Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 1:49:24 PM EDT
EDIT: If you visit ruled.me and think this looks familiar I also posted it over there but that board does not have near the traffic of good ol' arfcom!

I'm new to keto and have been making the change for the last couple of weeks. I'm currently 48 years old, 5'10 and 250lbs. I do not have diabetes but my wife does, (type 2). I have been using her glucose meter to check my blood and it stays in the low 100's, (around 102-ish). I'm down about 10 lbs over the last 2 weeks due to the change in my eating habits. I've had NO bread, rice, potatoes, or other sugary/starchy foods at all during this time. I feel great and I don't get as hungry as I used to when eating lots of carbs. We've also been walking several times a week, (2.5+) miles each time.

A few things I've noticed and a few questions I would like to ask. First, I've read quite a bit about keto over the last few weeks. One of the things specifically is the "keto flu". So far I have not had anything remotely close to this. Is that because I haven't fully started to adapt yet? I've been monitoring my ketones with the urine strips, (I know, they aren't accurate but they could at least give me an indication if I'm headed in the right direction). Some days the indicator says I have "moderate" ketons, other days it shows "small".
No biggie. Regardless, I know my eating habits have changed and I feel good, so that's what matters, right?

Also, last week I had a yearly check up with my doctor, (been a few years since my last one and this was with a brand new doctor I had never seen before). The doctor came in and he was actually more overweight than I am, BUT, he is a good doctor. We did the usual things during the physical and my blood was also drawn.
A few days later I get a letter in the mail from their office with the results of my blood work.

I would like to post some of the numbers listed in the report. I AM NOT asking for or seeking medical advice about this on this internet forum. I'm simply posting these to see what our more experienced keto folks have to say about it and how it will/could/should/possibly change with this new lifestyle change I am doing.

Anyway, it shows:

Cholesterol 226.0 (range shows that is should be 0.0-199.0)
Cholesterol/HDL ratio 5.8
HDL 39.0
LDL calc. 164.2
non-HDL Cholesterol calc. 187.0
Triglyceride 114.0
VLDL calc. 22.8

Of course I'm no doctor so I can't exactly say whether these are good or bad. What I can say is that from what I've read about keto is that over time cholesterol tends to improve in some people.

Also, included with the letter that came in the mail was a pamphlet from the American Heart Association titled, "An Eating Plan for Healthy Americans". Again, after reading up on the science behind keto it pretty much tosses EVERYTHING we've been taught over the last few decades out the window.
I find it hilarious that on page 2 of this "healthy eating plan" the first 2 bulleted points are 1. Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables, 5 or more servings per day. 2. Eat a variety of grain products, including whole grains, 6 or more servings per day.

Bullet point# 3 is "Include FAT FREE and LOW FAT milk products, legumes (beans), skinless poultry, and lean meats.

Bullet point# 4 is "Choose fats and oils with 2 grams or less of saturated fat per tablespoon such as liquid and tub MARGARINES, canola, olive, corn, safflower, and soy bean oils.

Most of these are part of the reason that we, as a country, are in the current shape we are in, (in regards to obesity and diabetes)!! Yet here we have one of the "leading" medical associations in the country pushing poor food choices on us everyday

I just thought I would share a brief background on myself, my numbers from a recent doctors visit, and my first hand observations.

I welcome any comments and input in regards to my blood work listed above.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
on the strips, you're either in ketosis or not (either they turn color or they don't).  if they turn color you're good.   The levels don't matter (for this).

Not everyone gets the keto flu.  

I lost 150lbs in 18 months on keto.

I do a pretty simple routine.  meat, cheese, green leafy vegatables.  I don't go very often for all the fancy stuff that keto appears to have become with fake sweeteners, etc.

I make eggs and bacon for breakfast.  Usually leftovers for lunch (or no lunch, I"m good with that when I'm on keto) and some type of meat with a veggie.  grilled, baked, broiled, fried, whatever

tonight I"m making meatloaf and probably brussel sprouts.  easy, simple to maintain and good.

Keto does NOT reward cheating, just FYI.  don't worry, you'll understand when you do it.  

Rule #1, never trust a keto fart.

once you learn what's no/low carb in the store, you won't have to pay so much attention, but at first, read every freaking label. Even things you wouldn't think have carbs are full of carbs.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
on the strips, you're either in ketosis or not (either they turn color or they don't).  if they turn color you're good.   The levels don't matter (for this).

Not everyone gets the keto flu.  Ahh, ok. I was wondering if I had done something wrong because I feel great and today is 2 weeks exactly.  

I lost 150lbs in 18 months on keto. Fucking awesome man! I'm down at least 10 so far. May have dropped another pound or two the last couple days though.

I do a pretty simple routine.  meat, cheese, green leafy vegatables.  I don't go very often for all the fancy stuff that keto appears to have become with fake sweeteners, etc. Same here.

I make eggs and bacon for breakfast.  Usually leftovers for lunch (or no lunch, I"m good with that when I'm on keto) and some type of meat with a veggie.  grilled, baked, broiled, fried, whatever

tonight I"m making meatloaf and probably brussel sprouts.  easy, simple to maintain and good. I'm a bacon/sausage and egg guy too. Although lately I haven't been eating breakfast and just drinking a big plastic cup of "bullet proof" coffee. Butter, cocnut oil, vanilla and heavy cream.

Keto does NOT reward cheating, just FYI.  don't worry, you'll understand when you do it.  Yeah, was talking with the company CTO today and he is also in keto. Said he does a re-carb about once every week or 10 days. The carbs pull water from his body and he said his legs hurt and he sometimes gets cramps from it. I think I limit those as much as I can.

Rule #1, never trust a keto fart. Yep, with all the spinach I've eaten the last 2 weeks I'm flowing pretty good now!! LOL

once you learn what's no/low carb in the store, you won't have to pay so much attention, but at first, read every freaking label. Even things you wouldn't think have carbs are full of carbs. Man, I went to Costco last weekend just to read labels. Spent a couple hours going up and down all of the aisles just to see what was keto friendly. Pretty eye opening when you pay attention to what pay attention to what you're buying.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the flu for a few days the first time I did keto. After that never got it again.

There are people who know way more about keto here than me but I don't think overall cholesterol means much.

Big keto thread here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top