Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2016 8:47:22 AM EDT
Hit legs hard on TUESDAY is fucking FRIDAY and my legs are still sore as fuck... good thing I only hit legs bi annually.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#1]
lol. Eat a bunch of protein, go do some squats, get the blood moving, eat more protein. You'll feel better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#2]
20-rep squats FTW!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing like hobbling around for a few days every week. I'm hobbling today as well, from squats yesterday.

I expect to be hobbling for a few more as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Destroyed my legs today.

5x5 front squats at 285#
5x10 SSB lunges at 155/175/195/205/225
155# SSB squats 30 reps for time (1:04)
smith machine calves sets of 20 at 365/385/405/425/445

And this is my second leg day of the week.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I jealous about all the cool legs days.  I tried the gym for a few minutes on Monday and since then I've been lucky to get out of bed.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
This guy does lots of leg days.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't get sore anymore.

Just a bit of an ache.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Cyclists, as a general rule, have the worst builds out of all professional athletes. Skinny/scrawny upper body with large thighs.

Horrible look.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cyclists, as a general rule, have the worst builds out of all professional athletes. Skinny/scrawny upper body with large thighs.

Horrible look.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Horrible look.

He is a velodrome racer, not a typical cyclist.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
20-rep squats FTW!
View Quote

Word.

I posted my old school 20 rep squat workout a few months ago.  It will beat your ass.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
cause your legs and ass are the biggest muscles. If i was going to recommend just one exercise it would be squats.

If you actually worked them regularly they wouldn't be sore. You probably overdid it as well, I typically squat 3 days a week

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Pro tip: If you do legs regularly they don't feel very sore.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't get sore anymore.

Just a bit of an ache.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Squat everyday, problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Horrible look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Horrible look.

This guy doesn't exactly fit that description, but he could use some calf work to even his legs out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I do legs as often as I drink heavily, just enough to remind myself why I don't do it on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
20-rep squats FTW!
View Quote

These wreck my lower back...

but I am back on them. I can't stay away. They are fucking awesome. Last night I hit 20x205
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I do legs as often as I drink heavily, just enough to remind myself why I don't do it on a regular basis.
View Quote

+1
I enjoy deadlift but fuck squats.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
20-rep squats FTW!
View Quote

Heavy 20-reppers are soul-sucking, but I like'em.

I've gone for 315 x 20 three times in my life; crashed and burned after 300 once, and 305 twice.  315 x 20 will be mine one day.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Those patellar tendonitis feels..........
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pro tip: If you do legs regularly they don't feel very sore.
View Quote

That's why I'm doing deads and squats 5 days a week.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

but I am back on them. I can't stay away. They are fucking awesome. Last night I hit 20x205
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
20-rep squats FTW!

Front squats bro. I can't regular squat at all because my back is fucked, front sqauts do not irritate my back at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Haha, this thread brings me back to my first ever leg workout.  
I wondered how the hell people did legs.  I could barely walk for two weeks after doing squats.  

Now, squats and deads are my favorite.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hit legs hard on TUESDAY is fucking FRIDAY and my legs are still sore as fuck... good thing I only hit legs bi annually.
View Quote

Don't whine. At least you CAN work your legs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I do 100-115 floors on the stairmaster in 20 minutes about every other day. I've started doing legs every other week as my legs always seemed fatigued and I'm lazy, plus I'm fairly happy with how big my legs are right now with the exception of my calves.

When I was in my twenties I loved doing legs, I went heavy and laughed at all the dudes in the gym who obviously never did legs. Now that I'm in my late thirties I don't enjoy being sore for days on end.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I do 100-115 floors on the stairmaster in 20 minutes about every other day. I've started doing legs every other week as my legs always seemed fatigued and I'm lazy, plus I'm fairly happy with how big my legs are right now with the exception of my calves.

When I was in my twenties I loved doing legs, I went heavy and laughed at all the dudes in the gym who obviously never did legs. Now that I'm in my late thirties I don't enjoy being sore for days on end.
View Quote

I did legs on a Sunday once. On Monday I drove 9 hours across Texas in a constant state of cramping, soreness, and when i got out of the truck i needed a walker to just be able to move. When i stopped for fuel a couple of time i really really had to piss but do you know how long of a walk it is from the truck pumps? I chose to hold it all day because the 200 yard walk was just not worth it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I did legs on a Sunday once. On Monday I drove 9 hours across Texas in a constant state of cramping, soreness, and when i got out of the truck i needed a walker to just be able to move. When i stopped for fuel a couple of time i really really had to piss but do you know how long of a walk it is from the truck pumps? I chose to hold it all day because the 200 yard walk was just not worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I squat every other day now. I was surprised that after a week or so, the soreness really isn't too bad. When I was doing it once or twice a week, I couldn't even walk the next day lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I squat every other day now. I was surprised that after a week or so, the soreness really isn't too bad. When I was doing it once or twice a week, I couldn't even walk the next day lol
View Quote

What sort of volume or numbers?

I'm doing the 5/3/1 vandersoft app and just started the boring but big (additional 5x10@50-60% training max) but... that wouldnt be sustainable every day.

Do you just do a cursory set or a 3x8? 20 rep squats and gomad? lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Count yourself lucky, at least you can do squats.  I go in for knee surgery on the 26th and am looking at a 4-5 month recovery  I can't wait to have normal knees again where I can work my legs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm doing the 5/3/1 vandersoft app and just started the boring but big (additional 5x10@50-60% training max) but... that wouldnt be sustainable every day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5/3/1 and BBB was a lot.  Twice a week is plenty if you're getting lots of food and sleep

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#33]
erry day is leg day
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#34]
You whiney little brats complainging about leg day are really missing out.

The best possible thing i have done for my health is squats 3 days a week. If you are really sore after a day of rest you probably over did it/ your diet sucks or you arent resting enough.

I just follow the starting strength routine, start really low weight. 2 sets of 5 with just the bar, figure out the weight for your work sets and divide by 4, 1 set of 5 at work set /4, 1 set of 3 work set /2, 1 set of 2 work set 3/4, 3 sets 5 work set.

Work set should be just bar first workout, add 5 or 10 pounds each workout untill you cant do a full deep below parallel rep for all 3 work sets. Once your form breaks down either deload a few pounds or just keep hitting that weight till you have proper form for all reps.

I don't care if you bench 500 and curl a cow, if you cant squat and hike a mountain you are a squishy pile of crap.

If you are adding a whole bunch of exercises beyond Squats, deadlifts, calves and upper body you are overdoing it. (assuming you aren't super fit adding front squats on off days and not sore)
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:39:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The best possible thing i have done for my health is squats 3 days a week. If you are really sore after a day of rest you probably over did it/ your diet sucks or you arent resting enough.

I just follow the starting strength routine, start really low weight. 2 sets of 5 with just the bar, figure out the weight for your work sets and divide by 4, 1 set of 5 at work set /4, 1 set of 3 work set /2, 1 set of 2 work set 3/4, 3 sets 5 work set.

Work set should be just bar first workout, add 5 or 10 pounds each workout untill you cant do a full deep below parallel rep for all 3 work sets. Once your form breaks down either deload a few pounds or just keep hitting that weight till you have proper form for all reps.

I don't care if you bench 500 and curl a cow, if you cant squat and hike a mountain you are a squishy pile of crap.

If you are adding a whole bunch of exercises beyond Squats, deadlifts, calves and upper body you are overdoing it. (assuming you aren't super fit adding front squats on off days and not sore)
View Quote

Oops.

1) You aren't exactly accurate in your description of SS. Do I must say, YNDTP.

2) You make some good points...for novices. Things change as you get stronger.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

5/3/1 and BBB was a lot.  Twice a week is plenty if you're getting lots of food and sleep

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, so only 5 working sets, which were 245 last night. I didn't really have any program before so I would just do a bunch of 8, 5, and 3 rep sets of increasing weight until I was exhausted lol. Then a similar thing for front squats and deadlifts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oops.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops.

I appologize if i have given some incorrect information, i wasnt trying to outline starting strength merely an example of progression on the squat portion.

Can you please tell me what i was not accurate about?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dont know if it's just me or does it kind of sounds like a beginner just called everyone in here who doesn't like legs a pussy or did I miss something?

FWIW,  it sounds like my warmup curl sets are more than your squat so take as you want. Are you currently squatting 225lbs for sets of ten with a torn meniscus and 30% cartridge left in each knee?

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Squats are one of the best exercises you can do, period. Doesn't even matter what the end goal is really, when done properly it is a total body workout that produces great results. The trick is to find a routine that lets you incorporate them into an overall workout plan, that doesn't destroy you to the point that you cant meet your other goals or objectives.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Every day is leg day!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I dont know if it's just me or does it kind of sounds like a beginner just called everyone in here who doesn't like legs a pussy or did I miss something?

FWIW,  it sounds like my warmup curl sets are more than your squat so take as you want. Are you currently squatting 225lbs for sets of ten with a torn meniscus and 30% cartridge left in each knee?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm currently sitting on my ass reading arfcom, my knees are fine, i outlined the sets and reps i do for squats which don't include sets of 10 so my squats being more than that isnt an apples to apples comparison. But i'm glad you realize the importance of squats especially for a person with damaged knees.

I am a beginner and if you aren't doing legs you are squishy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Destroyed my legs today.

5x5 front squats at 285#
5x10 SSB lunges at 155/175/195/205/225
155# SSB squats 30 reps for time (1:04)
smith machine calves sets of 20 at 365/385/405/425/445

And this is my second leg day of the week.  
View Quote

SSB lunges? Just threw up in my mouth.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you were REALLY working your legs, you would be complaining about your butt-cheeks most of all.
View Quote

Oh no, hamstrings.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Did squats and deads on Thursday. Ran six miles on Friday. Today was not that good of a workout.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The glutes always bother me more than the hammies.  That and my spinal erectors after deadlift night are always pissed for a couple of days.  Squats can ruffle my spinal erectors but pushing my deads get them angerous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you were REALLY working your legs, you would be complaining about your butt-cheeks most of all.

Oh no, hamstrings.

The glutes always bother me more than the hammies.  That and my spinal erectors after deadlift night are always pissed for a couple of days.  Squats can ruffle my spinal erectors but pushing my deads get them angerous.

My hamstrings always get me too, rarely does my butt hurt unless I do heavy barbell lunges.

However, I hate doing heavy front squats the most. Not sure what it is about the particular movement, but my adductors are so sore for 2-3 days after its painful to get up and down from a chair. I know its because im pushing out to keep from my knees coming inwards, but still sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top