giggles.

-instead of tahini, I used coconut butter (not oil, butter)
-instead of grass fed better, I used cacao butter

All other ingredients remained the same.  The coconut had a sweeter taste and it would probably be ok without the tiny amount of honey.  Bonus for using cacao butter in that the fudge is more solid at room temperature.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I also made an alternate version where I substituted a couple ingredients in order to try a dairy-free / vegan version just for giggles.

All other ingredients remained the same.  The coconut had a sweeter taste and it would probably be ok without the tiny amount of honey.  Bonus for using cacao butter in that the fudge is more solid at room temperature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ingredients:

1 cup tahini (I use this kind)

1 cup grass fed butter or ghee

1/4 cup cacao

1 tbsp turmeric

1/2 tbsp cinnamon

1/2 tbsp maca

1/2 tbsp honey

1 tsp vanilla

1/8 tsp cayenne

What To Do:

In a sauce pan, melt butter/ghee and whisk in tahini followed by the honey until it’s all well mixed.

Add the rest of the ingredients in no particular order and continue to whisk until you’ve got what I am now calling Unicorn Chocolate Sauce.

Carefully pour into the ice tray BUT purposely leave a spoon or two for your enjoyment now. #whywait

Place the tray in your freezer and practice patience, perhaps even meditate. *wink*

It only take a couple of hours to set. It’s only a couple of hours, hold your Unicorn!

You can keep them in the tray and just pop them out when you’re ready to enjoy.

***You must keep them stored in the freezer or refrigerator to keep shape***

Sounds good! I used a muffin pan and put in foil liners.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#33]
New day. New week. Me and my little girl stayed away from the house the whole weekend and we are still not back. Hubs has hand foot mouth.

I fail hard at eating right when I am at my parents house. They have all the wonderful stuff. Monday was my little girls field trip so I packed a good lunch for us. Very good and healthy.

I hardly got any food. She was so distracted and wanted to get back out there and play.

So today is a new week. Here is the line up I have for this week food schedule. If you see something and have a better idea, please post the idea. Don't just fuss at me.

Coffee with heavy whipping cream --- on the road

Breakfast: boiled egg, plain oatmeal, sausage

9:30  : fat bomb

11:30 lunch  chicken salad, avocado, a few triskets.

1:30 little smokies and string cheese.

3:00 banana and peanut butter.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
New day. New week. Me and my little girl stayed away from the house the whole weekend and we are still not back. Hubs has hand foot mouth.

I fail hard at eating right when I am at my parents house. They have all the wonderful stuff. Monday was my little girls field trip so I packed a good lunch for us. Very good and healthy.
I hardly got any food. She was so distracted and wanted to get back out there and play.

So today is a new week. Here is the line up I have for this week food schedule. If you see something and have a better idea, please post the idea. Don't just fuss at me.
View Quote

So your doing the heavy cream and fat bomb which looks like you are trying to do keto but then i see oatmeal triskets and banana. Which seem like they'd put your carbs too high. Instead of oatmeal another egg and grassfed butter, instead of triskets try some pork rinds, throw in another avacado and some mixed nuts instead of banana and peanut butter...

Again this is if you are trying to do the keto thing. If thats the case some more research might get you on the right track.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

So your doing the heavy cream and fat bomb which looks like you are trying to do keto but then i see oatmeal triskets and banana. Which seem like they'd put your carbs too high. Instead of oatmeal another egg and grassfed butter, instead of triskets try some pork rinds, throw in another avacado and some mixed nuts instead of banana and peanut butter...

Again this is if you are trying to do the keto thing. If thats the case some more research might get you on the right track.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not subscribing to one thing. I'm just trying to find something that works for me.

I knew someone was gonna call out the oatmeal and triskets. The pork skins are a good idea. I have not that about that before.

As far as the oatmeal. It works for me and works well. I did try a week with two eggs and sausage and cut the oatmeal. Had a hard week. I'm not eating a ton of it. I'm eating one of the packets. I guess its just a enough. I'm putting the fat bomb in between that and lunch and see if that gets me to lunch better.

Triskets - Im seeing how it goes. Only eating a few with lunch. But i'll find some pork skins.

Banana - Its easy but carby. I"m so not into nuts. I don't know if I wanna eat two avocados a day.

Fat bomb was very tasty. I left it in a zipplock on my desk. The peanut butter melted. Tomorrow I'll keep it in my lunch box.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not subscribing to one thing. I'm just trying to find something that works for me.
I knew someone was gonna call out the oatmeal and triskets. The pork skins are a good idea. I have not that about that before.
As far as the oatmeal. It works for me and works well. I did try a week with two eggs and sausage and cut the oatmeal. Had a hard week. I'm not eating a ton of it. I'm eating one of the packets. I guess its just a enough. I'm putting the fat bomb in between that and lunch and see if that gets me to lunch better.
Triskets - Im seeing how it goes. Only eating a few with lunch. But i'll find some pork skins.
Banana - Its easy but carby. I"m so not into nuts. I don't know if I wanna eat two avocados a day.

Fat bomb was very tasty. I left it in a zipplock on my desk. The peanut butter melted. Tomorrow I'll keep it in my lunch box.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could do berries and heavy cream instead of the banana and peanut butter.

Triscuits = gross.  Soybean oil - an oil refined from soybeans using heat and petroleum solvents (hexane) / maltodexterin - nutritionless sugar / Monosodium Glutamate - an additive that blocks satiety signals to the brain.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Triscuits = gross.  Soybean oil - an oil refined from soybeans using heat and petroleum solvents (hexane) / maltodexterin - nutritionless sugar / Monosodium Glutamate - an additive that blocks satiety signals to the brain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only had maybe 2 triscuits. Gonna find some small bags of pork skins.

I don't know about berries and cream. It has to go into a lunch box.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#38]
A review over today.

It is kinda hard to judge coming from staying with my folks this weekend where they have good southern cooking.

I have felt better than I have in a while.

Having the egg, oatmeal, sausage for breakfast and then the fat bomb, really set my day up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Yesterday and early this morning my blood sugar spiked then crashed.

It's worse on the weekend I guess since we don't have a schedule like I do at work.

When I have a bad episode it starts out with tingling lips, I feel like I'm moving in slow motion, my head gets really heavy.

If I don't catch it, like yesterday, I am down for the count.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#40]
They took 5 vials of blood. It may take around 5 days to get back. Will schedule a follow up for that.
Today was very low key. I liked the nurse and the doctor. They were very intent to listen. The doc brought up reactive hypoglycemia which is what I have been researching. There is a medicine. But he wanted all my labs to come back and nothing else be wrong. He said these appointments are usually long and he goes over a diet plan, but listening to me and what I eat he believes I am on the right track. He did make some suggestions on some of the foods I like. I should know more at my follow up. Biggest concern is my pancreas and thyroid. Once we rule those out it's one step closer.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#41]

At 1,200 calories a day you will basically put your body into "oh shit store everything" mode.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what makes that possible?  if im eating low calories but continuing to do physical work and work out.   What am i using for energy to do the work. or.....why wouldnt the low calories help lose weight because work requires energy requires calories to be used?

if you "burn muscle" in place of low calories you would lose weight so why or what actually is going on to retain the weight while still effectively doing a ton of physical work??//

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

At 1,200 calories a day you will basically put your body into "oh shit store everything" mode.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what makes that possible?  if im eating low calories but continuing to do physical work and work out.   What am i using for energy to do the work. or.....why wouldnt the low calories help lose weight because work requires energy requires calories to be used?

if you "burn muscle" in place of low calories you would lose weight so why or what actually is going on to retain the weight while still effectively doing a ton of physical work??//

View Quote

Your body is amazing at doing shit as efficiently as possible. What may seem like a lot of work when you are squishy may seem like peanuts if you are properly fueled and strong.

I just replied to your other thread talking about keto, last thing you want to do especially starting out is worry about calories.

My biggest weight loss weeks are after i have 3000+ calories a day while lifting 3 days a week and then keep lifting but include some intermitent fasting. Body gets all primed up to burn dietary fat and make muscle, cut the dietary fat back down and you burn body fat.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I would suggest increased food intake first.  Also you said oatmeal packets . ..those are usually full of sugar. Try boiling the old fashioned  kind yourself. Finally,  I really hope your  endo  is on point with thyroid  work . .. your levels can be off for  you , but  still be in the "normal" range  and they won't do anything to treat you.  Thyroid problems will mess you but good!  I got lucky,  my endo "gets it" when it comes to treating  my Hashimoto's.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Your body is amazing at doing shit as efficiently as possible. What may seem like a lot of work when you are squishy may seem like peanuts if you are properly fueled and strong.

I just replied to your other thread talking about keto, last thing you want to do especially starting out is worry about calories.

My biggest weight loss weeks are after i have 3000+ calories a day while lifting 3 days a week and then keep lifting but include some intermitent fasting. Body gets all primed up to burn dietary fat and make muscle, cut the dietary fat back down and you burn body fat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have learned that I can not survive on 1,200. There is just no way with how often and what I have to eat to feel good.

I have thrown calorie counting out the window.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I would suggest increased food intake first.  Also you said oatmeal packets . ..those are usually full of sugar. Try boiling the old fashioned  kind yourself. Finally,  I really hope your  endo  is on point with thyroid  work . .. your levels can be off for  you , but  still be in the "normal" range  and they won't do anything to treat you.  Thyroid problems will mess you but good!  I got lucky,  my endo "gets it" when it comes to treating  my Hashimoto's.
View Quote
I get the plain oatmeal in the packets. Yesterday I did buy steel cut oats like the doc suggested. But that kind has twice the carbs? Gonna make a small amount and see how it goes. I bought a small food thermos that is for keeping food hot so Ivan cook and take it with me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#46]
My blood work came back in normal levels.

I will be put on acarbose.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My blood work came back in normal levels.

I will be put on acarbose.
View Quote

Interesting i found this thread.

I think I could be Hypoglycemic so I guess a call or visit to the doc, is in my near future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top