Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2016 11:07:27 AM EDT
Anyone doing this? Ive been on it for a few weeks and it seems pretty good.

Squats for days.. every workout day starts with squats.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Been doing it for going on 3 months.

I really enjoy it.

ETA: Doubled my 5x rep squat in 2 months.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
how are the gains? Have you been able to avoid injuries?

Do you work every other day or do you just do 3 times per week?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how are the gains? Have you been able to avoid injuries?

Do you work every other day or do you just do 3 times per week?
View Quote

Gains are great for the first 8 weeks and then it slows wayyy down.

I lift 3 days a week, and do cardio/sparring MA 3 days a week. One day for rest.

IMO, 5x5 is a great place to start for lifting and overall core strength. It shouldn't be your only fitness plan, though, and you need to be ready to branch out and addon as you see fit.

If you plateau on OHP, for example, and may people do, you should try other things to supplement.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked it when I did it last year.  I need to get back on that wagon.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, something to consider.

You should establish your goals before deciding on any fitness program.

For me, I wanted a very strong core so that it would open me up to some more extreme workouts like HIIT, etc.

5x5 is great for this.

If you're looking to be "buff" or be a power lifter, maybe not so much. If you're looking to lose weight, it's certainly not a good fit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's what I put together for me and my boy. It incorporates 5x5 into a larger plan.

**Day1**_______________

WEIGHTS
Squat5x5_______________
Bench5x5_______________
Row5x5_______________

>
4x sets_____-_____-_____-_____

Pull-Ups - 30 seconds_______________
Jumping Jacks - 60
Burpees - 20

Rest 1 Minute

WEIGHTS
Squat5x5_______________
OHP5x5_______________
Deadlift5x5_______________

>
?4x sets_____-_____-_____-_____

Sprint - 30 sec
Squat Jumps - 45 sec
Lunges - 20 each leg
Calf Raises - 50

Rest 1 Minute
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been doing it for 3 months.  I started light because I hadn't been lifting going into it.  

Exercise - start/current
Squats - 100/235
Bench Press - 75/145
OH Press - 35/90
Barbell Row - 45/120
Deadlift - 95/225

I bought the full app, I think it is worth it if you're going to really use it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been doing it for 3 months.  I started light because I hadn't been lifting going into it.  

Exercise - start/current
Squats - 100/235
Bench Press - 75/145
OH Press - 35/90
Barbell Row - 45/120
Deadlift - 95/225

View Quote

Absolutely! Worth every penny.

Did you have a setback? Your numbers should be higher after 3 months. Either way, those are fantastic gains man.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did you have a setback? Your numbers should be higher after 3 months. Either way, those are fantastic gains man.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exercise - start/current
Squats - 100/235
Bench Press - 75/145
OH Press - 35/90
Barbell Row - 45/120
Deadlift - 95/225

Oh yeah, set back in every exercise, which is fine.  I am 42 years old and my primary goal is to not hurt myself.  If I can't do a rep, I'm not going to get injured trying.  

The first time I reached 225 on the deadlift, I slightly pulled a back muscle on my last rep.  I back up to 200 to let the muscle heal and am now back to 225.  I also run 9 to 12 miles a week, so when my runs are too close to my weightlifting it makes the squats really difficult.  

ETA: For those not familiar, if you don't make your 5X5 reps three straight days of workout, then it reduces you by 10%.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, set back in every exercise, which is fine.  I am 42 years old and my primary goal is to not hurt myself.  If I can't do a rep, I'm not going to get injured trying.  

The first time I reached 225 on the deadlift, I slightly pulled a back muscle on my last rep.  I back up to 200 to let the muscle heal and am now back to 225.  I also run 9 to 12 miles a week, so when my runs are too close to my weightlifting it makes the squats really difficult.  

ETA: For those not familiar, if you don't make your 5X5 reps three straight days of workout, then it reduces you by 10%.
View Quote

I'm 34, and I have a similar expectation of not hurting myself.

I actually stopped my squats at 205, because that's adequate for me to achieve my fitness goals.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you're looking to lose weight, it's certainly not a good fit.
View Quote

Why do you think this?
I've been doing strong lifts on a cut for a few months and have been seeing great progress.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why do you think this?
I've been doing strong lifts on a cut for a few months and have been seeing great progress.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you think this?

Losing weight is in the diet. Lifting weights to get stronger adds weight because you're building muscle. The two can be done at the same time, but they are not supportive of each other.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Losing weight is in the diet. Lifting weights to get stronger adds weight because you're building muscle. The two can be done at the same time, but they are not supportive of each other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you think this?

To each their own.  
Through a calorie deficit, I have been very successful in dropping unwanted pounds.
Through lifting I have begun to see great physical improvements.  

I don't think that I have gained enough lean mass (or any who knows) to offset any weight reduction efforts.  
That said, I am more concerned with physical results than just hitting a number on the scale.  
I am almost done with my cut and can't wait to see how much stronger I can get when feeding at a slight surplus.  

Additionally, lifting while cutting helps reduce loss of lean body mass and will help keep your bmr higher (because of less lbm loss) in the long run.  

I would never discourage someone who is cutting to lift.  
I just wish I had done this 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#15]
5x5 is dumb.

3x5 is where it's at.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I did it for 2 weeks before pulling an abdominal muscle and quit to let that heal. Have  been slacking and haven't started again but I did download the app and plan to start...tomorrow.

No, seriously, I'm starting back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
5x5 is dumb.

3x5 is where it's at.
View Quote

It has that option too.  It also has 3X3 and 1X3 as an option.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5x5 is dumb.

3x5 is where it's at.

Obviously you haven't done 5/3/1. Workset 1x1.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

To each their own.  
Through a calorie deficit, I have been very successful in dropping unwanted pounds.

I don't think that I have gained enough lean mass (or any who knows) to offset any weight reduction efforts.  
That said, I am more concerned with physical results than just hitting a number on the scale.  
I am almost done with my cut and can't wait to see how much stronger I can get when feeding at a slight surplus.  

Additionally, lifting while cutting helps reduce loss of lean body mass and will help keep your bmr higher (because of less lbm loss) in the long run.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you think this?

To each their own.  

Oh I'm not discouraging him from lifting. I'm just saying that if you want to burn calories, there are better ways to do it. 5x5 is not that kind of program.

This supports my point.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually do 40 mins of cardio then abs before I start the lift.  I need to cut as well
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Jake, you should come by 54TC gym sometime before I leave.
View Quote

What is that ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I usually do 40 mins of cardio then abs before I start the lift.  I need to cut as well
View Quote

Less than optimal. I also go against the grain with some of the specifics in the advice given in this thread.

Age?
Wt?
M/F? (ETA: I assume "Jake" means you're M. )
Training history?
Training Goals? (Specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, timely)
Any major injuries?

The traditional linear progression (LP) programs like 5x5 and SS are great for dropping fat if you are too fat. Read Rippetoe's "Clarification" article on startingstrength.com.

Additional work (cardio, HIIT*, accessories) impede progress and are retarded for a novice starting an LP program. If you must do additional exercises to "feel" good, then do another program that's better suited for your goals. Just understand that you will not get as strong as quickly, and depending on goals, your overall progress may suffer. HIIT should be added later, as LP tapers off and you transition to intermediate.

Keep in mind that LP programs are geared to getting a novice as strong as possible, in as little time as possible. Deviating from the program...means you ain't doing the program. LP isn't meant to be a permanent program...just a temporary regimen to spur rapid muscle/strength gains.

Read Starting Strength. And the Practical Programming if you want to continue in the strength game and want to understand how the body works.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I actually stopped my squats at 205, because that's adequate for me to achieve my fitness goals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just failed on my third try at 235 lbs.  I am doing it barefoot though (see my thread on weightlifting shoes).  I should have my Chucks by my Friday workout, but I am going to go back to 210 and work back up.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Less than optimal. I also go against the grain with some of the specifics in the advice given in this thread.

Age?
Wt?
Training history?
Any major injuries?

The traditional linear progression (LP) programs like 5x5 and SS are great for dropping fat if you are too fat. Read Rippetoe's "Clarification" article on startingstrength.com.

Additional work (cardio, HIIT*, accessories) impede progress and are retarded for a novice starting an LP program. If you must do additional exercises to "feel" good, then do another program that's better suited for your goals. Just understand that you will not get as strong as quickly, and depending on goals, your overall progress may suffer. HIIT should be added later, as LP tapers off and you transition to intermediate.

Keep in mind that LP programs are geared to getting a novice as strong as possible, in as little time as possible. Deviating from the program...means you ain't doing the program. LP isn't meant to be a permanent program...just a temporary regimen to spur rapid muscle/strength gains.

Read Starting Strength. And the Practical Programming if you want to continue in the strength game and want to understand how the body works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Age?
Wt?
Training history?
Any major injuries?

How long do you think it is reasonable to stick with an linear progression program?  

My last 6 month history is I joined a year long fitness competition and weighed in at 250 lb (6'3").  I have consistently lost 1.5 lbs per week and am now under 215 lbs.  My only exercise from February to April was running.  I started 5X5 in mid May and am on week 12 of the program.  I still run 10-12 miles a week.  My goal is no longer weight, but a body fat of <15%.  I started at about 30% and am just under 20% right now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
HIIT should be added later, as LP tapers off and you transition to intermediate.
View Quote

Agree with this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
5x5 is dumb.

3x5 is where it's at.
View Quote

My femurs are too long for 3x5
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How long do you think it is reasonable to stick with an linear progression program?  

My last 6 month history is I joined a year long fitness competition and weighed in at 250 lb (6'3").  I have consistently lost 1.5 lbs per week and am now under 215 lbs.  My only exercise from February to April was running.  I started 5X5 in mid May and am on week 12 of the program.  I still run 10-12 miles a week.  My goal is no longer weight, but a body fat of <15%.  I started at about 30% and am just under 20% right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Age?
Wt?
Training history?
Any major injuries?

SS protocol is resetting your squat twice.  After that, recovery just can't keep up with stimulus.  

You can move onto a simple weekly progression program like Texas Method.  Or a more complicated monthly/undulating periodization like 5/3/1, Juggernaut, Cube(?), LSUS, etc.

We need to change the terms to be more descriptive of where people are at in their iron play experience:

Beginner - PR'n all day, erry day, #feelsgoodman
Intermidiate - Shit, I haven't PR'd in month, #whatswrongwithme, #doihavelowtest, #betterprogramjump
Advanced - motherfucker I haven't PR'd in two years and can only deadlift once a month, #rekt, #thestruggleisreal, #hemmoragewhensqwatting

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5x5 is dumb.

3x5 is where it's at.

Sad.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not strict with it, but I do 5x5 squats every day I workout. I tried 5x5 OHP today and liked it, so that may become a daily excersize too. 5x5 deads on leg day, and 5x5 bench press on upper body day.

One day I might put it all together and actually do this program as intended
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm not strict with it, but I do 5x5 squats every day I workout. I tried 5x5 OHP today and liked it, so that may become a daily excersize too. 5x5 deads on leg day, and 5x5 bench press on upper body day.

View Quote

Stronglifts doesn't do 5x5 on Deads. When you squat 5x5 on the same day, you're fine with a 1x5 on deads.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Stronglifts doesn't do 5x5 on Deads. When you squat 5x5 on the same day, you're fine with a 1x5 on deads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Gotcha.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.

You gonna love 5x5. I do.

I'm on 60-something days, and it's great. I use it more for just maintaining core strength while I focus on other fitness goals.

I hung my 20ft climbing rope yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I liked SL5x5. But I had complications with the squat volume when the weights got heavy. So I went to 5/3/1. I really love it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm on 60-something days, and it's great. I use it more for just maintaining core strength while I focus on other fitness goals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.

I need to start with the actual program. I'm all about strength right now and gaining
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I liked SL5x5. But I had complications with the squat volume when the weights got heavy. So I went to 5/3/1. I really love it.
View Quote

I am sort of getting to that point, failed on my 3rd attempt to get 235 lbs 5X5 (in my bare feet though, see my weightlifting shoes thread).  Another poster in the thread said he stopped at 205 lbs and just does 5X5 of that weight.  I may do that to, probably with 225 lbs or so.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#37]
After a decade layoff from lifting, I started with 5x5 and felt like 5 worksets was too much volume for my 47 year old body to recover from. I've dropped to 3x5 and seem to be doing a lot better.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I am sort of getting to that point, failed on my 3rd attempt to get 235 lbs 5X5 (in my bare feet though, see my weightlifting shoes thread).  Another poster in the thread said he stopped at 205 lbs and just does 5X5 of that weight.  I may do that to, probably with 225 lbs or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoes will help, but won't let let you just add weight. You might need to drop back a hair to learn how to rework your form a hair to use them properly.

If you're failing lifts, deload. Drop back to 75%, and work your way back up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Exercise - start/current
Squats - 100/235
Bench Press - 75/145
OH Press - 35/90
Barbell Row - 45/120
Deadlift - 95/225

View Quote

I've been doing it off and on for the last year. Sometimes I get lazy and don't lift for a month. I've been back on it for the last month though.

Squats - 135/245
Bench - 135/190
OHP - Can't do due to the lowness of my ceiling. Tried doing mil press for a while but I don't have a flat back bench and just use a 2 post squat rack and it was starting to feel unsafe
Barbell row - 65/145
Deadlift - 135/365
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

SS protocol is resetting your squat twice.  After that, recovery just can't keep up with stimulus.  

You can move onto a simple weekly progression program like Texas Method.  Or a more complicated monthly/undulating periodization like 5/3/1, Juggernaut, Cube(?), LSUS, etc.

We need to change the terms to be more descriptive of where people are at in their iron play experience:

Intermidiate - Shit, I haven't PR'd in month, #whatswrongwithme, #doihavelowtest, #betterprogramjump
Advanced - motherfucker I haven't PR'd in two years and can only deadlift once a month, #rekt, #thestruggleisreal, #hemmoragewhensqwatting

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Age?
Wt?
Training history?
Any major injuries?

This. Especially the definitions. Beginner = novice.

BUT...the SS protocol is assuming you are doing nothing else. You will stall much earlier with all the additional work. The good thing about SL is that it allows you to reduce sets/reps to milk more of the progress. Normally I think SS is slightly better than SL, but not if you want to run. Add in fractional plates and you can probably reset 3-4 times.

Personally, if I wanted to do traditional cardio and/or MA, I would swap to a 5/3/1 format (4 day cycles) and do it 3x/week. Texas Method squat volume would suck while running. Granted, the last time I tried it my T was that of an 80 y/o.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.

What do you mean by "core strength"? Your torso or do you mean to maintain a baseline level of strength.

Either way...why did you cap squats so early? You could take them further without much negative impact to you other training (assuming MA). In fact, I think you would be more effective at your size. I speculate that going much beyond intermediate would fall within the "diminishing returns" curve. I think you've got more room before you have to worry about that.

I really want a climbing rope. Do you have a barn or is it just hanging in a tree?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Oh I'm not discouraging him from lifting. I'm just saying that if you want to burn calories, there are better ways to do it. 5x5 is not that kind of program.

This supports my point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you think this?

To each their own.  

This supports my point.

Not really proving your point, almost "everything" to do with losing weight is diet...

What kind of program do you recommend instead?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What do you mean by "core strength"? Your torso or do you mean to maintain a baseline level of strength.

Either way...why did you cap squats so early? You could take them further without much negative impact to you other training (assuming MA). In fact, I think you would be more effective at your size. I speculate that going much beyond intermediate would fall within the "diminishing returns" curve. I think you've got more room before you have to worry about that.

I really want a climbing rope. Do you have a barn or is it just hanging in a tree?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.

Core strength being the biggest muscles in your body - upper legs, butt, trunk. The muscles you need to do deadlifts, squats and rows. Those are compound exercises that engage tons of muscle groups simultaneously, all of which are in the core of your body. Compared to e.g. curls (which must be done in the squat rack)
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Core strength being the biggest muscles in your body - upper legs, butt, trunk. The muscles you need to do deadlifts, squats and rows. Those are compound exercises that engage tons of muscle groups simultaneously, all of which are in the core of your body. Compared to e.g. curls (which must be done in the squat rack)
View Quote

Great. That's your definition. The common definition relates to the muscles in the torso that stabilize the spine. I'm curious as to what he means.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Great. That's your definition. The common definition relates to the muscles in the torso that stabilize the spine. I'm curious as to what he means.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the correct definition of core.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Core body muscles like legs, abs, back, etc. is what I meant. I capped for now because I wanted to focus on gains elsewhere. I don't mind squatting more, but I'm trying to avoid injury (I had an umbilical hernia the size of a tennis ball a year ago).

Martial arts is part of it, but it's more just maximizing overall fitness than anything else. My main goals are centered around combat tasks.

My rope is hung in a tree. I setup a chain and such. I'll get a pic of it today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not really proving your point, almost "everything" to do with losing weight is diet...

View Quote

Well, if you want your routine to support weight loss, I would suggest something that focuses on calories burned.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, if you want your routine to support weight loss, I would suggest something that focuses on calories burned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I asked.  Currently gaining, but if I want to drop at some time, was genuinely wanting to know what kind of lifting routine someone might suggest differently than SL that is more directed at "burning calories."  (I am not insinuating SL is good for that, just looking for different experiences)
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I asked.  Currently gaining, but if I want to drop at some time, was genuinely wanting to know what kind of lifting routine someone might suggest differently than SL that is more directed at "burning calories."  (I am not insinuating SL is good for that, just looking for different experiences)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

300 calories per hour on a stationary bike.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/lookup
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I checked, building muscle burns lots of calories. The resulting increased muscle mass burns more calories at rest. Ergo, get stronger.

Drop fat through diet (paleo/primal).

Do HIIT to support the fat burning.

Do not focus on some arbitrary number on a scale. Rely on the mirror/clothes fit. Focus on dropping fat, not weight.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top