Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 4:54:15 PM EDT
June 2014 225, started Crossfit and an ok diet.
June 2016 175, did a workout with #50lbs vest just to reinforce not going back.
Off the BP and cholesterol Meds.
My point is that it is doable.
I'm 56.
Zone diet now, paleo based.
Only buy food with one ingredient.
It is not easy or fast.
You have to want it.
I would say good luck, but luck has nothing to do with it.

" />
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Good work put in there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That's awesome.

Could kick the majority of 25 year olds asses at just about any physical challenge and wouldn't die within a week of TEOTWAWKI.  That is motivation.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I went and saw the New Star Trek with the wife, the fat bodies in there made me weep for humanity, your post has given me back some of that lost hope
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Solid. You did almost exactly what I'm trying to do.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the things I learned during this process were:
Exercise:
- Find an exercise program you "like" enough to stick with.
- Some combination of weights and cardio.
- I simply can't stay motivated to workout on my own.
- I need the group/team atmosphere of something like crossfit.
- I'm not saying crossfit is the answer but for me it works.
- You have to find something that you look forward to doing not dread.
- If I go 2-3 days without a workout now I am "jonesing".

Diet: Wow this is such a hard thing to get your arms around.
- Before you start a diet I would recommend weighing and measuring everything you are currently eating.
- I use my fit pal and track protein, carbs and fat.
- This will do several things; a) it will open your eyes to exactly what the content of a given food is you normally eat, b) It will show you what your balance of Protein, carbs and fat are.
- Once you know what you are really eating you can make some decisions to modify.  Worry more about balance of these three than just calories.
- Things I learned; a) carbs from sugar are worthless, b) most diets are carb deficient, c) If your carb intake is too low you simply cannot control your built in survival instinct to eat. d) On Strict Paleo it is very hard to get enough carbs. I add white rice to supplement my carbs.

1-2 lbs per week weight loss goal.
If what you are doing is not working then do something different.
Weight loss without strength training will result in being "skinny-fat".
Stay away from all prepackaged food!

Being physically fit and controlling your weight is = "Freedom" to do what you want!
My Daughter's wedding, 2 July, Central Park. I sure hope my new son in-law makes some changes.
Left to right; Step father, new son in-law, his father, me.
" />
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent work!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
That is great!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Heck ya.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Very good job.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m 70 and retired.  My motivation is based on traveling.  
When my wife and I are exploring chateaus and castles in Europe, we have to be in shape.  No one was installing elevators in those things 500-1200 years ago.  
We just spent a few days hiking in the Rockies at 6,000 to 8,500 feet – and we live in Florida.  I’ll never curse the StairMaster again.

So, it’s three workouts a week at the gym and eating ½ to 2/3 of what I want.  
It’s all worth it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m 70 and retired.  My motivation is based on traveling.  
When my wife and I are exploring chateaus and castles in Europe, we have to be in shape.  No one was installing elevators in those things 500-1200 years ago.  
We just spent a few days hiking in the Rockies at 6,000 to 8,500 feet – and we live in Florida.  I’ll never curse the StairMaster again.

So, it’s three workouts a week at the gym and eating ½ to 2/3 of what I want.  
It’s all worth it.
View Quote

You just described the part I left out; "Freedom"
Keeping your weight under control and maintaining a good level of fitness results in "the freedom to do what you want!"
Instead of being limited or otherwise trapped by your body.
Within reason of course.

Good for you and your wife, enjoy your lives!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#13]
74yrs old  here I workout at Orange Theory Fitness 3-4 days a week been doing it since Oct 2012. Started YouFit 2-3 days week late 2014 stopped when I tore my right bicep and fucked up my elbow. I was trying to lift heavy like the big boys. I stopped YouFit Sept last year and have just started to go back. I am doing lighter weights with up to 25 reps if I can't do at least 20 reps I drop the weight down. Old muscle and bones get fucked up faster and stay that way for a long time.
I now need to look at my diet I am 20 lbs too heavy and it's not muscle. I can't control my cholesterol and can't take any statins and the other stuff screws up my stomach. I try to stay away from saturated fat now just have to cut calories.

Most people are shocked when I they I tell them my age. I talk about what I do to as many people who will listen to show them you are never too old.

Stroke in 2004, seizures 2005, prostate out (cancer) 2010, hole in my heart plugged Apr 2012, right knee cleaned out in 2014.  Valves in veins in both legs not working well. I am not in perfect health and don't want to think about were I'd be if I stopped working out.

After watching me my wife who is 9 yrs younger 3 yrs ago stopped smoking and started working out at Orange Theory Fitness 2-3 days a week.

OP great job you have got to be an inspiration to those around you. Keep it up as you realize stopping is not a option to being healthy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Good Job!  

You got yoked Captain Picard.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuckin great job, OP!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#16]
good job man

Quoted:b) most diets are carb deficient, c) If your carb intake is too low you simply cannot control your built in survival instinct to eat. d) On Strict Paleo it is very hard to get enough carbs. I add white rice to supplement my carbs.
View Quote

i can't agree with this bit as i eat almost no carbs and am never hungry
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
good job man

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
good job man

Quoted:b) most diets are carb deficient, c) If your carb intake is too low you simply cannot control your built in survival instinct to eat. d) On Strict Paleo it is very hard to get enough carbs. I add white rice to supplement my carbs.

Congratulations! You are truly the first perpetual motion machine!
Seriously though, you can't really think this.
Do you track your protein, carbs and fat? As in weigh and measure everything?
If so, how about giving me some of your numbers with an average day's food intake.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If so, how about giving me some of your numbers with an average day's food intake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
good job man

No sense derailing this thread into another Keto discussion. Refer to the Keto threads for specific discussion/debate, that's what he's talking about. I will say that I'm using Keto to cut my first 25 and he's right, you're not hungry as long as you are low enough carb.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
good job man

so about 8 grams of net carbs. I dont count fiber.

I really don't bother tracking everything anymore. This is about what i will eat today and is very close to what i eat pretty much everyday.

I lift 3 days a week run or bike or walk or do accesory lifts or something the other days.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
good job man

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/Screenshot_2016-07-31-12-00-15_zpsr7wdsunn.png
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/Screenshot_2016-07-31-12-00-31_zpscwyieoqc.pngso about 8 grams of net carbs. I dont count fiber. http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/Screenshot_2016-07-31-12-00-48_zps6yxzimci.pnghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/Screenshot_2016-07-31-12-00-52_zps4iwby0ta.png
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/Screenshot_2016-07-31-12-01-20_zpsr4mn6xk7.png
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/Screenshot_2016-07-31-12-01-24_zpsosgqbhf1.pnghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/Screenshot_2016-07-31-12-01-28_zpsgmi5yrcf.pnghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/Screenshot_2016-07-31-12-01-32_zps0ylkkrag.png

I really don't bother tracking everything anymore. This is about what i will eat today and is very close to what i eat pretty much everyday.

I lift 3 days a week run or bike or walk or do accesory lifts or something the other days.

WOW, I'm always open to new information. How about some data on the long term effect on Cholesterol?
I was taking Lipitor for 9 years and have been off them for over a year now.  Don't want to go back. Since this is a motivational thread, how about some before and after pictures of your progress?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I would look to the book cholesterol clarity for more information. There are some studies out there. In general they show an increase in hdl (good cholesterol) increase in particle size for ldl (also a good thing) and a reduction in vldl. Eta decent article with cites http://www.ruled.me/the-ketogenic-diet-and-cholesterol/

I don't have any sciency shirt off pics in the same pose but ill see what i can find. Was 230ish at some point last i checked about 3 weeks ago i was 198

After pic is a bit outdated already but i don't seem to have anything more recent on fb and dont feel like cleaning my mirror to take a selfy

I think this is a little more recent...
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Outstanding
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats on your progress Obo2.
The high fat doesn't feel right to me.
Moderation of Protein, carbs and fat does.
I've learned over the years my instincts are usually the right answer for me.
I'm happy with my progress and think I stick with what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Congrats on your progress Obo2.
The high fat doesn't feel right to me.
Moderation of Protein, carbs and fat does.
I've learned over the years my instincts are usually the right answer for me.
I'm happy with my progress and think I stick with what I'm doing.
View Quote

Seems to be working just fine for ya keep it up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top