Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2016 4:00:30 PM EDT
So I'm a kinda in shape fatty. 5-10, 275ish. I can run a 10 min mile, do MMA kickboxing, etc. Problem is I'm getting close to 40 yrs old, and have bad knees and a jacked up back. I had someone tell me to look into rucking vs running, as it's easier on your joints. What say ARFCOM? Are there any benefits to rucking vs running? Is there a formula to figure out how much weight to haul around? Should I base my exercise on time or distance? Does it really matter?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Rucking and running are both terrible for your knees and back, especially at your weight.

Goruck says 30 lbs, though, if you wanted to go that route.

Honestly, though, why would you want to do those, over something with less impact to your body?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Concept 2 rower....

Rucking is worse on your body than running.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rucking and running are both terrible for your knees and back, especially at your weight.

Honestly, though, why would you want to do those, over something with less impact to your body?
View Quote

I have an elliptical at home, but I fucking hate it. Work is extremely busy, so I don't make it to kickboxing as much as I would like and am trying to get more cardio in. Kickboxing class is at certain times, so I'm looking to do something I can do whenever.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
What are your fitness goals?

I would say, unless you're 6' 10", you need to lose about 50 lbs before running or rucking.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would say, unless you're 6' 10", you need to lose about 50 lbs before running or rucking.
View Quote

I ran a 5k mud run a month and a half ago with no problems....... but I obviously need to lose weight. I'm also doing 5x5 3 days a week.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Diet is a HUGE part of fat loss.  I hate watching my diet as much as I hate running, but if strictly adhered to are extremely effective.  I dropped 25 lbs over last summer because I was on course and there was nothing else to do but work out and run.  After a while, I just didn't feel like eating crappy food to ruin my efforts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have an elliptical at home, but I fucking hate it. Work is extremely busy, so I don't make it to kickboxing as much as I would like and am trying to get more cardio in. Kickboxing class is at certain times, so I'm looking to do something I can do whenever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put a TV in the basement with my bike. If you can keep a 15 minute pace through a whole TV show, you're doing work.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I ran a 5k mud run a month and a half ago with no problems....... but I obviously need to lose weight. I'm also doing 5x5 3 days a week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!

What was your time?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea, I'll agree with the above.  Rucking will destroy your back and knees.  I'd just start with walking/jogging intervals.  Burn some calories by just being more active and getting outside.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are already doing 5x5 3/week i wouldnt worry much about running and rucking unless you have arace or big backpacking trip planned. Just do whatever light cardio you want or don't and let your miscles recover on off lift days.

I'm 6'2 195 and doing some running rucking now in prep for a race and an elk hunt it's hard on my knees, i would probably not do it at 275. I'd stick to diet lifting and walking.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Diet is a HUGE part of fat loss.  I hate watching my diet as much as I hate running, but if strictly adhered to are extremely effective.  I dropped 25 lbs over last summer because I was on course and there was nothing else to do but work out and run.  After a while, I just didn't feel like eating crappy food to ruin my efforts.
View Quote

I know. My wife doesn't cook, so I've taken up cooking as a hobby. I'm starting phase as many carbs out as I can.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I put a TV in the basement with my bike. If you can keep a 15 minute pace through a whole TV show, you're doing work.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0517_zpsdrufa8nr.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0517_zpsdrufa8nr.jpg

I gave up tv when I lost my first 75 lbs (I was at 350) and haven't gotten back into it. I was down to 250 at one point, but I was doing kickboxing 5-6 days a week then. That's just not possible now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nice!

What was your time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice!

What was your time?

Just under 35 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
as stated 87 times rucking is horrible for your joints and body even with a proper weight distribution and good pack. Rowing machine or swimming would be much more better. You will be much less sore swimming than rowing tho and IMO is a better workout for weightless.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I am probably going to be in the minority here but I say running is not that bad for your knees as most make it out to be. The key in running form, stride, and, like all things, moderation.

Just google "is running bad for knees" and you'll get some of the following...

http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/what-joint-docs-say-about-running/

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/why-runners-dont-get-knee-arthritis/

I will run about 20 miles a week. Some treadmill, some road. I will also run hills near my house with a 40lb Brute Force sandbag over my shoulders.

To date, I would say my knee's have IMPROVED with the running.

I think were people fail with running is multi-faceted. I think that too often, people will run in the wrong shoes. Many will forgo stretching, or active warmups. Many will run like they did in high school with the traditional heel-toe style.

One thing I have learned is that the common running shoe of a high heel and low forefoot are actually WORSE for us. They place too much stress on the hip and knee and put us out of alignment. The trend in running shoes is now moving to a low drop (less than 5mm between heel and toe) and most experts agree that running should be done on the forefoot, NOT the heel. **Look at a baby or toddler run. They do not run heel toe.

Besides footwear, most recreational runners will fail to adequately hydrate, rest and recoup. After a road run, the next day could be a ruck or short run on a treadmill.

Foam rolling and trigger point release is also going to be very important. Flexibility in the hips will be critical.

If there is one thing I have learned from Crossfit and functional training is that mobility will help with all physical activity, not just lifting weights.

And another thing regarding knee pain...my knee pain, my ortho doctor said was caused by bone on bone. Okay. Well, I looked at treatments like Graston, foam rolling, and my knees are great now. Not to mention that weak hamstrings also contributed to my knee pain. Simply throwing in some lying leg curls helped tremendously.

Anyways, running gets a bad wrap but if one educates themselves about it, trains properly, and uses good form, good shoes, you might find that it's not all that bad on your knees after all.

Flame away!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
This is arfcom.  Do both
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Personally I prefer rucking to running, but I drank the Goruck Koolaid a long time ago, so take that FWIW.

I feel as though I am stronger and have better posture from it, but I have no scientific proof.  I'm sure if you were humping the amount of weight the Army does it would cause some damage, but 30# and under should not cause any problems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Personally I prefer rucking to running, but I drank the Goruck Koolaid a long time ago, so take that FWIW.

I feel as though I am stronger and have better posture from it, but I have no scientific proof.  I'm sure if you were humping the amount of weight the Army does it would cause some damage, but 30# and under should not cause any problems.
View Quote

Doing my first "tough" 1st quarter 17
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!!  You'll love it. I just completed the 9/11 Tough and Light last weekend and it was a good time.

I'm shooting for my first Heavy in June.  I'm hoping it forces me to get in much better shape.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#23]
If you can run at least a 10 min mile, I wouldn't worry about running, just to improve at running.  I also wouldn't regularly do rucks.  But I think doing one every once and a while to make sure that you can do it, if necessary, is good.  

Instead, clean up your diet and do some sort of a strength routine.  Because every man should be strong.  And you'll be able to ruck better/farther with a stronger and leaner body.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
hey I have all that stuff too!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hey I have all that stuff too!

I know, it's actually a picture of your gym at your house. I've been living in the crawl space for years.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you live in someplace with reliable snow cover in the winter, cross country skiing, even around a park or golf course, will burn ridiculous amounts of calories and be a lot less boring.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Cardio doesn't make you lose weight, making your body burn ketones does.

Cut all carbs now. For your knees' sake, wait until you're like 225 to start running.

This is coming from someone that was 260 at 5'11 right around 2.5 years ago.  I cut down to 165ish in a little over a year via diet, and have been lifting and adding muscle since.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clean up your diet.  Most folks find it easier to stick to a low carb / high fat diet than the converse.  Primal Bluepring Quick and Easy Meals has several tasty low carb meals that are easy to fix.  The Wild Diet is also good and the author's podcast is informative.  Bottom line for diet - lots of leafy green/cruciferous vegetables, quality fats (pastured/grass fed meats, pastured eggs, wild caught fish, olive/coconut/avocado oils), and limited fruits.  No processed food.

Keep your kick boxing when you can get to it.  Strength train 2-3 times per week.  When you can't kick box, go for a 30 minute walk after you eat, at least in the morning and evening.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I would focus on unloaded walking until you drop some weight. Even if you're capable of running now; the risk of injury at your weight is very high. Walking like half an hour everyday would be a good start, or every other day if that's causing any aches and pains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top