Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Stronglifts is a solid program that gives great results. Run it until you're not making gains anymore then check out 531.

Don't rush things to much on SL, but if the weights are stupid easy its ok to go up 10#s per session instead of the prescribed 5#s.

I'm a month into SL after an almost two year hiatus from the gym....I'm loving the quick gains
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The program with the app really gives you a sense of progress.  

We haven't remeasured our bodies (we took comprehensive measurements before starting) but I can imagine even in this short time there are going to be gains there.  We talked about doing that tonight, so I might post those numbers as well.  I have obviously gained weight since starting as well, which is what I was expecting.

My confidence lifting and excitement to do the work to push myself to lift more... and my squat alone are making huge gains.  It makes it worth getting up at 04:45.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The program with the app really gives you a sense of progress.  

We haven't remeasured our bodies (we took comprehensive measurements before starting) but I can imagine even in this short time there are going to be gains there.  We talked about doing that tonight, so I might post those numbers as well.  I have obviously gained weight since starting as well, which is what I was expecting.

My confidence lifting and excitement to do the work to push myself to lift more... and my squat alone are making huge gains.  It makes it worth getting up at 04:45.
View Quote

Good.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, you're about 6 weeks ahead of me in the program.  

I started SL 5x5 3 weeks ago.  I haven't noticed a change in my weight but my pants are actually starting to fit better.  

I'm 41 years old and 110 KG (242 pounds, so yea, I'm a fatass, I know).  I took 2 years off from working out when I retired from the Army and it showed.  I was pretty disgusted with myself.  I was never much of a gym rat, so I was looking for an easy to follow routine and SL 5x5 came up.  

Today's schedule is
Squat @ 35KG (77 lbs)
Bench @ 27.5KG (60.5 lbs)
Barbell rows @ 37.5KG (82.5 lbs)

My biggest personal challenge are that my "gym" (a small weight room in my apartment complex) doesn't have a squat rack.  I've been doing squats with a dumbbell and will have to start cradling plates pretty soon.  Not sure what to do about that one.  

I took a big step backwards on the bench, but wanted to follow the program, so right now the bench press is kind of a break for me.  I had never done a squat, deadlift, or overhead press in my life before starting SL5x5.  There was a big mental barrier for me, but I've overcome that and actually look forward to being in the gym for a while.  I really like that I can be done with the daily workout in about 35 minutes, pending I don't have to wait on anybody.

Just wanted to share and let you know there are other SL5x5'ers out here.  It's a decent program for beginners and novices, pending we keep with it.  I can see myself transitioning to a 5/3/1-type program in the future though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top