Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to get fitted for some running shoes tomorrow.  Man I suck at anything more than 400 meters.  Slow going at 260#.  It's not my cardio.  I blow my legs up with lactic acid.  And then I start cramping.  I'm a mess.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you're due for a good dynamic warm up before running. Then a light to medium walk with purpose. Followed by your running. Followed by cool down walking. Finished up with extensive stretching, foam rolling.

Drink lots of water. Stop drinking soda and sweetened drinks.

The toughest part of a new routine is the first 2 painful weeks. Good warm up and stretching will help manage the lactic acid pain.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not my cardio.  I blow my legs up with lactic acid.  And then I start cramping.  
View Quote

Lactate is the byproduct of anaerobic metabolism.  It doesn't cause cramps and highly aerobic tissues in the body like the heart can metabolize it for fuel.

"Cardio" is a misnomer.  Much like strength work, endurance work primarily affects skeletal muscle - increased mitochondrial density, capillary density, and the presence of aerobic enzymes are the primary benefits of endurance exercise.  There are some central ("cardio") adaptations that lead to increased performance like increased heart size and blood volume, but those effects are less than the peripheral effects.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lactate is the byproduct of anaerobic metabolism.  It doesn't cause cramps and highly aerobic tissues in the body like the heart can metabolize it for fuel.

"Cardio" is a misnomer.  Much like strength work, endurance work primarily affects skeletal muscle - increased mitochondrial density, capillary density, and the presence of aerobic enzymes are the primary benefits of endurance exercise.  There are some central ("cardio") adaptations that lead to increased performance like increased heart size and blood volume, but those effects are less than the peripheral effects.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not my cardio.  I blow my legs up with lactic acid.  And then I start cramping.  

No idea what you just said.  

My legs don't "cramp" they just blow up and die on me.  My stomach usually starts cramping due to poor breathing, or whatever causes that.  I'm a mess.  I got some sauconys fitted for me.  Really helps so far.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that three times.

Still can't figure it out, but I know that I can't breathe well.  So that's cardio right?

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I read that three times.

Still can't figure it out, but I know that I can't breathe well.  So that's cardio right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that three times.

1.  Cardiovascular exercise is a bad term because it makes people wrongly believe that it's all about the heart and lungs when most performance limitations are actually in skeletal muscle.  

2.  Lactate doesn't "blow up" anyone's muscle.  Lactate is a byproduct of anaerobic metabolism and is not a performance detractor.  Lactate is, in fact, a source of fuel for highly aerobic (mitochondrially dense) tissues like the heart.  

The problem - what is limiting your exercise performance - is probably in your legs, not in your heart and lungs
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

1.  Cardiovascular exercise is a bad term because it makes people wrongly believe that it's all about the heart and lungs when most performance limitations are actually in skeletal muscle.  

2.  Lactate doesn't "blow up" anyone's muscle.  Lactate is a byproduct of anaerobic metabolism and is not a performance detractor.  Lactate is, in fact, a source of fuel for highly aerobic (mitochondrially dense) tissues like the heart.  

The problem - what is limiting your exercise performance - is probably in your legs, not in your heart and lungs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that three times.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said it's not my cardio.  The problem is probably that I have long skinny damn legs to be powering a 260# body for distance.  I guess I have to either lose weight or get bigger legs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's what I meant when I said it's not my cardio.  The problem is probably that I have long skinny damn legs to be powering a 260# body for distance.  I guess I have to either lose weight or get bigger legs.
View Quote

Long skinny legs are better for running than bigger legs.  In the past, I have often wished for skinny legs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, blessed with thick Polak legs. After training a lot and learning what works best for me, I am getting better. Finished a couple half marathons but yeah, sometimes I envy those lightweight runners that fly around the streets.

Quoted:

Long skinny legs are better for running than bigger legs.  In the past, I have often wished for skinny legs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
A little late on an an update, but ran a competitive 5K on Thanksgiving morning.

2801 runners across all classes and genders and I managed to finish in the top 9% running a 7.50 mile/min pace.  Finished 10th in my division (40-44) our of 124 runners.  Pretty happy with the results.  Winner of my division ran a 5.54 min/mile pace, so I still have a ways to go.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations on your run and your progress.  
Thanks for all of the knowledge from the experienced guys.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]
22.15 5K a little earlier for a 7.08 min/mile pace.  Oooooh, that 6.59 pace is looking tantalizingly close.

For the record, I damn near barfed after that trot.  No way in hell I could maintain that pace for a 10K.  Yet.

ETA:  Also down to 175 pounds.  1 pound away from a 25.0 BMI, and the government not telling me I am fat anymore.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, a thank-you to the gentleman who suggested foam rolling earlier in the thread.

Using that thing, with some targeted stretching, has virtually eliminated the issues I was having with shin splints.

For anyone battling splints, I highly recommend giving one a try.  About a minute and half per leg has worked wonders for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I decided to join the Air Force, and was unable to run the 1.5 mile run fast enough. So I decided to take a running class in college. 

The professors name was David Horton. (Google him) 

16 weeks later I was standing at the start line of the Richmond marathon, and almost 5 hours later I was laying down at the finish 

Eight weeks after that I ran my first Ultramarathon. And I've kept running since.... 

A great book is called "The lore of running." Super helpful with regards to diet and training. 

And like you, I'm angry it took me so long to discover foam rolling 
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also, a thank-you to the gentleman who suggested foam rolling earlier in the thread.

Using that thing, with some targeted stretching, has virtually eliminated the issues I was having with shin splints.

For anyone battling splints, I highly recommend giving one a try.  About a minute and half per leg has worked wonders for me.
View Quote

Congrats on your 5k time, you can get that sub 7 minute. Going to feel so good when you do!

Glad the foam rolling is helping - helped me also.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I just signed up for a June 5k that I hope to get sub 20:00 in. After an honest assessment of where I'm at, I need to lose about 10-15 lbs and add 10-15 miles per week  right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Haven't checked here since Nov. Some of you are posting some really impressive times.

December was a pretty good month for me, my longest was 6.6 mile on the 31st, wanted to close the year out with a distance that matched my years on this planet and I wasn't going to run 66 miles.

January sucked. I caught some respiratory crap that knocked me out for 10 days and then we had a lot of days in the single digits with wind and ice, not conditions for an old guy to run in. But the past few days have been good, did 7 miles yesterday another 3 this morning. I'm slow but I'm moving forward which is a lot better than some people my age. My times from leaving the house, doing a 10 minute warm up walk and then finishing the run usually isn't any faster than 14:30 but I'm going to keep working on that.

My knees give me some pain, have some arthritis issues but they are more of a problem if I'm not out running or at least walking. Remember this when someone is ragging on you about running screwing up your knees, sitting on your ass is what wrecks your body.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Holidays threw me for a bit of a loop with family visiting,  parties, food, etc.

Still weighing in at 173-175, though.   Just haven't posted a new PR in the last 30 days or so.

I expect to close out a 7.41 10k within the next week,  which should be good for a mid 47 minute or so time.   I'm pretty confident i could best my 22.15 5k at this point,  just haven't put in a max effort run at that distance.   Kind of rolled back to the 10k distance for now.

On another note,  my youngest daughter, without me asking,  bought me a pair of calf compression sleeves for Christmas.  I had never heard of them,  and she just saw the display in the store and thought they looked cool and had her mother buy them for me.  So far,  i think they ate fantastic.   Admittedly,  they look goofy as hell, but i have had zero splint issues since i started running with them. 

I will check back in when i notch the 7.41 10k.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my 1.5 run down reliably under 12, usually right at 11:00. Then the holidays. Then an upper respiratory infection. Today I was happy with a sub 15:00 1.5 Mike run. It's amazing how fast you can lose it! It's been 6 weeks and now I'm struggling just to cover the distance. Oh well, I'll just keep fighting.

Keep it up OP!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Running is evil.  

In my 20's I weighed 185lbs. at 6'4".  The best I ever managed was 5 miles in 30 minutes. I could average 6.30 minute miles for for 10 miles.

It took me about a year of hard daily running to get to that.  I worked up to that with an initial goal of running straight for one hour.  Then I worked on getting faster for 3 and then 5 miles.  I would run slow and fast days, and would work in intervals into my distances.  

As for technique you need to develop a smooth and efficient gate and work breathing into your pace.  You can't just hyperventilate.  Take three paces for every breath, for example.  Increase your leg speed to go faster not just increase your stride.  You may also want to use a heart rate monitor and track yourself with that.  Heart rate training is a science all to itself.  

I think running past the age of 40 is kind of counter productive. I would bike or do an elliptical instead. Running is just too hard on the body.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Running is evil.  

In my 20's I weighed 185lbs. at 6'4".  The best I ever managed was 5 miles in 30 minutes. I could average 6.30 minute miles for for 10 miles.

It took me about a year of hard daily running to get to that.  I worked up to that with an initial goal of running straight for one hour.  Then I worked on getting faster for 3 and then 5 miles.  I would run slow and fast days, and would work in intervals into my distances.  

As for technique you need to develop a smooth and efficient gate and work breathing into your pace.  You can't just hyperventilate.  Take three paces for every breath, for example.  Increase your leg speed to go faster not just increase your stride.  You may also want to use a heart rate monitor and track yourself with that.  Heart rate training is a science all to itself.  

I think running past the age of 40 is kind of counter productive. I would bike or do an elliptical instead. Running is just too hard on the body.
View Quote

Disagree.

I'm 48 and run 5 days a week. Saturday was 7 miles in 62 minutes. Not a speed demon, but not bad for a guy that is just trying to survive running through the winter until the weather turns nice enough that I get the distances up again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Disagree.

I'm 48 and run 5 days a week. Saturday was 7 miles in 62 minutes. Not a speed demon, but not bad for a guy that is just trying to survive running through the winter until the weather turns nice enough that I get the distances up again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Running is evil.  

Disagree.

To each his own.   I developed severe hamstring tendinitis in my left hamstring and mild in my right from running.  It got so bad I could no longer even ride a bike.  

It has taken two years to mostly resolve after I started a powerlifting /bodybuilding routine.   Then there was the plantar fasciitis.   That only took six months to heal.  

Then there was the matter of being physically weak.   Most runners don't squat 450lbs.

Running long distances,  or any steady state cardio over an hour eats muscle and pummels the immune system.  

I think a mix of conditioning  and strength training is an improvement for health and general fitness over running.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn.  Took me longer than i thought.   I got derailed by a week long trip to Disney, and then another week long ski trip.

Turns out taking two weeks off plays hell with training.  Whooda thunk it.

I did finally notch a 7.40 10k today at 47.35.

FYI, having in shape legs kicks serioud ass for skiing.  I'm a good skier,  but have been an out of shape slob for the past several years.   This year i was hitting the terrain parks with my girls,  and managed to learn a 180 spin off jumps.   Mogul skiing with good legs is also freaking awesome.   Best ski trip I have had in 20 years.

You get some interesting looks on the jumps and half pipe as a 45 year old.  I loved it.

Going to focus on 5k this week, as I have a race next Saturday.  I would love to see a 22.xx time for that.   We will see. 
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Goal this year is a 5k at 8 min a mile and a 10k at 9 min. I'm getting close to that goal.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Running long distances,  or any steady state cardio over an hour eats muscle and pummels the immune system.  
View Quote
I love these absolute statements in SD&F. 

Walking for 61 minutes is just like having the AIDZ.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I love these absolute statements in SD&F. 

Walking for 61 minutes is just like having the AIDZ.
View Quote
I do 59:59...chasing the bug and living dangerously!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#28]
All I can say, is I dropped 60 pounds essentially by running, and eliminating cola and sweet tea.

Do whatever floats your boat,  but running floats mine. 

Oh, and 47 is less than 60, so i guess i have some muscle left.

I laugh now because my wife makes fun of my spindly little legs.   When she does,  i ask "Wanna race?".   That tend to shut her right up. 

Seriously, do whatever you choose,  but do something.   I did, and my life is measurably better than 12 months ago
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Seriously, do whatever you choose,  but do something.   I did, and my life is measurably better than 12 months ago
View Quote
Amen avslash.

Ditto

49 year old, 282#, 6'2" lineman build, very slow/beginning runner.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Checking in again.

10K at 7.30 min/mile at about a 46.34.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Congratulations, dude!

I've been following this thread since you started it.
I'm also a newish runner. I used to hate it but now, I can't wait to get after it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#33]
7.19 10k this month,  and, more importantly for me, a 5k at 6.59.

Took me 13 months,  but i can now say I have run a sub-7 time.   Pretty happy about that. 

Working up to a 7.09 10k now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top