Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 2:27:05 PM EDT
Short story: New job and new house have wrecked my life for the last two months. Now that things are returning steady state I've made a commitment to become strong and look good naked

5'-8", 187 lbs

What I've done so far:
1) Ordered Starting Strength
2) Downloaded Myfitnesspal
3) Asked the SO to be supportive, she's on board

Any other basics I need to cover? I'm not really sure about the macro breakdown in MFP, do you guys move those %'s around?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I worked up maxes for deadlift, bench, and squats on a long session Saturday. 235/265/365. If I could add 50lbs each in the next 4-6 months I would be happy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you're off to a good start. Is that last number DL or squat?

As far as macros I usually end up around 30p/50f/20c and that seems to work pretty good for me when I'm not trying to make any huge changes. You'll have to play around with it though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. The last number is the deadlift. My squat number should be higher in theory, my first guess is I have some technique issues.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. The last number is the deadlift. My squat number should be higher in theory, my first guess is I have some technique issues.
View Quote

Yeah I'd guess so. Feel free to post video for critique. We will make fun of you, but then we'll help
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Will do. Youtube link the best option?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Post sold to: Instagram

For short vids, instagram is the easiest.  Download the app, create account.  Video with the app, edit and upload.  Done.  Downsides are this site isn't embed friendly with instagram and there is no pause option.

Youtube is just more of pain to upload.

EDIT:  Now that I think about it, there has to be an app for phones which would make it easier, never played around with it myself.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For short vids, instagram is the easiest.  Download the app, create account.  Video with the app, edit and upload.  Done.  Downsides are this site isn't embed friendly with instagram and there is no pause option.

EDIT:  Now that I think about it, there has to be an app for phones which would make it easier, never played around with it myself.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phone to YouTube is pretty easy, then we can embed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Only thing I see missing is "spiritual"  Good luck OP
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay. Get your popcorn...205x5. Camerawork sucks, but best I could do.

https://youtu.be/DMhiJMqZ4TU
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Okay. Get your popcorn...205x5. Camerawork sucks, but best I could do.

https://youtu.be/DMhiJMqZ4TU
View Quote

You initiate with knees forward. Try unlocking knees and sending hips back first. Otherwise IMO it looks pretty good. Others may have more for you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I worked up maxes for deadlift, bench, and squats on a long session Saturday. 235/265/365. If I could add 50lbs each in the next 4-6 months I would be happy.
View Quote

What program are you running? How much time can you commit to lifting and food prep each week? Can you hit 180g of protein a day? The 5/3/1 thread is the GD of SD&F. Or post updates here!

Awesome you are getting after it! For the record, I don't like you... Been here one day, and already lift more than I do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What program are you running? How much time can you commit to lifting and food prep each week? Can you hit 180g of protein a day? The 5/3/1 thread is the GD of SD&F. Or post updates here!

Awesome you are getting after it! For the record, I don't like you... Been here one day, and already lift more than I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Starting strength. I have about one hour six days a week for workouts. I can food prep as needed, but I usually do leftovers from dinner. Wife cooks 5 nights a week. 180g is doable but I need to be dilligent. I think with a shake and more eggs in the am I can hit that. I do run 3-4 miles on the non lifting days (I know that's not in the program). I will likely go to intervals/hills/sprints once it starts to impact my progress. Thanks for the help thus far!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Get your wife to cook twice the amount of chicken the family needs. Cut it into 5oz chunks and put them in baggies. Eat two a day... Eating leftovers means the leftovers need to be protein.

I eat eggs for breakfast. I also boil eggs to eat during the day.

For sure set the macros in your program for your goals.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#15]
can you squat below parallel with no weight? ie can you do the "3rd world" squat? i worked towards 2 mins in full squat at home while watching tv at night. start squatting more in your daily activities. drop something on the floor? squat and pick it up instead of bending over.

aim for a more upright torso. I think once you can squat high bar vertical torso, you can shift to the wider stance, low bar leaning forward type squat if  you want. I prefer the narrower stance, high bar, vertical torso squatting myself. don't forget about your ankle mobility too. dedicated squat shoes with the elevated heel can help.

i add some pause squats in my warmup too. ill load up 135 and sit/rest in the bottom position for 3-5 seconds.

it didn't look like you got a good brace before you picked up the weight. lock your hips forward (externally rotate hips, screw outward into ground), inhale into diaphram and create pressure in your abdomen. that pressure keeps your spine rigid. if you wear a belt, you should be pressing out into the belt.

you are also getting a little "butt wink" at the bottom. I think the bracing can help to fix it.

This book helped me out a lot too
http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Supple-Leopard-Preventing-Performance/dp/1936608588

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll try out the 3rd world squat incorporation.  The rack height is adjustable but that particular one either places the bar to high or too low. I had get a little tip toed to unrack the weight. I'll set it to the lower position Friday to see if that helps. I'll try the high bar that day as well. Deadlift video will be inbound tomorrow morning as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll try out the 3rd world squat incorporation.  The rack height is adjustable but that particular one either places the bar to high or too low. I had get a little tip toed to unrack the weight. I'll set it to the lower position Friday to see if that helps. I'll try the high bar that day as well. Deadlift video will be inbound tomorrow morning as well.
View Quote

I think its better to be lower than higher on the rack. no way to tip toe it with heavy weight.

I was referring to the "high bar" or "low bar" position of the bar on your back, not in the rack.

keep in mind improving your flexibility/mobility is a long term game and requires consistency. so squatting for 2mins a day everyday, is better than 14 mins of squatting once a week. The gym should not be the only place you hit a full squat. its weird because its such a natural thing, and yet most people have trouble with it. look at young children and how they sit and squat. we should still be like that as adults.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think its better to be lower than higher on the rack. no way to tip toe it with heavy weight.

I was referring to the "high bar" or "low bar" position of the bar on your back, not in the rack.

keep in mind improving your flexibility/mobility is a long term game and requires consistency. so squatting for 2mins a day everyday, is better than 14 mins of squatting once a week. The gym should not be the only place you hit a full squat. its weird because its such a natural thing, and yet most people have trouble with it. look at young children and how they sit and squat. we should still be like that as adults.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 4 year old sits in some of the most retarded positions possible. My knees would never be able to do that because myy knees dislocate sitting Indian style let.

I'm incorporating foam rolling into about every workout. My legs have always been tight and that's always led to injuries. I've have professional trainers who couldn't get my legs to loosen up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood. High bar squats tomorrow. Deadlifts tomorrow. OHP tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Ate lunch early. 3 miles in 26:02. Heart and lungs were good to go, my legs felt rough after the first 800 meters.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#21]
https://youtu.be/nku-DV1yClg

Last set. Need chalk, I can't hang on. Grip strength needs improvement.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#23]
your DL didn't look too bad. back looked slightly rounded.

Chalk is a must. I couldn't tell but are you wrapping your thumbs over your fingers? kind of a reverse hook grip. I find it helps. Ive also ready keep the double overhand grip is better at developing grip strength and really focus on crushing the bar.

I'd say overall, for both your squat and DL, it looks like you are rushing into the lift and not getting yourself "set" for it. I like to get set up the same way every time, that way every lift is the same, almost OCD like.

For DL, its step up to bar, lock in hips, lats and abs, all while standing up. You should get your tension and rigidity unloaded, otherwise its tough to get under load. Bend at the hips, then knees to grip bar. Grip, preload bar, get my last 3 breaths, and lift.

After I hurt my back I had to take a hard look at my form and locking in the tightness before lifting really helped me. I hadn't been doing that for years. Also hadn't been deadlifting much either. started and now my back is much stronger, healthier and less painful.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I may try to get some liquid chalk to throw into my bag. The gym doesn't have any that I've seen. I'll try to get some better setups for the lifts this week, I was rushing to keep the video short. I haven't got the hook grip to work for me, I can't get enough thumb around the bar to create a ledge. I've been using alternating grip and switching hands each set.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I may try to get some liquid chalk to throw into my bag. The gym doesn't have any that I've seen. I'll try to get some better setups for the lifts this week, I was rushing to keep the video short. I haven't got the hook grip to work for me, I can't get enough thumb around the bar to create a ledge. I've been using alternating grip and switching hands each set.
View Quote

if they allow it, bring your own in a small bag. its cheap and lasts a long time. I only used up a block in 2 years in SC working out 3-4 days a week in my garage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#26]
8.23 miles/ 1:25:12 yesterday. It sucked the whole time. Course was hillier that I expected and my legs were dead.  Heart and lungs held up fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Squat: 235 [5,5,5,]

Bench 185 [5,5]
           195 [5]

Barbell Rows   155[5,5,5]

I worked on powerclean form with two bumpers. I still need some technique work, so I'm doing barbell rows until I can figure that out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Are you resting enough?  It sounds like you are running 5k's after heavy lift days, and I don't think that is good.  

Rest is essential.

Eating is the majority of this battle, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Are you resting enough?  It sounds like you are running 5k's after heavy lift days, and I don't think that is good.  

Rest is essential.

Eating is the majority of this battle, anyway.
View Quote

I've got at least one day between my long runs (Sunday) and heavy days. A typical week would look like this:

M: Workout A
T:  2 miles with speedwork
W: Workout B
TH: 3 miles easy
F: Workout A
Sa:Off
Su:Long Run (~1hr)

Right now I'm hitting my repetitions, but I know that wont last forever. I will reduce mileage/rework cardio as needed when that happens. Sleep is good (about 8 hrs), and I'm not in a calorie deficit right now, even with the running. I dont feel fatigued otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#30]
20 mins cardio. 30 secs at 100% every 3 minutes, 6 reps. 2 miles in 19:57.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Squats
275 x5.    An all time PR for me !!!
275 x3
225x5

Deadlift
365x2
225x10 (x2).  Standard grip to improve grip strength

OHP
115 x 5 (3x)

I took advice from earlier and setup each set, braced my torso and went for it. Made a huge change. Dropped my weight back on DL, felt like I wasn't braced well from the fatigue of the squats
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Saturday 3.0 Miles @ 9:58 min/mi
Sunday 4.0 Miles @ 10:12 min/mi

I need to get some "before" pictures going soon. I'd like to see what I've done in 8 weeks
Missed the 5:30 AM workout due to the gym having some issues.  Had a headlamp, I could squat in the dark, right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Squat 245 (5,5,5)

Bench 195 (5,5,5)

Barbell rows 135 (5,5,5)
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#34]
20 minutes of tractor tire flips, hitting it with a sledgehammer, drags and jumps onto the tire.  I didnt count reps but kept my heart rate in what I think was in the 150-160 range judging by my breathing. It was a good break from the running.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#35]
New working set PRs yesterday:

Squat 265 [5,5,5]
Bench 215 [5,5,5]
Barbell Row 155 [5,5,5]

Working on running as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
New working set PRs yesterday:

Squat 265 [5,5,5]
Bench 215 [5,5,5]
Barbell Row 155 [5,5,5]

Working on running as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Bodyweight now up to 192. Not what I originally in mind, but my waist size hasnt increased so I will take it.

Major lifts continue to improve. Working sets are now

Squat: 285 (3x5)
Bench: 215 (3x5)
Deads  315 (3x5)
OHP      120 (3x5)

I dropped one steady state cardio for intervals via my 5k thread here. Those start today.  I need to sign up for a 5k in the next month to see where I am at.

1K total for s/b/d at gym is in 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Mini mock lift at the gym Saturday. 365/275/405 @ 190 lb BW.

That's 40 lbs across the board for the lifts since I started this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top