User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

300 calories per hour on a stationary bike.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/lookup
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really proving your point, almost "everything" to do with losing weight is diet...

What kind of program do you recommend instead?

Well, if you want your routine to support weight loss, I would suggest something that focuses on calories burned.

That's exactly what I asked.  Currently gaining, but if I want to drop at some time, was genuinely wanting to know what kind of lifting routine someone might suggest differently than SL that is more directed at "burning calories."  (I am not insinuating SL is good for that, just looking for different experiences)

300 calories per hour on a stationary bike.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/lookup

OK, your answer is stationary bike?  Not saying cardio doesn't work, but weightlifting has done a LOT better job burning calories for me than any cardio stuff.  Muscle repairing itself is burning calories while you do rest.

The only tradeoff is that I find I need about 2X as much time to do a full body weightlifting routine--but since I have to rest at least 48 hrs in between, it evens out.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Last I checked, building muscle burns lots of calories. The resulting increased muscle mass burns more calories at rest. Ergo, get stronger.

Drop fat through diet (paleo/primal).

Do HIIT to support the fat burning.

Do not focus on some arbitrary number on a scale. Rely on the mirror/clothes fit. Focus on dropping fat, not weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really proving your point, almost "everything" to do with losing weight is diet...

Well, if you want your routine to support weight loss, I would suggest something that focuses on calories burned.

That's exactly what I asked.  Currently gaining, but if I want to drop at some time, was genuinely wanting to know what kind of lifting routine someone might suggest differently than SL that is more directed at "burning calories."  (I am not insinuating SL is good for that, just looking for different experiences)

Last I checked, building muscle burns lots of calories. The resulting increased muscle mass burns more calories at rest. Ergo, get stronger.

Do not focus on some arbitrary number on a scale. Rely on the mirror/clothes fit. Focus on dropping fat, not weight.

Thanks, I do kind of know all that, but was just curious if they were going after a high rep, low weight to failure (or the opposite) or more/less sets, some kind of overall approach or theory like that.  I went from 19% to 11.5% bodyfat in a year with just diet and lifting (same bodyweight within +/-5 lbs)-disclaimer, it was with those grip both hands $37 fat% machines, but I was fasted and fully hydrated both times, so hopefully at least a good "comparison" even if numbers aren't "good"
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK, your answer is stationary bike?  Not saying cardio doesn't work, but weightlifting has done a LOT better job burning calories for me than any cardio stuff.  Muscle repairing itself is burning calories while you do rest.

The only tradeoff is that I find I need about 2X as much time to do a full body weightlifting routine--but since I have to rest at least 48 hrs in between, it evens out.

View Quote

Stationary bike is not a program. Build your own program to reach your goals.

Losing weight is in the diet, like I said in the beginning. 5x5 by itself isn't going to burn huge amounts of calories. If burning calories is your goal, aerobic exercise for longer periods will do that.

That's all I'm saying.

Everyone seems to have some hidden agenda/ulterior motive in this thread. I'm just stating facts.

My goal is not burning calories, it's general conditioning, so I alternate HIIT with enough lifting to avoid moving backward in strength.

ETA: I'm a computer geek by trade - so take my advice with that in mind.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a hard time with that. I want the scale to move. My pants fit better. My shirts are filled out in the chest vs the beer gut. But I still want the scale to move.

Cutting sucks when you're pinning. You're building muscle as fast as dropping fat weight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm 34, and I have a similar expectation of not hurting myself.

I actually stopped my squats at 205, because that's adequate for me to achieve my fitness goals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, set back in every exercise, which is fine.  I am 42 years old and my primary goal is to not hurt myself.  If I can't do a rep, I'm not going to get injured trying.  

The first time I reached 225 on the deadlift, I slightly pulled a back muscle on my last rep.  I back up to 200 to let the muscle heal and am now back to 225.  I also run 9 to 12 miles a week, so when my runs are too close to my weightlifting it makes the squats really difficult.  

ETA: For those not familiar, if you don't make your 5X5 reps three straight days of workout, then it reduces you by 10%.

I actually stopped my squats at 205, because that's adequate for me to achieve my fitness goals.

I didn't complete 5X5 for 235 lbs squat three times in a row and downloaded to 205 lbs.  I am still doing them barefoot because my shoes aren't here yet.  

I think I am going to do what you are doing and stay at 225 lbs for my workout for a while.  That is a good weight for me to get all my reps, but still be a significant effort.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Put 5 or 10 lbs chips under your heels. But only play with lighter weight this way to start with. It changes the geometry of your squat. It takes a little getting used to it. Run up to 135 and maybe 185 with the plates under your heels to see how it feels to squat with an elevated heel.

I love the picture of Arnold squating four or five plates with a 2x4 under his heels. He didn't have 6 different name brand specialty squat shoes to choose from. So he used wood.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I didn't complete 5X5 for 235 lbs squat three times in a row and downloaded to 205 lbs.  I am still doing them barefoot because my shoes aren't here yet.  

I think I am going to do what you are doing and stay at 225 lbs for my workout for a while.  That is a good weight for me to get all my reps, but still be a significant effort.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, set back in every exercise, which is fine.  I am 42 years old and my primary goal is to not hurt myself.  If I can't do a rep, I'm not going to get injured trying.  

The first time I reached 225 on the deadlift, I slightly pulled a back muscle on my last rep.  I back up to 200 to let the muscle heal and am now back to 225.  I also run 9 to 12 miles a week, so when my runs are too close to my weightlifting it makes the squats really difficult.  

ETA: For those not familiar, if you don't make your 5X5 reps three straight days of workout, then it reduces you by 10%.

That's my current plan. What I like is that you aren't moving backward, you are in fact still getting stronger (squatting the same for a few weeks will get easier), just at a more slow pace.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's my current plan. What I like is that you aren't moving backward, you are in fact still getting stronger (squatting the same for a few weeks will get easier), just at a more slow pace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. In the absence of progressive overloading, your body quickly adapts to the load. Any strength "gained" is minimal, at best. And non-existent after a few workouts.

But you are correct in that you aren't moving backwards.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Meh. In the absence of progressive overloading, your body quickly adapts to the load. Any strength "gained" is minimal, at best. And non-existent after a few workouts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine strength gained would be minimal, that makes sense. I'm effectively in maintenance mode.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My femurs are too long for 3x5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5x5 is dumb.

3x5 is where it's at.

Have you considered femur reduction surgery?

I had a couple segments taken out of my spine to help my deadlift.  Long torso sucks for deadlifts.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had a couple segments taken out of my spine to help my deadlift.  Long torso sucks for deadlifts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5x5 is dumb.

3x5 is where it's at.

I crush deadlifts.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I crush deadlifts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5x5 is dumb.

3x5 is where it's at.

I crush deadlifts.

I crush donuts.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top