Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2016 11:01:23 AM EDT
So last Oct I ended up having knee surgery, my weight blew up and I am now at 265 Lbs and stand at 6'2, I am 45 yrs old.  I would like to get to a fit 230 lbs.  The knee still hurts now and then so I have decided to try swiming. I bought a fat guy swim shirt and some trunks and have descovered the apartment complex pool.

Just got back, so far I have been doing a few laps of a breast stroke and some flutter kicks by holding onto the side of the pool. The first day I did anything I got home and fell asleep on the couch. This morning I took it a bit easier cause I have to work today. Cause of not sweating it is hard to judge how hard I have been at it.

So any tips, pointers, ect.

Am I wasting my time in there ?

My arms are buring right now so I guess that is good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Weight loss is a battle won in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a coach

Learn to swim

Fix your diet.

You're not wasting time... But could be spinning your wheels.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I know little about swimming, but I'll just add that diet is going to be huge for you. Maybe consider some bodyweight stuff too like pushups and squats (if your knee can take it, sounds like it can't maybe) and such.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless the pool is 25 yards I wouldnt bother.   Too much time spent doing turns and pushing off the wall.

I would just tread water.   You can work your ass off with treading water drills between kick only with hands out of the water, hands/skulling drills, and even using a weight belt or a yoke.    Too easy?   Hop on the deck and do some push ups and sit ups every 5 minutes or so.

Have swam competitively most of my younger life through highschool and into college.    There was a time i was getting fatter and there was no way in hell the pool in my back yard would allow for "swimming".    But treading water in the back yard pool worked just fine.   Half hour a day of that helped in cutting weight a good bit relatively quickly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
inb4 people tell you you're doing it wrong if you're not squatting, dead lifting, olympic lifting and eating paleo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
inb4 people tell you you're doing it wrong if you're not squatting, dead lifting, olympic lifting and eating paleo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Because compound movements and eating clean is wrong.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially in the fitness forum.

OP, swimming can be a great exercise. As already stated, the real weight loss occurs in the kitchen. You can burn a bunch of calories in the water, but you come out hungry and ought to be set up for success rather than ripping open a bag of chips. Myfitnesspal is always recommended. It is a great tool. I recommend adjusting the macros to be heavier on protein and lower on carbs. There are many studies showing people who eat more protein while losing weight retain/gain more lean body mass than those who don't. The more muscle you have left when you get your weight down the better.

Ask questions and good luck!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a tether and swim in place, no turns, just swimming.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Eat right.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

No need to say that. Everyone knows that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the advice. I went out and down loaded the app that was talked about. It helped with picking out dinner tonight.   I will be back in the pool on monday. The weekends are to busy but I think I will go for a good walk.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Swimming is what I did for most of my knee rehabs. I was back on the field in 1/2 the time compared to others.

Go to the shallow end and run back and forth. If you've got a pool with a deep end, throw something heavy in and run it into the shallows. This will require cardiovascular endurance and lung endurance which who can't benefit from both of those?

Flutter kicks like you've been doing.

Float on your back and move to the edge of the wall and put your legs up on the deck. Now start doing sit ups under water. The resistance is pretty incredible.

And of course laps and laps. Get one of those waterproof ipods with waterproof ear buds. Will make something that's mind numbing at least somewhat bearable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Swimming is what I did for most of my knee rehabs. I was back on the field in 1/2 the time compared to others.

Go to the shallow end and run back and forth. If you've got a pool with a deep end, throw something heavy in and run it into the shallows. This will require cardiovascular endurance and lung endurance which who can't benefit from both of those?

Float on your back and move to the edge of the wall and put your legs up on the deck. Now start doing sit ups under water. The resistance is pretty incredible.

And of course laps and laps. Get one of those waterproof ipods with waterproof ear buds. Will make something that's mind numbing at least somewhat bearable.
View Quote

What kind of knee issues did you have?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Free style and backstroke. If you don't know how, it might be worth it to take a lesson from the local Y.

Beyond that, swimming is one of the highest burning cal workouts.  But you need to watch what you eat as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Weight loss is a battle won in the kitchen.
View Quote

Yep.  Working out may help,  but eating right is king
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck

That
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the late response.

I tore everything in both knees except the ACL. How that happened, I have zero clue. I tore 70% of the cartilage in both knees leaving me with 30ish. The doctor put pin holes in some bone hoping the bleeding would somehow turn to cartridge. (some science shit I didn't understand.) I currently have a torn meniscus and loose lcl in my right knee on top of the daily creaks, moans, and groans and my knee sounds like rice crispy treats or velcro being ripped apart when they bend. I can feel every weather front come in and it's really bad in the winter.
I do squats but I'll never get up to what I was pre injury. 250lbs sets of 10 is all I want to do and as heavy as I want to go. The stress at the bottom most part of the squat kills me and I will lock up and have to ditch the weights.
I've started biking with my wife for cardio so the pounding is minimal so I can wait it out until knee replacements.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fuck

That
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck

That

Lol.

I'm pretty sure that's how I swim, but the teather is invisible.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck

That

Lol.

Hahaa.
Luckily, I'm part fish. I was actually swimming in a full sized pool before I could walk and enjoy being in the water regardless of how I can be in it. One day I want to have either a pool with a tether system or a endless lap pool. Both will require alot of money either way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Eat fewer calories?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Eat fewer calories?
View Quote

Useless way to lose weight.   Cut insulin,  the fat storage hormone.   Proven with science.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I have been at it about three times a week and I am using the myfitnesspal app.  I am down about five pounds and I am feeling stronger. This may work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well I have been at it about three times a week and I am using the myfitnesspal app.  I am down about five pounds and I am feeling stronger. This may work.
View Quote

You need to change the macro nutritional goals in it to more athletic numbers.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Cutting caloric intake while increasing physical activity is a useless way to lose weight?  Who knew?

Edit to add: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/prevention-wellness/food-nutrition/weight-loss/what-it-takes-to-lose-weight.html

Quoted:

Useless way to lose weight.   Cut insulin,  the fat storage hormone.   Proven with science.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eat fewer calories?

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cutting caloric intake while increasing physical activity is a useless way to lose weight?  Who knew?

Edit to add: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/prevention-wellness/food-nutrition/weight-loss/what-it-takes-to-lose-weight.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Eat fewer calories?

Not useless, just shitty.  I could eat  only 3 things of Macdonald's fries a day and lose a considerable amount of weight. But I would look like a greasy turd.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Eat fewer calories?

Most people that try simply cutting calories fail,  for several reasons. And often end up heavier. And often lose muscle.   It's retarded.  Teaching the body to exclusively burn fat, for all but max effort activities,  smarter, safer, more successful, and saves muscle.  And fixes medical issues that simple calorie cutting can make worse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Another option is to actually read the article.  

Quoted:

Not useless, just shitty.  I could eat  only 3 things of Macdonald's fries a day and lose a considerable amount of weight. But I would look like a greasy turd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Eat fewer calories?

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Eat fewer calories?

Oh you mean the article that is filled with outdated information. Lol, low fat diet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Eat fewer calories?

I did. I'm still right, you're still missing the point. And you're advocating a dangerous diet because you don't know what you're talking about. know a little something about losing weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top