Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 6:14:30 AM EDT
I'm putting together a home gym for the Starting Strength program.

I have decided to get a Powerline PPR200x cage, and it will be placed on a typical platform of plywood and stall mats.

I have a few questions left that I'd like some advice on though.

Bars-  I am stuck between the Rogue Chan and the Rogue Ohio Oxidized.  I believe the oxidized finish would be more durable, but I have read that center knurling helps with squats.  The bar will be kept and used inside.  Thoughts and opinions on this would be appreciated.

Benches- Stuck between This and the Rogue Flat Utility.  The Rogue is $40 more shipped.  Opinions?

Plates- I was planning on picking up 45/25/15 pairs in OFW bumpers for $289 and then adding a set of  2.5, 5 and 10 iron plates for increases.  When I get stronger I could add more bumpers.  Should I go in a different direction here?

Any advice is appreciated, just want some outside opinions.

ETA: Pics of gym up lower in thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as bars go I have an oxidized Ohio, I wish I would have gotten a Chan bar when they sold them chromed. I hate zinc. If I was in the market for a new bar I would look hard at American Barbell's stainless offerings.

I've got the flat bench too and it's simple and bombproof, would buy again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for rogue flat bench. It's dope. Solid, no bolts, just a big heavy bench.

Between the two bars, I'd go Ohio. Not that there's anything wrong with the Chan, I just,center knurling = whatever. I never noticed a difference for squats. I make a big shelf with my traps and we're good to go. I would potentially find the center knurling annoying as hell for cleans, front squats, and presses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]
i have the rogue 1.0 bar, no center knurling. i like it. the knurling is wider so it doesnt tear up shins for DL. it is not detrimental for squatting. I use the base gym bars with center knurling and really don't notice a different. a few synthetic shirts have pulls from the knurling. Plus it wont tear your chest up doing cleans.

I also prefer the hi-temp crumb rubber plates. they are more bouncy and therefore quieter. I have the HG plates too, and they are stiffer, but louder when dropped.

The rogue bar/plate combos are pretty good too. the 230lb set is a good start. I added another pair of 45s and the gorilla 65s. Cant go wrong with rogue stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The powerline was my first rack.  It's a good rack, only reason I got rid of it was to make more space.

I have an Ohio - Black zinc.  The zinc will wear gray where it's most used.  Good all around bar, nice knurling, but I do wish it had the center knurl, would go with the Chan if I was buying again between the two.

For bumpers I did 45's and 25's at first.  After a round of SS, I got into Olympic lifting and slowly added more bumpers, 55's, & 35's, etc.

When you make your platform, don't glue it.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagging this for similar advice.  I ordered a Rogue Ohio Power Bar in bare steel and snagged some plates off of craigslist for cheap.  Where are you planning to get your PPR200x rack from?  Best price I've found is ebay so far.  I'm excited to start stronglifts 5x5.  I've never done a squat or deadlift with a bar in my life.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are you planning to get your PPR200x rack from?  Best price I've found is ebay so far.  I'm excited to start stronglifts 5x5.  I've never done a squat or deadlift with a bar in my life.  
View Quote

PPR200X Amazon  $339 with free Prime shipping.

Just ordered it this morning.  Got a pair of stall mats yesterday, going to get plywood this weekend.

Thanks for all the responses so far.  Planning on ordering a bar, bench, and weights over the next few weeks so feel free to keep the advice and opinions flowing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The powerline was my first rack.  It's a good rack, only reason I got rid of it was to make more space.
View Quote

Does the Powerline need to be bolted down or is it heavy enough on its own that it won't tip over?  Never owned one, sorry if this is a stupid question.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]
i have the rogue Olympic bar in polished chrome and the westside power bar.  if you get serious about training, you will want a separate bar for olympic lifts and power lifts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does the Powerline need to be bolted down or is it heavy enough on its own that it won't tip over?  Never owned one, sorry if this is a stupid question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have that same rack.  It does not need to be bolted down.  The rack is stable enough that it will not tip over.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have that same rack.  It does not need to be bolted down.  The rack is stable enough that it will not tip over.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never did mine either.  Slam a heavy squat into the uprights and you could probably scoot it a bit, but I wouldn't worry about it, probably get it rock'n with some kipping pullups too.....

Quoted:
i have the rogue Olympic bar in polished chrome and the westside power bar.  if you get serious about training, you will want a separate bar for olympic lifts and power lifts.

Very true.  And if you do decide to get a dedicated bar, save up, buy once.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I did the Rogue squat rack and Rogue bench

Bar was existing

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Rogue:

Ohio Bar, Flat Bench including shipping $507.35

Ohio Bar, Flat Bench, HG 2.0 bumpers 160lb set (45, 25, 10) with shipping - $772.42, or add a pair of 35's for a hundred more.

Amazon/Rogue:
Ohio Bar, Rep 1000 bench, OFW bumpers with shipping $758.78

I would go with the all Rogue option, it's $15 more for better stuff with a warranty.  I would want the 35 pounders as well, but that's up to you.  
I just went through all of this.  I picked the ohio power bar since my workouts will be mostly squats for the next couple years, and I like the center knurl.  I got the rogue bench too, with the HG 2.0 bumpers.  I'm trying to find a few steel plates locally on craigslist to supplement.  I'll pick up a dedicated olympic bar when I'm ready for all of that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Just an update on my process.

Planning on going Rogue for the bar, bench, and bumpers now after comparing prices as suggested by the post above.

The Powerline rack is on its way.

Got my platform built today.

4x 1/2" sheets of plywood
1x 4x8' sheet of 3/4 MDF
2x 4x6' horse stall mats

No glue, just screws.

The cage will sit on the wide area, the narrower area (37") is for deadlifts, etc.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#15]
looks good. i never got around to building a platform, just two 4x6 stall mats and the rack on concrete.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Center knurling for squats tears the shit out of your back once you get heavy.

Don't bother.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't bother.

View Quote

I like having it for the texture feedback so I can make sure the bar is centered correctly. I don't feel like it offers any real grip and I definitely don't notice the knurling compared to smooth portions during the lift.

Edit: when you say it tears up your back, do you mean that literally or that it is jacking up your shirts? At worst the knurling should only fray your shirt a bit and leave little diamond impressions on your skin. If it's hurting your back the bar might be sliding a bit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't bother.

View Quote

True oly bars have a very gentle center knurling FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Yesterday ordered the following:

Rogue Chan bar
Rogue Bumpers 160lb (10,25,45)
Rogue Bench
Champion iron plates- 4x10, 4x5, 2x2.5

Will post more pics once I get everything set up.  Thanks to everyone for all the advice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#20]
My old home gym.  Foolishly, I sold it all but have now purchased a new Rogue bar and a set of 45 iron plates.  I still have all of my smaller plates from when the photo was taken.  I'm not sure I'll ever squat heavy again so it may just end up being deadlifts, power cleans, presses and bodyweight exercises......if I ever got off my ass and start exercising again!  

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I decided to take my chances an an Amazon Warehouse Deal for the PPR200x power rack.  Today only one box arrived marked "Box 3 of 3."  Dangit amazon.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't bother.

View Quote

Don't you need the knurling to keep the bar from slipping? I am pretty happy with the grip on the bars at my gym, and my back is tear-free. Not sure what your definition of heavy is though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got the rack assembled.  The stuff from Rogue arrives Tuesday, stoked to get started.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just got the rack assembled.  The stuff from Rogue arrives Tuesday, stoked to get started.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/verticalgain/misc/20160430_160611_zpsp0vb8vt3.jpg
View Quote

Nice set-up.  How tall is your ceiling, can you OHP?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/verticalgain/misc/20160430_160611_zpsp0vb8vt3.jpg

Can't OHP inside the rack, but I SHOULD have enough room outside it hopefully.  If not possible with bumpers I will pick up some iron 25's to save a few inches.

Ceiling is 8', platform is 1 3/4" tall.  I am 5' 9".  

For anyone considering this rack, it seems VERY solid and stable.

ETA: the pullup bar is 81.5" to center off the ground.  This also appears to be where my overhead press bar height will be.  There is 13.5" between center of bar and ceiling.  So on paper I can OHP with bumpers outside the cage and not hit the ceiling.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#26]
While on the subject of ceiling height, I picked up a flat panel LED fixture for around $30 at Lowes.

The room had previously had a ceiling fan, so when I ditched it to make room I went with the lowest profile light I could.

It is very bright, and lights the room better than the old 3×60watt ceiling fan did. It generates no heat.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Potato pics of the new setup.  Matt Chan bar.

I've got 2x of 10, 25, and 45 bumpers.  I'm going to double up on them in a month or two.

I've got 4x 25, 10, 5, and 2.5 iron weights as well.  Currently have 330 lbs in weights not counting the bar so I should be set for a while.

For anyone on the fence about center knurling I recommend the Chan bar.  It is center knurled like a Maglight or something, it is all valleys and no points.  The grips are knurled with a grippy "pointy" knurl.

I will post pics after I make plate racks for either side of the power rack, and I'll review everything after I've been able to use it a couple months.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Built some plate racks out of 2x6.

The cross pieces are all 17".

I have one of these on each side of the rack.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Neat!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top