Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2016 1:04:32 PM EDT
Any beginner programs geared towards women?  I found this one through a quick Google search, but have no idea if it's any good or not.

M'lady wants to start working out, and is set on kettlebells because she could do it at home, since she doesn't have a lot of free time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any beginner programs geared towards women?  I found this one through a quick Google search, but have no idea if it's any good or not.

M'lady wants to start working out, and is set on kettlebells because she could do it at home, since she doesn't have a lot of free time.
View Quote

A bunch of us here did the 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge a few months back.  I liked it a lot, great conditioning and I mixed it with barbell lifts and really changed my percentage of fat (didn't lose weight, but the scale doesn't really matter anyway).

It's pretty tough though, so unless your m'lady is at least sorta ready for it, you might need to start with an easier program.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Women don't really need anything specifically different than men do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Noted.

So what generic kettlebell programs are recommended then?  Or are they generally only used to supplement actual weights?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, and I am a woman. Love my kettlebells.

I did the 10k swing program that was mentioned. There are lots of things that can be done with them though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I did the 10k swing program that was mentioned. There are lots of things that can be done with them though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your routine?  Looking for something I can just show her.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have any set routine. There are some things that I do pretty consistently; like swings, squats (goblet, sumo) dead lifts, Russian twists, shoulder presses. Other things I swap in just to change things up...sometimes I do get ups, windmills, rows, lunges. They are so versatile.

She on Pinterest? Do a search on kettlebell routines. Tons of ideas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I started doing some of the 10k swing yesterday. I've been out for so long I couldn't quite get 500 in yet but it seems like it's pretty good. I like that it has you doing other stuff between sets too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I started doing some of the 10k swing yesterday. I've been out for so long I couldn't quite get 500 in yet but it seems like it's pretty good. I like that it has you doing other stuff between sets too.
View Quote

How much weight on your KB?  I am thinking that I'll go back to doing swings twice a week with the lifting, but jump from a 55lb to 63lb KB.  I actually made some gains on my OHP when doing swings with the other lifts, like you I did swings to ease back into lifting after the cortisone shot in my knee.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How much weight on your KB?  I am thinking that I'll go back to doing swings twice a week with the lifting, but jump from a 55lb to 63lb KB.  I actually made some gains on my OHP when doing swings with the other lifts, like you I did swings to ease back into lifting after the cortisone shot in my knee.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

53 is all I have. I did 200 yesterday, may do the same again today and start bumping it up. 2-3 times a week sounds good right now until I can actually start moving some weight again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife and I sometimes do a fairly simple pyramid in the morning, takes about 15 minutes, I like it a lot when I can't think of what I want to do, or if I need something to complement a lifting session:

10 pushups
20 kb snatches (10 each arm)

30 situps/leg lifts

40 swings

50 bk OH squats (25 each arm)

40 swings

30 situps/leg lifts

20 snatches

10 pushups

She uses a 35# bell, I use a 50#, and it'll work you for sure. She also does a clean and press instead of a snatch.

Wife also really likes Keith Weber's Extreme Kettlebell series which despite an obnoxious name seemed to click very well for her. Digital download of that is a 5 spot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to completely wreck your lower body, try this.

10 minute time cap

goblet squats w/ a KB

min 1:   30 reps
min 2:  20 reps
min 3:  20 reps
. . .  all the way to 10 sets.

Try to keep the rest to 30 seconds.

Ideally it's a 30 min emom, but if you can't do it, you have a time cap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top