Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2016 10:07:01 AM EDT
Built my home gym:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_113/1904793_Talk_me_out_of_this_squat_rack___Update___Its_Built.html

Started strong lifts Saturday morning.  So this morning was the 2nd workout.  I am just going to keep a thread going for questions I have and comments others have.

My SO and I did Keto for a few months and had really good results.  We weren't in need to lose a ton of weight but the goal was to ensure we had the discipline before dropping a lot of money on the home gym.  We did a lot of body weight workouts and running during this time.

Now that we are doing Strong Lifts 5x5 we are getting off keto on workout days.  So small quantities of high quality carbs (blueberries and banana, sweet potatoes, quinoa) on the days that we lift.  We are also eating in a surplus now and increasing the amount of protein.  I know there are many that had success with sticking with Keto and getting gains but I want the best diet possible for recovery at least for the first 12 weeks.

We have done barbell squats before and obviously bench press.  The rest of the exercises (deadlift, row, shoulder press) are new to us.  We are closely watching each other to make sure the form is perfect and since this is the start of 5x5 the weight is thankfully really light and its easy to focus on form.  If you look at my home gym thread you can see that the roof is too low to do standing shoulder press so we are doing seated without back support.

We decided to track progress by taking extensive body measurements (neck, shoulder, waist, hips, thigh, chest) and are going to take those every two weeks to track progress.  We also having a Withings scale for tracking weight.

Anyways, that is all.  Just going to keep this thread updated every couple of days.  I welcome any criticism or suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to post some videos up if you are both noobs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, we are going to video ourselves doing the workouts.  I might post some of those here.  Obviously watching a ton of youtube videos on form doesn't make you an expert but we are very aware of what not to do and what to look out for.  It helps that we are both watching each other through each exercise.  Thankfully neither of us have some weird back pain through two days.  My legs are wrecked and her upper back from the rows.  

The biggest issue we have is that she is having a little trouble going deep on the squats.  I think its a confidence issue and some mobility.  When I am down spotting her, using my hands as a guide for when her butt has gone low enough (I put my hands a couple inches below her knees)  she gets there and gets the weight back up, no issue.  If I am not there its like shes getting worried about going too low or if she can stand the weight back up.  We had been doing power-weight style squats before and not going as deep.  I think after another week she will be fine.  The weight is so low right now that we can really focus on form and doing the exercises correctly.  That is probably the best part of 5x5.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, we are going to video ourselves doing the workouts.  I might post some of those here.  Obviously watching a ton of youtube videos on form doesn't make you an expert but we are very aware of what not to do and what to look out for.  It helps that we are both watching each other through each exercise.  Thankfully neither of us have some weird back pain through two days.  My legs are wrecked and her upper back from the rows.  

The biggest issue we have is that she is having a little trouble going deep on the squats.  I think its a confidence issue and some mobility.  When I am down spotting her, using my hands as a guide for when her butt has gone low enough (I put my hands a couple inches below her knees)  she gets there and gets the weight back up, no issue.  If I am not there its like shes getting worried about going too low or if she can stand the weight back up.  We had been doing power-weight style squats before and not going as deep.  I think after another week she will be fine.  The weight is so low right now that we can really focus on form and doing the exercises correctly.  That is probably the best part of 5x5.

View Quote

Squats are tough at first, both my wife and I both had trouble getting very deep for several months.  Keep the load really light as you get comfortable with the depth, then start adding.  It's not a race for weight, and you'll actually make better progress in the long run by far.

Here's a thread from a while back that has some really good tips.  Squats

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I love keto and have been doing it for the most part since late 2014.

I switched to 5x5 after my Spartan a little over a month ago. Not starting at empty bar weight since I had already been doing the exercises for a year prior (just wasn't following a structured powerlifting program/schedule), and I've added carbs back in.

I hate eating carbs and I hate being hungry from eating carbs, but in the last month or so I do feel that there is an advantage to eating carbs around the workout in terms of recovery and strength gains.

Roughly, my daily intake looks like:

8:30am -- cup of cottage cheese, some blueberries
noon -- salad w/ 6-8oz red meat or 12-16oz white meat/fish, cheese (goat, feta, or cheddar), a few cherry tomatoes, some blueberries, and oil for dressing. Also a handful or two of mixed nuts (almonds/cashews/walnuts/pecans/pistachios)
3:30pm -- banana
4:30pm -- 2 scoops of whey
6:00pm -- 1 scoop creastorm (some crap Myprotein sent me free, has 19g carb per serving, and other bro-sciency preworkout stuff, and creatine) + preworkout. Sometimes a few spoonfuls of quinoa or some mixed nuts or peanut butter. Then I hit the gym.
8:00pm -- dinner (varies) but generally speaking another 8oz of red meat or 16oz poultry/fish/pork, and ~40g carbs from either wild rice or quinoa, and a vegetable. Whole milk, and usually some cheese or cottage cheese with strawberries or a banana with peanut butter.
10:00pm -- casein shake, usually with a little whole milk added

I've gained about 4-5lbs in 5 weeks so far, so I'll probably reduce my intake a hair to see if I can, or just keep it the same.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Squats are tough at first, both my wife and I both had trouble getting very deep for several months.  Keep the load really light as you get comfortable with the depth, then start adding.  It's not a race for weight, and you'll actually make better progress in the long run by far.

View Quote

We are familiar with proper squat form but never did ass to grass squats (which I am unfortunately feeling the benefits of today).  Whats crazy is that I have no problem getting low and I don't do anything for my flexibility.  She has done a good bit of yoga.  I will keep in mind that it might take a while and we are both very conscious of not pushing the weight faster than 5x5.  Shes not even at Olympic bar weight yet (20kg).  

Thanks for that video... Mark Bell... hes the guy from bigger stronger faster if I remember right.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#6]
@thormx538 we are trying carbs only on workout days.  We also are throwing in whey shakes to help be in a surplus.  I also want to do everything I can to recover quickly so if we need to I am going to switch to carbs everyday.  Only high quality stuff, I am not going back to having sugar again.

We aren't really focused on weight although I expect to start gaining soon just because of the surplus and muscle gain.  

If you haven't gotten it already the 5x5 android (on IOS too) app is good and makes the timing between sets something I can't cheat on and brainless.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We are familiar with proper squat form but never did ass to grass squats (which I am unfortunately feeling the benefits of today).  Whats crazy is that I have no problem getting low and I don't do anything for my flexibility.  She has done a good bit of yoga.  I will keep in mind that it might take a while and we are both very conscious of not pushing the weight faster than 5x5. Shes not even at Olympic bar weight yet (20kg).

Thanks for that video... Mark Bell... hes the guy from bigger stronger faster if I remember right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We are familiar with proper squat form but never did ass to grass squats (which I am unfortunately feeling the benefits of today).  Whats crazy is that I have no problem getting low and I don't do anything for my flexibility.  She has done a good bit of yoga.  I will keep in mind that it might take a while and we are both very conscious of not pushing the weight faster than 5x5. Shes not even at Olympic bar weight yet (20kg).

My wife started with air squats, then moved to the EZ curl bar, then the EZ bar with some weights and eventually up to an empty 45lb bar.  She's now front squatting over 100lbs, I don't know where her back squat is.  She had never really done anything athletic as a kid or an adult, so a totally new experience for her, and she was very weak to start.  It's motivated her mom to also put on some muscle, at 65 with bad knees and a lifetime of sedentary obesity.  But at least it's something.

On that video (the first one with Max Aita) he really dispels the idea that on a squat you have to stick your ass out the back.  He's keeping the hips up tight under the bar and letting the knees go forward to do it.  A lot of guys from the powerlifting side like the hips back, wide stance and low bar because it's better for pushing a lot of weight around to a lesser depth, but it's not really the same as a high bar deep squat so you can let the knees go forward.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We are familiar with proper squat form but never did ass to grass squats (which I am unfortunately feeling the benefits of today).  Whats crazy is that I have no problem getting low and I don't do anything for my flexibility.  She has done a good bit of yoga.  I will keep in mind that it might take a while and we are both very conscious of not pushing the weight faster than 5x5.  Shes not even at Olympic bar weight yet (20kg).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Getting my wife to hit depth was the bane of my existence for most of the summer. She just didn't feel stable getting near parallel, her chest would dive and her hips would stay high. All sorts of stuff that made me want to put my head through the wall and I couldn't make too many corrections otherwise I was criticizing her, etc. One day I tossed something on the floor and told her "pick it up without flashing the world your tits and ass." Sure as shit she was able to squat down to depth and pick the thing up. So she now knew that squatting to and past depth was possible without falling over.

Then I had her doing goblet squats for a few weeks, working on depth and keeping the chest up. All of this translated over to her squats. Last week she hit 5 singles at 135. I was stoked, to say the least. Yesterday I actually had to tell her "you don't have to go that low." lol. Months of "LOWER!" and now she is confident enough to get all the way down. It is good stuff. She didn't do well with box squats. She would actually sit and just lose tightness regardless of what I said. So we stuck to goblet squats as her main work until she was able to get parallel with the bar.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
i started stronglifts in march.  at first with no weight, i wasn't taking the form seriously so was half assing the form.  

fucked up my back for like 2 weeks doing the warmup squats with just the bar.  was listing to one side at like 30 degrees.  lots of stretching to be able to stand up straight again

now i take form seriously
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I found just getting down in to a Slav squat pose (no Adidas track suit necessary) as often as possible helped a lot for gaining hip flexibility and balance, which translates to depth with a bar. I wind up Slav squatting for like 5 minutes a day total throughout the day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Watch for butt wink on ass to grass squats. I bet money you are doing it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's butt wink?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What's butt wink?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's butt wink?

It's where your back rounds and your ass goes under it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#14]
So, third workout this morning and placing 5 pound plates under her heels worked perfectly.  She was able to squat very deep.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, third workout this morning and placing 5 pound plates under her heels worked perfectly.  She was able to squat very deep.
View Quote

I work on ankle mobility 3 times a week.  I start by simply bending at the ankle as far as I can and 'crush' the knee to the ground to get as much ankle movement as I can.  Then I loop a band on the squat rack, step through with my back to the stand and the band right at the ankle and do it again.  Having the band pull in on the ankle helps a lot.

Then I start squatting either barefoot or in flat shoes.  Once I'm warmed up and start squatting into the 300s I switch over to lifting shoes and put my knee sleeves on.  Getting the mobility and then immediately using it seems to be working really well.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#16]
The Rogue SML safety bars just showed up today.  Which is good.  Neither of us have failed although she has been feeling the squats now that she is getting low.  She also got to 20kg for squats so she is using an actual bar now instead of EZ curl bar.

Tonight I told her we will practice failing on squat so we know what to do when it happens and don't panic.  Honestly, I am not sure what to do, so I will probably hit youtube for that.  I think you just continue dropping in the squat and let the bar go, it should be very close to the safety bar at the bottom of the squat and be just fine releasing it.

Stronglifts guy has a failure video...

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Rogue SML safety bars just showed up today.  Which is good.  Neither of us have failed although she has been feeling the squats now that she is getting low.  She also got to 20kg for squats so she is using an actual bar now instead of EZ curl bar.

Tonight I told her we will practice failing on squat so we know what to do when it happens and don't panic.  Honestly, I am not sure what to do, so I will probably hit youtube for that.  I think you just continue dropping in the squat and let the bar go, it should be very close to the safety bar at the bottom of the squat and be just fine releasing it.

Stronglifts guy has a failure video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSiqt3tEyP4
View Quote

I've failed on squats several times.  Last week in fact, that's when I decided to take the week off and try to get better (sick).  If you have bumpers its really easy, just sit all the way down to the bottom and pop it off backwards.  No big deal, just don't let it ride your spine down.  With a rack just sit down to the pins, again, no big deal.

I feel a lot more comfortable bailing out with bumpers and plenty of open space than I do in a rack.  My problem is the open area is usually being used by crossfitters so I have to lift in the rack with iron plates.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, this is my actual rack.  Spotter arms got here today so I will be dumping a bar with iron plates onto those.  Don't get it confused though, I am still lifting very light weight.  Failure is pretty far off (ideally) but I don't want to panic in the moment and do something stupid.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, this is my actual rack.  Spotter arms got here today so I will be dumping a bar with iron plates onto those.  Don't get it confused though, I am still lifting very light weight.  Failure is pretty far off (ideally) but I don't want to panic in the moment and do something stupid.  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=91806

View Quote

I really don't think failure is a big deal, and it can happen even with your light weights.  I can normally squat 385 for a few sets of 3, but last week I got stapled to the ground on the first rep.  I was not feeling well that weekend and ended up getting really sick that night, but I'd bet it dropped my max squat by 75lbs.  I felt 'ok' (not great) when I tried it so it was unexpected to get nailed to the ground so easily.  That can happen at light weights too, it doesn't take a lot to reduce your lifts by 20% or so.

I have essentially the exact same rack but not from Rogue.  Mine is still at the old house, I was hoping to move it up to the new house this week.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=91806

View Quote

Practice with the bar, will build confidence, and make sure the safeties are set to the right height (which will be different for you and your wife).  Just like in the video, feel your self going too far forward or you get stuck, just sit back deep into the hole and lightly let the pins take the bar.

Do some stupid shit like this (these guys are just testing) and just bail, then be ready to buy a new bar, even with light weight.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#21]
So I didn't understand what butt wink was until this morning.  Now that she has been getting low enough with the squat she pulls her butt in at the very bottom of the squat.  

I am googling to see how to resolve the butt wink thing but would appreciate any advice!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So I didn't understand what butt wink was until this morning.  Now that she has been getting low enough with the squat she pulls her butt in at the very bottom of the squat.  

I am googling to see how to resolve the butt wink thing but would appreciate any advice!
View Quote

Keep the core tight, and don't divebomb the squat. Take a big breath of air and tighten everything -- abs, obliques, traps, delts, chest, etc, and make a controlled descent. Focus on a vertical bar path over mid-foot. Try to keep your neck in line with your spine -- don't stare at your feet, or the ceiling. Pick a point on the ground 10 feet in front of you (imaginary, since you have a wall there) and focus on that during the movement.

Butt wink is different than sliding the hips back out of the hole, which is usually a stance width issue (too narrow), or the knees not tracking over the feet (and thus caving inwards).

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doing then right. You just have to stay on it  video her. Show here video.  Post videos of both of you so other can help.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Alright, video of me squatting:

Also, I promise to not video in that format.  I will turn the phone next time.  I NEVER take video of anything so I didn't even think of it.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#25]
and her...

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Also, I promise to not video in that format.  I will turn the phone next time.  I NEVER take video of anything so I didn't even think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq8-BlEefZo
View Quote

You have super awful butt wink. Stop looking up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
and her...

http://youtu.be/PnJmoqfF3G4
View Quote

Not bad. She needs to push her hips apart and sit between them. Also not look up. Neutral spine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah I have read several places where they say not to look up but for some reason I keep doing it.  Once she understood what butt wonk was she was watching me and said I was doing it and I had no idea.  

Is she getting deep enough in her squats?  Anything else you can suggest for me?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not bad. She needs to push her hips apart and sit between them. Also not look up. Neutral spine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and her...

Can you explain the hips thing a little bit more?

We are both genuinely appreciative of the help.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#30]
See how round your back is?

You need to pretend like you're going to get fucked in the ass and stick it out not under.

Instead of just siting back you push your hips apart and sit between them and back.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah I have read several places where they say not to look up but for some reason I keep doing it.  Once she understood what butt wonk was she was watching me and said I was doing it and I had no idea.  

Is she getting deep enough in her squats?  Anything else you can suggest for me?
View Quote

It looks like she is deep enough.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that a high bar or low bar squat?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and her...

What he said. She looks like she's doing ok.

Have her point her toes out a little if they aren't. And maybe go a hair (like a tiny bit) wider with her feet. It will help create a hole to drop her butt into. Hard to tell if it's really needed with a side video. The squat look pretty good though.

Is there a mirror there? Unless your squating nude, you should never be looking in a mirror. Head, neck, and back should all be strait. Not head up/ back. Look at the same spot on the floor 5-8' out in front of you. But like KaiK said, neutral head throughout the drop and stand. With a heavy squat, that neck strain is not good.

As she starts adding weight, keep posting videos up For these guys to look at.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your hams are tight and your hip mobility is making your tooshy blink hard. Stop going so low. Ass to grass is fine if you have the mobility. You might not. Go to parallel, then up. You need to keep your hips rotated as far forward as you can in the bottom of the squat. Put 10# plates under your heals to see if it help eliminate the wink. If it does, some squat shoes might help.

Chicks are always more bendy than guys I the hips.

If I did a squat like that with weight, I would not get back up. I'd fail it hard, and would not doubt have exploded a disc if I rounded that far in the hole. But I had the same issues when I started a short bit ago. I learned with the help of a few locals and the guys here on the SD&F.

Look at the Untamed Strength YouTube page and watch all of his squat stuff. Including Your Back Is Whack. Stretch them hams out. Try elevating your heals. Stick your butthole out in the bottom of the squat like you really want a healthy pegging. Get rid of that but wink.

And keep your hands strait with your arm. You may need to widen your grip and go thumbless if your chest and shoulders are tight.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#35]
You know whats predictable and funny is that I thought I was doing squat great and that she was worse than me .  

You are right, if I go ass to grass I wink bad even with weights under my heals.  So I tried to not go as low.  Another video from this morning.  I am still doing it (my hips turn in at the bottom of the squat).  So I am going to practice tomorrow with an empty bar and try to work it out.  I probably need to roll back the weight a bit and just focus on form.  I watch the video and I do see that I am keeping the bar over my feet so that is something positive I think.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You know whats predictable and funny is that I thought I was doing squat great and that she was worse than me .  

You are right, if I go ass to grass I wink bad even with weights under my heals.  So I tried to not go as low.  Another video from this morning.  I am still doing it (my hips turn in at the bottom of the squat).  So I am going to practice tomorrow with an empty bar and try to work it out.  I probably need to roll back the weight a bit and just focus on form.  I watch the video and I do see that I am keeping the bar over my feet so that is something positive I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSdafq59KOk

View Quote

That's much better. Stop looking up.

Put your hands more of top of the bar. You are doing low bar, right?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks Kaik.

This reminds me of the first time I went shooting.  There are so many things to be aware of its overwhelming and then one day you aren't thinking about some of them and its just happening and then one day most everything is just natural.

I will work on the looking up thing and hand position.  Looking at the still frame now my hands look awkward, idk why I naturally do that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#38]
When I unrack my intention is to do low bar but sometimes I let it sit too high because I feel more comfortable there.  

I am guessing I need to move the bar a little farther from my neck?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When I unrack my intention is to do low bar but sometimes I let it sit too high because I feel more comfortable there.  

I am guessing I need to move the bar a little farther from my neck?
View Quote

Yes. Low bar is supposed to sit on your delts. High bar sits on your traps.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks Kaik.

This reminds me of the first time I went shooting.  There are so many things to be aware of its overwhelming and then one day you aren't thinking about some of them and its just happening and then one day most everything is just natural.

I will work on the looking up thing and hand position.  Looking at the still frame now my hands look awkward, idk why I naturally do that.
View Quote

Watch this 87 times. Then watch the rest of Allens squat videos. At 8:20 ish he talks about hands. See how the wrists are strait with the arms? I have to go thumbless like he does. Widen your grip. Drop the bar down on your lats.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Great advice, thank you!  Wed morning is the next workout.  I will take another video.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Lots of good comments so not much to add. Not that I am any expert.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I would recommend some stiff shoes. Weightlifting or even some Nike Metcons. I prefer metcons over nanos for squatting.

The squishyness of tennis shoes will work against your efforts, even with the elevated heel.

You need a nice firm base to allow you feet (heel) to press into the ground.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Balance over the midfoot drill.  Same concept regardless of bar placement.

http://yashathoughts.com/check-your-balance/

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Balance over the midfoot drill.  Same concept regardless of bar placement.

http://yashathoughts.com/check-your-balance/

View Quote

That's cool.  Good idea.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Okay, lowered the bar on my back and I rotated my hands and stopped using my thumbs.

A couple things

1)  It felt incredibly awkward for the first two sets of 5.  I thought the bar was going to roll off my back.
2)  After the first two sets squatting was easier.  Felt like even with the added weight for the day I could lift more.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Okay, lowered the bar on my back and I rotated my hands and stopped using my thumbs.

A couple things

1)  It felt incredibly awkward for the first two sets of 5.  I thought the bar was going to roll off my back.
2)  After the first two sets squatting was easier.  Felt like even with the added weight for the day I could lift more.
View Quote

Nice.  As you develop more muscle in you back, delts and traps it will sit better and feel pretty good.  Low bar feels like cheating, because it is.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#47]
It is already feeling more comfortable with the bar lower.  

I still want to lift my chin and look somewhere higher with every exercise but the SO now stands there for every rep and yells at me when I do it.  Eventually I will not need to think about it.

I am glad the program starts you off with fairly low weight.  I think that has kept me from killing myself while learning form.  SQ, ROW, OHP are finally getting a little challenging.  BP, DL are still stupid easy.  I actually started with a higher bench press than squat and squat overtook that pretty quickly (as it should).

Current weights:

SQ 5x5 @ 57.5 kg (126.7lbs)
BP 5x5 @ 50 kg (110lbs)
ROW 5x5 @ 40kg (88lbs)
(seated) OHP 5x5 @ 30kg (66lbs)
DL 1x5 @ 60kg (132lbs)

I watched that Allan Thrall guy's youtube videos on all the exercises.  Thanks for the suggestions.  

As for stretching... I don't do anything except warm up before the morning's exercises.  What should I be doing?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As for stretching... I don't do anything except warm up before the morning's exercises.  What should I be doing?
View Quote

What do you need to work on?  Adapt what is useful........

Chinese

Polish

Russian

Egyptian (stretching @ 13:55)
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#49]
SQ 5x5 @ 65 kg (143.3lbs)
BP 5x5 @ 55 kg (121.25lbs)
ROW 5x5 @ 45kg (99.2lbs)
(seated) OHP 5x5 @ 32.5kg (71lbs)
DL 1x5 @ 70kg (154.32lbs)

Seated OHP is getting... hard...

Haven't failed yet on any other exercise and missed just one rep on OHP.  

BP is still super easy but I am not rushing things.  I think once I get to 135lbs I will start being challenged.

Still want to knock my neck out of neutral (look up) but its corrected as soon as it happens.

Injury free and making progress...
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#50]
SQ 5x5 @ 80 kg (176lbs)
BP 5x5 @ 60 kg (132lbs)
ROW 5x5 @ 50kg (110lbs)
(seated) OHP 5x5 @ 37.5kg (83lbs)
DL 1x5 @ 85kg (187lbs)

Still going really well.  I can't believe I am squatting over 170lbs 5x5 already, I have never tried to even squat that much weight.  Anything over 135 would scare the shit out of me and now I look forward to it.  I am finally getting closer to what I used to bench press at.  I am looking forward to reaching new personal records there as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top