Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2016 3:53:27 PM EDT
The title is basically to get you in here.  Male, 32, 5'11.5", 235-240lbs, giant legs, love handles. Crossfit since 2008, and Crossfit Football since 2013, which I used to rehab from a SLAP repair.

I did my Crossfit Football Total today.  If you hate the program, there's lots of other threads to read.

Power Clean-240lbs
Squat-425lbs; 435 (f).  I should have tried 435 right off the bat.  425 is still a PR, but as soon as I unracked it, I knew I was going to crush it.  435 hit the safety strap on the way down, and I stayed down.
Bench-275lbs as a warm up rep, felt meh, then I tried 305 (f), which I got earlier this year, and then failed a bunch at 300lbs
Deadlift-505lbs, I don't have a way to fit any more weight on the bar, I probably could have lifted 515-525.  It went up pretty easily.

I went back to bench to see what I could do, but my CNS was fried.  I couldn't get 275lbs again.

So I guess it's back to 3x5 or 10x3 again for me.  I'm kinda pissed, 300lbs was a goal today, and though I've gotten it twice in the last few months, I feel like I've really regressed to a plateau.

So hit me up with a few suggestions for complementary exercises, or favorite programs.  I know that bench press is a controversial exercise, and 300lbs is a goal with no bearing on any form of reality except my mind, but tough luck, I want to break this plateau.

I've got just about everything a garage gym needs except for dumbbells.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the benchpress is controversial, but I don't think your bench is out of whack compared to your other lifts.

I use dips and I guess OHP for assistance work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think bench is controversial.  While doing crossfit floated around a 285 or so bench while my other lifts continued to improve.  I was benching once a week.  When I stopped doing CF, I got on a dedicated strength and hypertrophy program that had me not only benching, but doing chest assistance exercises, a lot of DB bench, as well as a lot of triceps and shoulder accessory stuff.  Pretty much everything you're not doing in CF.  In 6 months my bench has gone up to a 1RM of 335.  

You just need to do more chest, IMO, including more bench.  And incline.  And be patient.  Slow going on bench gains.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Bench is controversial if you're a main-site Crossfitter.  

As John Welbourne says, if they would have called it "horizontal press", Crossfitters would be all over it.  He blames the gym culture's love affair with it for the main-site's disdain for it.

My OHP is pretty good, my 5RM is 170lbs, and I've been flirting with 172.5lbs for a the last two months.

Patience is one of those virtues that I'm bad at.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As John Welbourne says, if they would have called it "horizontal press", Crossfitters would be all over it.  He blames the gym culture's love affair with it for the main-site's disdain for it.

My OHP is pretty good, my 5RM is 170lbs, and I've been flirting with 172.5lbs for a the last two months.

View Quote

I thought the only problem with it was the potential for decreased mobility making snatches and overhead squats more difficult.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought the only problem with it was the potential for decreased mobility making snatches and overhead squats more difficult.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My SLAP tear took care of overhead squats for me.  I think I'm back up to...145, maybe 155 on a good day?  And I'm touching the collars with my little fingers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do Jacked Street, which is what Welbourne programs for himself.  Just follow that programming and your bench, and all your lifts will go up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top