Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2016 3:00:42 PM EDT
So yesterday after my squat marathon I jumped on the treadmill to cool down. Dude next to me smelled like stale cigarettes and cologne. I moved one machine down and I could still smell him.
Seriously dude, stop smoking and take a shower.

And while I'm talking about gym dwellers, there's always the older ladies wearing too much perfume. I might be more sensitive to smells than other people, but it's really hard to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The unsolicited advice guy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Seen this one dude looked like a 80's Tom Selleck that lifts, mustache game was on another level.  So ol' Quigley here walks in with his own DB's, maybe 55's, okay.  Dude posts right up at a bench and starts getting his pump on.  I walk by to re-rack some weights and damn bro, Magnum either works as a garbage sorter or has been dumpster diving all fucking afternoon, I mean that sour and stale week old chicken and cabbage kinda shit.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I try really, really hard not to be that guy, even though I see some weird shit almost every day. I probably offer advice about 2x a year.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Whenever I go to the gym, which to be fair is a university gym where if they've ever heard of a deadlift it stops at "whoa, 2 plates bro, holy shit," I find myself quickly with plenty of space around me. Some sort of force field generated by clean and jerks or something.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Which is worse:  Too much cologne/perfume or the person who reeks of BO?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#6]
There's always the old people doing crazy stuff.  But at least they're trying.  The most annoying thing I've seen at my gym is about a 120 pound kid running on a treadmill making the damndest racket.  Slapping his feet.  I'm not even sure how you could possibly make that noise on a treadmill.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Out of shape middle age Asian guy doing martial arts In-between the machines then being offended when people walk past.
Yeah planet fitness.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
70 year old dude standing around naked in the locker room.

I went and took a piss then washed my hands and you are still standing there naked.  put that shit away!
I finish changing and now you are just now obnoxiously putting on socks?  Of all the articles of clothing to put on first, you chose socks?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
All those chicks that are half my size and squat more than me. Special snowflakes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Old people doing infinite reps of 5#s doing some weird exercise on a bench or something I want to use.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Old people doing infinite reps of 5#s doing some weird exercise on a bench or something I want to use.
View Quote

Ugh, this.  The back extension platform is next to the squat rack and there seems to be someone there doing some weird variations of back extensions in the way of squats.  Of all things to find a weird variation of, back extensions?

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll play, just my irritations of today.

Guy that decides that the dumbells arranged in ascending order is a stupid method of organization and decides to put them wherever the hell he sees fit.

Guy that grunts obnoxiously loud for no other reason than to draw attention to himself.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I try really, really hard not to be that guy, even though I see some weird shit almost every day. I probably offer advice about 2x a year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only time I say something is if I see someone about to hurt themselves.

When I was learning to deadlift a gymbro gave me some great advice, and I'm thankful for that.

I will add: incredibly overdressed Asian women. Not so much an annoyance, just really weird to see people wearing dressy clothes while getting sweaty.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cologne/perfume, since that is usually the worst kind of "get both" situation that does not really do anything to cover the BO.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When I was learning to deadlift a gymbro gave me some great advice, and I'm thankful for that.

I will add: incredibly overdressed Asian women. Not so much an annoyance, just really weird to see people wearing dressy clothes while getting sweaty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone is being legitimately unsafe to themselves or others I might ask them if they mind taking a couple pointers, usually it's a newbie who is great fun for advice.  Monday while doing bench I was told the form I was using would hurt my back (powerlifting form is what I use) and fortunately I was able to explain to the guy 1.  why it would in fact not cause damage to the spine and 2.  Why it was much easier on the shoulders.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#17]
how about these:

Guys that load 3 10# plates instead of a 25#+5#  
Girls that load a 5#, then a 2.5#, and then ANOTHER 5#  |l|

Mixed plates...some Ivanko Revolvers with Black Yorks
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I mostly work out at home or in the great outdoors, but I recently was traveling and used the (very nice) facility at the hotel gym.  There weren't even very many people in there but boy did I sure feel like I was on display at a meat market.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If someone is being legitimately unsafe to themselves or others I might ask them if they mind taking a couple pointers, usually it's a newbie who is great fun for advice.  Monday while doing bench I was told the form I was using would hurt my back (powerlifting form is what I use) and fortunately I was able to explain to the guy 1.  why it would in fact not cause damage to the spine and 2.  Why it was much easier on the shoulders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shouldn't squat bro, it'll blow out yer knees.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next time someone tells you that let them know

patellofemoral joint reaction force and patellofemoral joint stress are the same from 70 degree squat all the way down to 120 degrees.  Most leg press machines when done with approximate equal force will put the same load on your knees and is possibly higher if you lock your knees out.  

FWIW I have seen way more people injured on leg press than squats.

They usually just stare and mumble a bit then walk away.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Cologne/perfume, since that is usually the worst kind of "get both" situation that does not really do anything to cover the BO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy shit yes. I see this with women too (sorry ladies!).

Using a machine with a tiny minuscule weight and then just going after it for like 3 minutes at a moderate pace. Here's a clue, if you don't get tired doing it, it's not hard enough. For some reason this happens a lot on the chest fly machine.

I pulled a dick move yesterday. I west resting between sets of weighted dips with a 25 lb plate chained to me. Some doofus rolls up with his family and starts attempting to do dips. Goes down like 4"  and back up a couple times and then taps out. He was instructing them on the use of the "assisted dip/pullup machine" (only good place to do dips in my gym).

I said something like "try to get a little deeper into the dip" as I did my last 10 dips going down as far as possible. I kind of felt like a jerk showing him up in front of his family, but at the same time the poor kid would have never gotten a chance to see a proper dip. I probably would have been more restrained had he asked if he could work in.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only done it once when two total newbs set up next to me when I was deadlifting and looked like they were going to rupture a disk.

I prefaced it by saying "Hey, if you aren't interested then just tell me to shut up and go away, but can I offer you a pointer or two on form?..."

I don't complain about much at the gym, just this one kid I call Fat Joe, cuz well, he looks like the rapper Fat Joe. Does some circuit training crap and tries to use like 4 machines. I've jacked "his" cables before after he was gone for 5 minutes and he was like "uh hey bud I was using that" and I looked at him and replied "kinda looked to me like you were doing back extensions over there...", and he just scoffed and left. He also pulls a bench from the dumbbell area to set up next to one of "his" machines so he has a place to put his keys/phone/24oz Monster.

Most of the "SMH" stuff I see at the gym is just terrible form (dudes clearly working on a bodybuilding routine with isolation lifts but cheating every rep with too much weight by using momentum or their entire body instead, people not squatting low enough, etc).

I have seen a few cringeworthy things, like some guy doing some "shoulder exercise" where he flailed dumbells about. Made my rotator cuffs hurt more watching him than it does when watching someone roll their shoulders on DB shrugs. People squatting/benching in the Smith without the catches set (no way to dump it),
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was given a tip from a guy older than myself that potentially saved me serious spinal issues later in life. I really appreciated it because honestly I didn't realize what I was doing. Looked it up afterwards and sure as shit, he was spot-on. It was a 'learn from my errors' kinda deal.

There's a group of bros in the gym who are the noisemakers. They've all got earbuds in, and shout at each other so they can hear over each others' music. Every motion needs to make noise for them. That gets pretty annoying.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Staring at the camel toe on the chick doing crotch crampers on the scissor machine gave me a groin pull..................
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#26]
The people doing curls by flinging them up with their whole body instead of you know, contacting their bicep. By itself I would care, but it's always accompanied with yells and they always end up dropping the weights way too close to me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#27]
How about people who begin each lat pulldown by jerking their body backwards to get a little head start?

One thing that bothers me is people slamming weights- on cable machines. When the cables snap it takes them a couple weeks to fix it again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ugh, this.  The back extension platform is next to the squat rack and there seems to be someone there doing some weird variations of back extensions in the way of squats.  Of all things to find a weird variation of, back extensions?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a client in Minneapolis and used the LA Fitness during the week.

There was an older woman, in decent shape that I saw at least 3 times a week.

She would get on the roman chair and lock her leg(s) in and start doing these really strange ballet moves.  Like the pictures below...she did it fluidly as well, like she was transitioning between ballet stances on the roman chair.  It was a routine that lasted for 15 minutes.

It was one of the strangest things I've ever seen in the gym.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

She would get on the roman chair and lock her leg(s) in and start doing these really strange ballet moves.  Like the pictures below...she did it fluidly as well, like she was transitioning between ballet stances on the roman chair.  It was a routine that lasted for 15 minutes.

http://amazingballet.weebly.com/uploads/3/6/3/7/3637370/6789960.jpg

https://balletclassroom.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/ballet-dance-movement.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what a roman chair is, but my wife is always doing ballet stuff around the gym.  Kind of like a drummer tapping on everything constantly.  Just this morning, she went all cirque de solei on a pullup bar.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Mr shoulder shrug dumbbell guy shrugging one inch away from the rack.  
Just keep standing there blocking the empty slot I need to put these away in.
Not like I would like to set them down or anything.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not sure what a roman chair is, but my wife is always doing ballet stuff around the gym.  Kind of like a drummer tapping on everything constantly.  Just this morning, she went all cirque de solei on a pullup bar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check her temperature, she might be coming down with a case of crossfit
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roman Chair

I'm struggling to put into words what she was doing...imagine that machine and she's doing ballet positions on the equipment.   Leg extended behind her, leg extended in front of her holding it while putting her head to her knee.  Hands above her head and then going back to her sides.  All at the same time, rotating side to side like she's dancing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was given a tip from a guy older than myself that potentially saved me serious spinal issues later in life. I really appreciated it because honestly I didn't realize what I was doing. Looked it up afterwards and sure as shit, he was spot-on. It was a 'learn from my errors' kinda deal.

There's a group of bros in the gym who are the noisemakers. They've all got earbuds in, and shout at each other so they can hear over each others' music. Every motion needs to make noise for them. That gets pretty annoying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you hear them with your earbuds in?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#34]
People that don't unload their weights and people that do unload their weights but then stack the larger plates on top of the smaller ones.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
how about these:

View Quote

I'm guilty of the first one.

That last one drives me nuts.  I'll do laps around the gym looking for a match before I'll use dissimilar plates.  Same thing when putting them all away, it has to be in pairs on the stand, or if it's a split stand on both sides of the bench/rack they have to be arranged the same on each side.

I love a gym with a huge rack of hand weights to keep the dumbbells out of my way

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So yesterday after my squat marathon I jumped on the treadmill to cool down. Dude next to me smelled like stale cigarettes and cologne. I moved one machine down and I could still smell him.
Seriously dude, stop smoking and take a shower.

And while I'm talking about gym dwellers, there's always the older ladies wearing too much perfume. I might be more sensitive to smells than other people, but it's really hard to deal with.
View Quote

Don't go to the gym
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That last one drives me nuts.  I'll do laps around the gym looking for a match before I'll use dissimilar plates.  Same thing when putting them all away, it has to be in pairs on the stand, or if it's a split stand on both sides of the bench/rack they have to be arranged the same on each side.

I love a gym with a huge rack of hand weights to keep the dumbbells out of my way

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how about these:

You haven't lived until you've snatched with 2 10's on one side and a 20 on the other.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You haven't lived until you've snatched with 2 10's on one side and a 20 on the other.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
how about these:

I can handle mismatched plates as long as they're symmetrical
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread is why I have a garage gym.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Old man dicks in the locker room.

So fucking many old man dicks. And balls.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Old man dicks in the locker room.

So fucking many old man dicks. And balls.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#43]
1.  Old smelly dudes that don't clean the equipment after they done with it.
2.  People that use the gym as their social hour and hang around gym equipment without really using it.
3. People who think that showing up to a gym is good enough.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I do curls in the squat rack.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's cool as long as you have a raging erection while doing it.  Bonus points for stare raping
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's cool as long as you have a raging erection while doing it.  Bonus points for stare raping
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check aaaaannd check.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've never done curls in the squat rack, but occasionally I'll do military press in the squat rack. Why?
They don't have any other rack where you can position the bar that high, and the stand containing pre-made barbells only goes up to 110 lbs.

If I wanted to curl a straight bar with more than 110 lbs on it, I could potentially use the squat rack to do such a thing, although they do have curl bars and a separate rack for that.

Quoted:

Don't go to the gym

Why not? Most people don't smell bad at the gym, but a few of them do.
The equipment I use on a regular basis would cost me $6,000-10,000 brand new and I still don't have room for it at my house.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've never done curls in the squat rack, but occasionally I'll do military press in the squat rack. Why?
They don't have any other rack where you can position the bar that high, and the stand containing pre-made barbells only goes up to 110 lbs.

If I wanted to curl a straight bar with more than 110 lbs on it, I could potentially use the squat rack to do such a thing, although they do have curl bars and a separate rack for that.

The equipment I use on a regular basis would cost me $6,000-10,000 brand new and I still don't have room for it at my house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't go to the gym

Sounds like you need to add an addition. That's what I plan to do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Why not? .
View Quote

Because you're too sensitive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top